Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2023, 12:07 AM   #1361
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Playoffs is too small of a sample to compare before and after.
It’s not when that’s what the comparison is supposed to be. Why would the sample size have to be bigger to say that Andersen had worse number against Florida than his playoffs pre-Florida? lol. The sample size is literally the exact size required to make the specific point that is being made. You want it to be a different point, so go ahead and make your own.

Quote:
I don't get why it's so hard for people to just admit that what Bobrovsky is doing here is unbelieveable and that he is the biggest reason for this run that the Panthers are on.

The Panthers aren't running over teams offensively here...they are getting what might be the best goaltending performance of the last 20 years in the playoffs.
Says the guy twisting himself in knots saying “sample size! sample size! Florida isn’t running over anyone offensively!” when someone brings up that they are making opposing goaltenders look worse than they had looked just prior to facing Florida? lol. Come on. You’re the one having a hard time here. Where did I say they were running over anyone?

It’s pretty easy to believe what Bob is doing because he’s actually doing it. You just watch the games and see it, no belief required.

Nobody is struggling to heap praise on Bobrovsky. He’s playing lights out. It’s funny watching a couple of you freak out whenever any praise is placed on literally anyone else, though.

Tkachuk is also sitting 2nd in points out of all players in the playoffs, if we’re allowed to say that. The top Hurricanes sit 16th and 17th.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:22 AM   #1362
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it has already been mentioned multiple times, but this Panthers team finished the regular season one point behind the Flames. Unbelievable.

Well, if you're a Flames fan, quite believable I guess.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:22 AM   #1363
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Regular season is against a basket of teams including the half that don’t qualify for the playoffs

One could argue it’s less relevant than the playoff data set

Either way. Florida is playing well, and Bob is playing outstanding. On that we all agree
See...I don't think Florida is playing amazing hockey by any means. If they had a .915 save percentage nobody would say they are playing well. Bobrovsky, Tkachuk and a couple others are playing well but really that's it.

2.79 Goals For Per 60
2.97 xGoals For Per 60

Neither of those are remarkable numbers...in fact it's actually quite poor and in the bottom half of playoff teams so far.

3.52 xGoals Against Per 60

Only the Rangers are worse in the playoffs and it would have ranked 29th in the regular season between Columbus and Arizona.

12.7 HD Corsi For
14.3 HD Corsi Against

Third worst high danger chances against, middle of the pack for high danger chances for. Both worse than their regular season numbers.

28.4 Shots For per 60
33.3 Shots Against per 60

Both shots for and shots against are in the bottom 5 for playoff teams so far this playoff season.

2.4 Goals Against Per 60 (3rd best)
.928 Save Percentage (Best)

They have won 11 of 12 games which is great...but 9 of those were one goal games, 6 of those were OT games, and that's with a goalie with a .942 save percentage over those 12 games. They have been very, very fortunate to be in the position they are in, largely on the back of their goaltending and timely goals from Tkachuk and co.

They have gotten the job done which is all that matters, but it's mostly because of Bobrovsky being unreal over the last 12 games.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:26 AM   #1364
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s not when that’s what the comparison is supposed to be. Why would the sample size have to be bigger to say that Andersen had worse number against Florida than his playoffs pre-Florida? lol. The sample size is literally the exact size required to make the specific point that is being made. You want it to be a different point, so go ahead and make your own.

Says the guy twisting himself in knots saying “sample size! sample size! Florida isn’t running over anyone offensively!” when someone brings up that they are making opposing goaltenders look worse than they had looked just prior to facing Florida? lol. Come on. You’re the one having a hard time here. Where did I say they were running over anyone?

It’s pretty easy to believe what Bob is doing because he’s actually doing it. You just watch the games and see it, no belief required.

Nobody is struggling to heap praise on Bobrovsky. He’s playing lights out. It’s funny watching a couple of you freak out whenever any praise is placed on literally anyone else, though.

Tkachuk is also sitting 2nd in points out of all players in the playoffs, if we’re allowed to say that. The top Hurricanes sit 16th and 17th.
Because the point you tried to make IMO is kind of irrelevant. Toronto and Carolina's goaltending wasn't bad by any means. It was right in line with their regular season performances. Florida didn't make these teams look worse defensively, they actually allowed fewer goals against per game against the Panthers.

Toronto had a .909 save percentage in the regular season, .893 save percentage in round one and a .909 in round 2.

Carolina was .902 in the regular season, .914 in round one, .902 in round two, and now .922 in round 3.

So tell me now Toronto and Carolina got worse goaltending against Florida than in their previous rounds or the regular season, when their save percentage was actually better. You cherry-picked the stats to try to make it look like Florida was making these teams look bad defensively and exposing their goalies.

The point is the Panthers aren't winning because of goal scoring. 24 goals (20 in regulation) over their last 9 games isn't good offensive production.

They aren't making any teams look bad defensively or goalies look poor (outside of Ullmark)

I've said this entire time they are winning because of Bobrovsky's play, and then timely scoring from Tkachuk. But IMO the way bigger factor is Bobrovsky, because if it's not for him they wouldn't be in positon to even have these timely OT and late game winners.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-25-2023 at 12:38 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:26 AM   #1365
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just enjoy it.
None of us here controls the destiny of individual players, teams, management, outcomes ...
Enjoy the 2023 NHL playoffs.
Panthers and looking like the Knights.
Forget for a moment all the surrounding BS and personal bias.
This is just a brief moment in time. Your opinions about it all shall be of no consequence. Everything is as it shall be.
Enjoy and have some fun !
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alnigi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 02:43 AM   #1366
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I'm sure it has already been mentioned multiple times, but this Panthers team finished the regular season one point behind the Flames. Unbelievable.

Well, if you're a Flames fan, quite believable I guess.
Finishing a point ahead of Florida when you’re playing in the Western Conference isn’t quite the achievement it appears to be.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 03:25 AM   #1367
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another dagger

There has never been anyone like Matthew Tkachuk for the Florida Panthers
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 04:03 AM   #1368
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Chucky praised Brad in his post-game interview “I was fortunate enough to deal with another unbelievable guy in Calgary in Brad Treliving”
Old 05-25-2023, 05:42 AM   #1369
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
How is that article a "dagger"?

Florida fans are obviously happy with the trade and Tkachuk has been clutch.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:52 AM   #1370
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Finishing a point ahead of Florida when you’re playing in the Western Conference isn’t quite the achievement it appears to be.
Sure, I get that. But funny to think how we have viewed this season as an unmitigated disaster for the Flames, now GM and coach gone, and meanwhile Florida scraped in and is now sailing through to the finals.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:04 AM   #1371
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida were the heavy underdogs in every series they faced, now media (and some fans in here) are talking like they already won the cup. Be interesting to see how they square up against the west when they are now being hyped.

Panthers are definitely rolling now though, 11-1 in their last 12? remarkable
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:12 AM   #1372
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
That was a wizard trade and still is. GMBT turned a losing position into a bidding war between two teams that knew they needed Matthew in order to take the next step - and they were both right. I bet Canes wish now that they had upped the ante and made a better offer.
I have to imagine Waddell is second guessing his offers to the Flames after seeing Tkachuk play a big role in sweeping his team in the conference final. They have built a really solid team but it's missing that truly elite forward. That definitely has to sting but they are a frugal organization so sometimes they are going to miss out when it comes to bidding for top players. I wonder if they look at making a bit of a shakeup this offseason or stay the course and hope that a healthy Svechnikov could be the difference maker next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #1373
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Panthers aren't running over teams offensively here...they are getting what might be the best goaltending performance of the last 20 years in the playoffs.

That's how they play though, they sit on leads and turtle. Analytics seem rather futile when that's the way they choose to play.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:16 AM   #1374
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Because the point you tried to make IMO is kind of irrelevant. Toronto and Carolina's goaltending wasn't bad by any means. It was right in line with their regular season performances. Florida didn't make these teams look worse defensively, they actually allowed fewer goals against per game against the Panthers.

Toronto had a .909 save percentage in the regular season, .893 save percentage in round one and a .909 in round 2.

Carolina was .902 in the regular season, .914 in round one, .902 in round two, and now .922 in round 3.

So tell me now Toronto and Carolina got worse goaltending against Florida than in their previous rounds or the regular season, when their save percentage was actually better. You cherry-picked the stats to try to make it look like Florida was making these teams look bad defensively and exposing their goalies.
lol, no man, I said nothing about making teams look bad defensively and very specifically said they made the starting goaltenders look worse. I laid out the stats. They made Ullmark, Samsonov, and Andersen (the three starting goaltenders) look worse than they had previously. You can’t complain about sample size and then complain that I have included Woll’s .800 4 save performance in round 1 and below-his-season performance in round 2.

Don’t think the point is relevant? Good for you. Want to argue against some other point I didn’t make? Have fun but, honestly, why would I care about you contradicting a point I didn’t make? lol. The stats are the stats.

I don’t know why some of you guys are so desperate to limit any praise of the Panthers. Tkachuk scoring timely goals? Sure, he’s also scoring lots of goals, and will probably be the top scorer by the time the finals wrap. Amazing goaltending? Absolutely. But the creativity on the offensive zone, the forecheck, the physical play, it’s all a big factor.

Watch the games, enjoy it. What Bob is doing? Incredible. But there is lots to be amazed by. They’re a super fun team to watch all over the ice. Don’t be so desperate about making sure Bob gets all the credit.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 07:59 AM   #1375
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Florida's 2023 path to the SC finals is very similar to the Caps 2018 Stanley cup.

-Caps were the president trophy winners the year prior in 2017 and Cats were president trophy winners in 2022

-Caps started with Grubauer and switch to their go to guy Holtby after 3 games. Cats started with Lyons and switch to their go to guy Bob after 2 games.

-Caps were down by 2 games vs Clb heading to OT and won in double OT.
Cats were down by 2 games vs Bos heading to OT and won in OT.

And who did the Caps beat in the finals in 2018?

Vegas Golden Knights! who are one game away from the finals.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 08:12 AM   #1376
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Chucky praised Brad in his post-game interview “I was fortunate enough to deal with another unbelievable guy in Calgary in Brad Treliving”
Yeah, because he made Brad his b****
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 08:27 AM   #1377
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Florida's record vs the west was 13-15-4 ,469 so yeah pretty sure that if Florida would been playing in the west they would have had a way better record than the Flames!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #1378
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It definitely feels like Sutter’s Kings in 2012.

However, Vegas is no slouch — if they can finish off the Stars it will set up an interesting final. Wonder how Barkov is health wise.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #1379
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm en route to win my playoff pool because I banked on FLA to take out BOS in the first round, and now they're riding that belief and momentum all the way to the cup final. I picked Bob as one of my 3 goaltenders.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #1380
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm en route to win my playoff pool because I banked on FLA to take out BOS in the first round, and now they're riding that belief and momentum all the way to the cup final. I picked Bob as one of my 3 goaltenders.
Congratulations. I doubt there were many that picked Bob at the start of the playoffs
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote