Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: In accordance with the stipulated conditions, what should the Flames do by Monday?
Add top 6 forward and give up major assets 82 29.71%
Add depth forward and give up minor asset 60 21.74%
Add depth Dman and give up minor asset 25 9.06%
Add starting goalie and give up major assets 6 2.17%
Add backup goalie and give up minor asset 7 2.54%
Stand pat with no moves at deadline since we are deep and have a long contender window 90 32.61%
Sell something at deadline for offseason cap space relief and a draft pick given how deep the team is 6 2.17%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default What Should the Flames Do By Monday? Poll?

I would suggest a weekend poll in the lead up to Monday's trade deadline that is something like this:

1. Add top 6 forward and give up major assets
2. Add depth forward and give up minor asset
3. Add depth Dman and give up minor asset
4. Add starting goalie and give up major assets
5. Add backup goalie and give up minor asset
6. Stand pat with no moves at deadline since we are deep enough and have a long contender window to consider
7. Sell something at deadline for offseason cap space and a draft pick given how deep the team is

The last few games have convinced me we have lots of depth across the forward and Dman group to stand pat.

Given the following:

Return to health of Valimaki and Stone
Excellent play of Kylington and Andersson. Prout serviceable.
Emergence of Czarnik and Eatbread as solid depth forwards.
Stellar play of Quine, Lazar and Dube in Stockton as black aces.

Goaltending is a wildcard but better to address in offseason when options greater since so critical to organization. Smith starting to look comfortable anyways.

Lets hold onto what we have within our somewhat shrunken prospect pool and our limited 2019 picks and run with what we have into postseason. It seems to be a seller's market so far.

I wonder what proportion of CPers feel the same way?

BT usually does something unexpected anyways.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Only hole in our lineup is goaltending IMO, but I don’t see us making a move since there are no clear upgrade options.

Love the chemistry, so stand pat.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote = Add top 6 forward

Ideally I would like the Flames to add Hayes....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a hold for this year.

I don’t like a rental on the top 6 - too expensive
We don’t have cap space to sign a top 6 rental
I like our bottom 6
I think depth on D is sufficient
We could use a top 10 goalie but I don’t like Bob and not much else is there and I don’t see any value in a back up.

So I think this is a hold our draft our draft picks.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1 or 6 for me. I’m only giving up a lot for Stone at this point but I’m not upset if we stand pat.
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gilligans_off For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Add a beefier forward - someone with muscle and power to clear defenders. Minor asset given up only.

Alternatively: same as above but a D-man just in case we meet the Sucks.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think trade deadline day is the dumbest day of the year outside of July 1st. The only winners are the selling teams as most buyers end up giving up future assets for rentals that don't work out. Capitals won the cup last season without making any deadline moves and I don't understand why a team like the Flames that's 2nd overall would want to make changes to what's been working all season and Mark Stone won't correct the Flames Achilles heel which is goaltending. It's likely goaltending which will seal the Flames fate this season and that's a bed the GM made in the offseason as there are not really any compelling options in the goaltender market so I would hope Treliving doesn't make any foolish moves to bolster Ottawa's rebuild when this team will only go as far as Smith and Rittich take them.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go all in. Starting goalie and depth defenseman for sure. Maybe a top 6 forward. You never know when this opportunity will come again.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've sold myself on stone or bust at this point. So 1 or 6

Preference for stone because I think we could really take a shot at the cup
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Add a beefier forward - someone with muscle and power to clear defenders. Minor asset given up only.

Alternatively: same as above but a D-man just in case we meet the Sucks.
I still think Clifford is the guy to pick up if he's still available.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the acquisition of a forward, it depends. If it's someone who can be extended, like Burakovsky or Wennberg, then go for it.

If it's a rental like Simmonds, then no. That's just not good usage of assets. Even Zuccarello is way too old for me to want to extend him. I don't see how it's possible to acquire and re-sign Stone. The Flames would have to send Neal or someone back the other way, and that would raise the price.

The Flames are more than fine on offense and defense, and goaltending is by far the largest question mark moving forward.
It would be crazy to get a rental forward when out team is 2nd in goals for, while the goaltending is only average about 90.5% between the two goalies.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending is fine. Now that Smith has found his game you have two solid goalies. Goalies get hot and cold all the time, look at Brobovski's year. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

going with 2.

solid middle six player like a zucherrello/Dzingle/nyquist/johansson

Flames decide that rolling with the number 2 overall team and not disrupting chemistry is more important...and the price for stone is too rich for them, but not winnipeg

we'll see.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
going with 2.

solid middle six player like a zucherrello/Dzingle/nyquist/johansson

Flames decide that rolling with the number 2 overall team and not disrupting chemistry is more important...and the price for stone is too rich for them, but not winnipeg

we'll see.
Chances are, an “all-in” option like Stone is going to also play on the second line - so the effect on team chemistry, it seems to me, would be exactly the same as a Zuccarello type.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Trade for Stone or Zuccarello and a middle-six centre like Brassard. With extra priority given to the former.

Bring up Quine, Graovac, Dube, Rychel, Valiev, and Valimaki.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say stand pat.

This is the first year the Flames look like real contenders, and there will be several years to come with most of our key players locked up long-term. You need to consider the cost of acquisition for a player that will have any significant impact on the lineup, and you also have to carefully consider shifts in chemistry.

The only player I would really want is Stone, but locked up long-term on a deal under $8 million per year, otherwise it will put this team in cap hell.

I don't think the rest of the players would move the needle significantly enough in terms of talent, and it might be a detriment to team chemistry, which is at an all-time high. I'm not all that interested in adding guys like Hayes or Zuccarello, or even depth defensemen/forwards.

This team is exceptionally deep, even at the minor league level with guys like Quine and Lazar available. We are potentially 9 NHL-level defensemen deep if Stone is cleared to play. I see no benefit to getting any depth players.

You also want to see what you have in the current roster for their first real playoff test. Maybe they all shine right away and go deep? We already know what to expect from some of our players from previous playoff experience.

You could argue that goaltending needs to be upgraded, but I think we have two perfectly viable options to start games and win. Most teams can only rely on one to win in the playoffs. Rittich is inexperienced, but talented. Smith is very experienced (including a previous long playoff run), but is getting old. I think Smith still has enough in the gas tank for a playoff run this year, and he seems to be rounding into top form at the right time. Considering the limited goaltending options and the high acquisition cost of any significant goalie, it doesn't make sense to me to take a chance on another goalie when we have two that are capable enough.

I would rather keep thinking long term. At some point we will need young, good, cheap players on ELCs to maintain a competitive window. You have to hold on to top draft picks and high end prospects or rookie NHLers to fill in for older, more expensive veteran players that are no longer part of the core.

If the Flames have a catastrophic playoff failure this year, it would be a genuine surprise. This is the 2nd best team in the league, and they've been continually meeting and surpassing expectations all year. I say let them run. The only team I doubt they could beat in a 7 game series is Tampa Bay. Anyone else they can beat, even the best in the West.

Stand pat and hold onto the future assets.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe in Tre, we're after Stone for a first and a good prospect not named Valimaki or Dube (and another pick or prospect), with a plan to sign Stone, ship out Brodie & Frolik for picks in the offseason to get room for Tkachuk's new deal.

I'm guessing this shoe drops tomorrow.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trade for Kris Kreider.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I say stand pat.

This is the first year the Flames look like real contenders, and there will be several years to come with most of our key players locked up long-term. You need to consider the cost of acquisition for a player that will have any significant impact on the lineup, and you also have to carefully consider shifts in chemistry.

The only player I would really want is Stone, but locked up long-term on a deal under $8 million per year, otherwise it will put this team in cap hell.

I don't think the rest of the players would move the needle significantly enough in terms of talent, and it might be a detriment to team chemistry, which is at an all-time high. I'm not all that interested in adding guys like Hayes or Zuccarello, or even depth defensemen/forwards.

This team is exceptionally deep, even at the minor league level with guys like Quine and Lazar available. We are potentially 9 NHL-level defensemen deep if Stone is cleared to play. I see no benefit to getting any depth players.

You also want to see what you have in the current roster for their first real playoff test. Maybe they all shine right away and go deep? We already know what to expect from some of our players from previous playoff experience.

You could argue that goaltending needs to be upgraded, but I think we have two perfectly viable options to start games and win. Most teams can only rely on one to win in the playoffs. Rittich is inexperienced, but talented. Smith is very experienced (including a previous long playoff run), but is getting old. I think Smith still has enough in the gas tank for a playoff run this year, and he seems to be rounding into top form at the right time. Considering the limited goaltending options and the high acquisition cost of any significant goalie, it doesn't make sense to me to take a chance on another goalie when we have two that are capable enough.

I would rather keep thinking long term. At some point we will need young, good, cheap players on ELCs to maintain a competitive window. You have to hold on to top draft picks and high end prospects or rookie NHLers to fill in for older, more expensive veteran players that are no longer part of the core.

If the Flames have a catastrophic playoff failure this year, it would be a genuine surprise. This is the 2nd best team in the league, and they've been continually meeting and surpassing expectations all year. I say let them run. The only team I doubt they could beat in a 7 game series is Tampa Bay. Anyone else they can beat, even the best in the West.

Stand pat and hold onto the future assets.
I agree with all this, but I do have reservations about Frolik who has one assist in his last eight playoff games. So if we can swap him for a Namestnikov type I'd be stoked.

Oh and I want Ferland back but only if we can dump Neal's salary.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote