Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2023, 09:35 PM   #1281
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think LA was 16-4 in 2012.
Colorado went 16-4 last year as well.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:35 PM   #1282
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lots of people on both rooting sides in this series thought it was silly to immediately bring up Huberdeau in a series thread like he had anything to do with it.

You "give it up". I am free to post here as I like
The “give it up” was uncalled for. Sorry.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:35 PM   #1283
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a reminder how the Panthers are actually pretty garbage, below average team outside their goaltending. It's incredible how bad you can be and still luck into SC finals

Quote:
outside of their current goaltending they are very average, like 17th overall mushy middle
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:37 PM   #1284
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Just a reminder how the Panthers are actually pretty garbage, below average team outside their goaltending. It's incredible how bad you can be and still luck into SC finals
Goaltending can go a long way obviously...I never said bad I said average

Montreal was in the finals 2 years ago and were a bottom feeder the next season

Last edited by dino7c; 05-24-2023 at 09:40 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:39 PM   #1285
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if serious.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:39 PM   #1286
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. wow, ok, i get the tre firing now. ouch.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:41 PM   #1287
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Treliving hadn't walked himself out the door he'd be having a pretty hard time showing up at the office after these playoffs.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:42 PM   #1288
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
lol. wow, ok, i get the tre firing now. ouch.
Well he wasn't fired.

But I do get the Maurice resignation.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:42 PM   #1289
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
If Treliving hadn't walked himself out the door he'd be having a pretty hard time showing up at the office after these playoffs.
The team in your avatar wants to hire him
Old 05-24-2023, 09:46 PM   #1290
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What can I say? I'm in awe of this team and especially the ex-Flames, who all contributed tonight in a big way (Tkachuk, Bennett, Lomberg). Panthers narrowly won each game against an incredibly coached team who worked their butt off in this series.

I'm still in a raw emotional state after the passing of my dog Lucy. For the last decade (which is eerily just about as long as I've been o CP) she's been the focus of my love and attention as we raised her from a pup at just 9 weeks old. She was the sweetest and most loving creature I've ever known, but as a purebred dog she had a host of genetic health issues. She had a growth plate close on her radius as a puppy, which means she needed bone lengthening surgery in her first year of life just so she could walk normally. We found out about 1.5 years in that she was epileptic, and she needed regular medication to manage her seizures. Even with medication, she would have a violent seizure every few months which was terrifying to witness and deal with. Then about 3 years ago we discovered a heart murmur due to multiple genetic valve defects. That progressed quickly into a serious heart condition which we again managed carefully with medication just to give her the best chance at a long time period before the inevitable congestive heart failure would take her. About 2 weeks ago, she began to go into heart failure, and in the middle of the night early Sunday morning, we were forced to make a hard choice to end her suffering because she could no longer breathe properly due to fluid in her lungs.

Still right until that final night, she was an extremely happy dog who brought nothing but joy to anyone she met. Our friends, family, and neighbors all saw this and have expressed an outpouring of love for her after hearing the news. Many of my neighbors saw her on daily walks and got to experience her friendly nature. They are all devastated just as much as we are. One of my neighbors is a veterinarian who is in his 70s, and he has said time and again what a special dog she is/was.

My pup would often watch hockey with me late at night, and be woken up by my screams when my team did something good. She always came to check on me, slightly worried by my yelling, and quickly realized it was a good thing and celebrated along with me. My best friend and companion for the last 10 years is gone, but not forgotten. I'm sure she would have loved this win just as much as I do.

I've been trying to upload a couple of pics from photobucket for the last while, but that site has become dickish in the fees you need to pay to host images. Instead, I'll just post a photo that may as well be her since it looks so similar.

Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:47 PM   #1291
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The team in your avatar wants to hire him
They can go ahead and do so. I still respect that he at least took his shot and went for it with the team last year, nonetheless he looks pretty bad right now with the pieces that slipped through his fingers and the mess the team was left in.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:48 PM   #1292
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barkov with big big props for Chucky as a player and person. Called him a huge addition that is felt throughout the entire organization.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:49 PM   #1293
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Barkov with big big props for Chucky as a player and person. Called him a huge addition that is felt throughout the entire organization.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:49 PM   #1294
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Might as well just give him the C. Guy is the new face of the franchise
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #1295
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
With their best forward out and other major injuries they lost 4 one goal games and 2 in OT.

Nothing really "happened" to them
Their 3 highest point getters in the regular season (Necas, Aho and Burns) played all four games in this series. Not sure what you're on about with that. Also, what are these other major injuries they had?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #1296
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Goaltending can go a long way obviously...I never said bad I said average

Montreal was in the finals 2 years ago
Problem is the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Much like the Flames the Panthers were better than their 17th OV regular season record would suggest, because they were cratered by bad PDO in the regular season. But now probably a bit fortunate that their PDO has shifted to the other side of the equilibrium.

The parallels between the Panthers and Flames regular seasons is actually kind of funny.

Panthers: 92 points - 17th

GF%:
Flames: 51.1% - 17th
Panthers: 51.4% - 16th

xGF%:
Flames: 55.1% - 3rd
Panthers: 53.5% - 8th

HDCF%:
Flames: 53.5% - 10th
Panthers: 54.4% - 4th

Shooting %:
Flames: 8.75% - 32nd
Panthers: 9.53% - 22nd

Save %:
Flames: .899 - 24th
Panthers: .896 - 19th

PDO:
Flames: .977 - 31st
Panthers: .991 - 25th

Both fan bases were pretty sick of their coaches, as fans thought Maurice was a big issue with the team in the regular season...

But now Florida snuck in with 92 points, had their PDO jump to 1.026 (2nd behind only Vegas) and are in the finals.

It's why lots of people still thought the Flames could do damage if they snuck in too...the underlying numbers support that they were better than their record indicated.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 09:55 PM   #1297
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Their 3 highest point getters in the regular season (Necas, Aho and Burns) played all four games in this series. Not sure what you're on about with that. Also, what are these other major injuries they had?
Svechnikov and Pacioretty are pretty big losses
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:58 PM   #1298
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Svechnikov and Pacioretty are pretty big losses
Svech yes
Pac, not really. He was never really part of their team
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:58 PM   #1299
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Suppose Tkachuk doing the Yakupov celebration is a bit more acceptable in this instance
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:02 PM   #1300
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Problem is the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Much like the Flames the Panthers were better than their 17th OV regular season record would suggest, because they were cratered by bad PDO in the regular season. But now probably a bit fortunate that their PDO has shifted to the other side of the equilibrium.

The parallels between the Panthers and Flames regular seasons is actually kind of funny.

Panthers: 92 points - 17th

GF%:
Flames: 51.1% - 17th
Panthers: 51.4% - 16th

xGF%:
Flames: 55.1% - 3rd
Panthers: 53.5% - 8th

HDCF%:
Flames: 53.5% - 10th
Panthers: 54.4% - 4th

Shooting %:
Flames: 8.75% - 32nd
Panthers: 9.53% - 22nd

Save %:
Flames: .899 - 24th
Panthers: .896 - 19th

PDO:
Flames: .977 - 31st
Panthers: .991 - 25th

Both fan bases were pretty sick of their coaches, as fans thought Maurice was a big issue with the team in the regular season...

But now Florida snuck in with 92 points, had their PDO jump to 1.026 (2nd behind only Vegas) and are in the finals.

It's why lots of people still thought the Flames could do damage if they snuck in too...the underlying numbers support that they were better than their record indicated.
What you're missing in your season-wide comparisons is the massive nosedive Florida took in November and December, due to substantial injuries to Barkov and Ekblad at the same time.

If look at month-to-month, you'd see Calgary spiked in October but then stayed at pretty much the same levels (trending down) throughout the rest of the season. Florida, on the other hand, was a much better team for most of the season, but spiked downward significantly during the injuries I mentioned above.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote