Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #41
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Don't start Smith against the Islanders. We don't want a repeat of last year.
Wouldn't that have been in the Barclay's centre last year?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #42
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very surprised Peters is going right back to Smith. I thought this was going to be a situation where they rise the goalie winning until the duration gets too long and then swap, but clearly not the case.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon26

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Very surprised Peters is going right back to Smith. I thought this was going to be a situation where they rise the goalie winning until the duration gets too long and then swap, but clearly not the case.
Back to back and Smith beat the Islanders last week.

Islanders are a team that likes to grind you on the forecheck, and they had a tough time getting their forecheck going with Smith in net last week so likely just going with that again.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #44
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I think it is pretty clear that Smith is the number 1 right now. No other way to spin 5 starts, a great showing from BSD and then right back to Smith. Emphasis on right now. Smith could implode at any time, as we all know.

But the current plan is for him to be #1.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
I think it is pretty clear that Smith is the number 1 right now. No other way to spin 5 starts, a great showing from BSD and then right back to Smith. Emphasis on right now. Smith could implode at any time, as we all know.

Rittich will get two of three starts in four days between yesterday's game and Wednesday. There is absolutely nothing clear about the Flames goaltending situation beyond the fact that they have two of them that they feel confident playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #46
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Trotz says Smitty's puckhandling was a huge reason the Isles didn't get much going then it makes sense.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #47
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Was Rittich's start really that great? That AHL team hit two posts.

Rittich looked a bit shakey to me. A win is a win and he can build on that.

I think the Flames are managing the goalies perfectly. Rittich took a hit a few weeks ago and they are slowly building his confidence back up again against easy competition.

He gets the Sens and then the Devils.

Smith has been playing well and his confidence is high. Put him in against the good teams.

The key is to get both goalies confidence up high for the playoffs. Flames will need both.

There really shouldn't be a Team Smith vs Team Rittich on here. They are both Calgary Flames.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #48
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Rittich looked a bit shakey to me. A win is a win and he can build on that.

I think the Flames are managing the goalies perfectly. Rittich took a hit a few weeks ago and they are slowly building his confidence back up again against easy competition.

He gets the Sens and then the Devils.

Smith has been playing well and his confidence is high. Put him in against the good teams.

The key is to get both goalies confidence up high for the playoffs. Flames will need both.

There really shouldn't be a Team Smith vs Team Rittich on here. They are both Calgary Flames.
We are singing off the same song sheet. My point is that it is obvious to me that, right now, Smith is the clear #1 based on what we’ve seen since the break. And assuming his play keeps up, that is exactly what Peters wants.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
No, it wasn't. But his body of work on the season, is.

If it's just about what have you done for me lately...were any of Smith's starts really "that great"? Pittsburgh got 4 past him, The Coyotes and Ducks were AHL teams themselves, he let in a pretty weak goal or two to let the Islanders tie it up, and the Panthers weren't especially dangerous either.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #50
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At the very least Flames coaching wants Smith to be the #1.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #51
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
No, it wasn't. But his body of work is.

If it's just about what have you done for me lately...were any of Smith's starts really "that great"? Pittsburgh got 4 past him, The Coyotes and Ducks were AHL teams themselves, he let in a pretty weak goal or two to let the Islanders tie it up, and the Panthers weren't especially dangerous either.
Rittich has been bad since the new year, based on objective metrics. Moustache man will probably chime in and take you through a goal by goal analysis to support his theory that he has t been bad, but the numbers are not good. He was letting in a bunch of softies before Smith went in for 5 straight.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The Flames want their experienced, veteran goalie playing at the top of his game in time for the playoffs. I think it amounts to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #53
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Incorrect. Flames coaching staff just wants to win.

Why do they care who the number 1 goalie is?

Rittich is by all accounts a good guy. Why would the coaching staff have a bias for Smith?

They just want to win and they play whoever is playing well.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #54
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think they want both goalies to be confident and playing well into the playoffs. When Rittich was ahead, he was playing all the good teams and Smith weaker competition to regain confidence - it seems to be working. Right now, that has switched around.

They will just play who is playing better going in. If one stumbles they want to be able to have the other prepared to jump in and hopefully carry the ball.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #55
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I again think there is a terrible double standard in the way the org approaches smith and rittich and disagree with it vehemently. Rittich played very well last game and deserves another start. Dont care at all about the back to back.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #56
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Rittich will get two of three starts in four days between yesterday's game and Wednesday. There is absolutely nothing clear about the Flames goaltending situation beyond the fact that they have two of them that they feel confident playing.
I disagree. The five straight was telling imo. Smith is #1 right now. Not saying that can’t or won’t change, but throwing him in there for 5 straight was telling to me.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy the discussion.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #57
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I again think there is a terrible double standard in the way the org approaches smith and rittich and disagree with it vehemently. Rittich played very well last game and deserves another start. Dont care at all about the back to back.
We have won 5 straight and are the #2 team in the league. There may be a double standard, but it's not "terrible". It's calculated for success.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #58
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Yeah, I think they want both goalies to be confident and playing well into the playoffs. When Rittich was ahead, he was playing all the good teams and Smith weaker competition to regain confidence - it seems to be working. Right now, that has switched around.

They will just play who is playing better going in. If one stumbles they want to be able to have the other prepared to jump in and hopefully carry the ball.
Agree. But on Feb 25 it looks like Smith’s crease to lose right now. If we go on an extended run I have no doubt both of these guys will be playing in the playoffs.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #59
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, what ever the situation with the #1 spot, I'd much rather have the current situation where both goalies have played well recently than the previous situation where neither had recently looked great.

Still a lot of time until the playoffs, plenty of time for ups and downs for both guys.

I think mostly we as fans could try to give them a bit of peace to work on their games.

(I'm still betting on Rittich being the playoff starter, but goalies are voodoo.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #60
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Season saved. You don't win Cups without your #1 dman who is having a Hart-worthy season and is our MVP.
Pretty sure we won Trade Deadline Day with this news alone...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote