Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #81
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I don't talk bad about my boss. I have an excellent working relationship with them and hope that my team feels the same way about me (though I am okay if they don't).

There are enough resources out there where people can be effective bosses and not be the target of being made fun of on a regular basis.

That’s great, but most people talk about other people. What’s said isn’t necessarily even true, but we all vent about our superiors- be it bosses, parents etc.

I don’t really know what you mean by the last paragraph. It doesn’t have anything to do with resources; some bosses/coaches/managers just aren’t very good at aspects of their job and it’s human nature to bitch about it. In fact, I’d argue that it’s actually unifying in a way to vent about your superiors.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #82
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think "acting as their agent" would need to be flushed out far far more thoroughly.

If you were tasked with recording a conversation with a client from your boss and then giving it to him for other uses, that's a lot different then being an employee at McDonald's taking a video of a racist tirade of a customer who came in and not using it for any commercial purpose.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #83
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
The exact same scenario:

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi captured on video describing Uber CEO as a 'dick'

I don't remember this discussions when this occurred but were we as outraged of the secret video recording?

Nenshi was aware of the recording.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #84
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everyone knows the Sens are a joke of a franchise and this just adds to the circus. however the joke know as Sportsnet continues to air the Video (1min) although its obviously sensitive to the organization and they want to sweep it under the carpet. I would hope they would have more respect to continue to air it even though the video has been removed.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #85
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Nenshi was aware of the recording.
No he wasn't. He should have been tipped off by the camera which likely made it legal in Boston, but he's always maintained he was unaware. Which seems reasonable or he wouldn't have said what he said.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #86
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Yes. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Good work environments exist out there.
A good work environment is like a good family.
Still full of plenty of venting, disagreements and occasionally wanting to punch each other in the face.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I get the recording thing, I do.

But this is just another bunch of self entitled players, maybe if you I don't know acted like professionals and shut the F up in a public area where you could be recorded.

Matt Duchene is supposed to be a veteran, a star and a leader on his team and for him to do something this stupid is amazing.

Oh and chances are, if you work for a company and get recorded bad mouthing your boss and it hits twitter, your butt is fired.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #88
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think "acting as their agent" would need to be flushed out far far more thoroughly.

If you were tasked with recording a conversation with a client from your boss and then giving it to him for other uses, that's a lot different then being an employee at McDonald's taking a video of a racist tirade of a customer who came in and not using it for any commercial purpose.
That's interesting. Still I have to be honest that seems like a pretty gray line to me and very poor from a clarity perspective... Having an employee on the clock recording someone and trying to establish whether or not it was as a private citizen or an act of the company sounds like it would be a nightmare.

I always understood the law saying I can't be recorded by businesses or government agencies to include their employees. And personally I would be pretty upset at any employees I ever caught recording customers on their own initiative. Good thing for me to make sure any companies I work for have in any future employee terms and conditions . Anyway thx for discussing.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #89
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ottawa Players busted on Uber camera badmouthing special team coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
No he wasn't. He should have been tipped off by the camera which likely made it legal in Boston, but he's always maintained he was unaware. Which seems reasonable or he wouldn't have said what he said.

I could be mistaken, or maybe just the semantics of recording vs streaming, but I thought he asked the driver what that was (the camera) and the driver told him that he was live-streaming this on Periscope.

Edit: Okay, I guess he only clued in at the end of the trip, so not really the same thing then.

Last edited by Wormius; 11-05-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #90
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, Duchene's gone from one situation to another. I'm not defending the guy but I honestly feel anyone associated with the Senators franchise has one foot out the door.

Honestly, the amount of people knocking duchene for this is rather fascinating in that this is just another paving stone in the poorly constructed sidewalk that is the senators.

I imagine like a few others here that what was said about the Flames coaching staff last year would make what Duchene said Kid'n'play in comparison. And let's not forget that none of the other players really jumped up to defend the coaches. Sounds like Duchene was just saying what everyone was already thinking.

Wanna hang one of them? hang them all.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #91
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would the Senators players ever think an Uber driver in Phoenix would give a damn if they played for the Senators? Don't the Coyotes love playing there because nobody cares who they are? Yet Matt Duchene's star power is enough to get this on the internet? It's probably the last thing they ever thought would happen.

They weren't rude to their driver, I'm sure they tipped him, and that driver is a piece of crap for putting that online.

That said, it's ####ing hilarious to watch these guys mercilessly shred their assistant coach. This is under the Deadspin article about the story.

“Here you are #### talking me in the car. Still #### talking me. And more #### talking. And that pretty much wraps it up. Good meeting, guys.”

The Sens are nothing if not a show.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #92
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
A good work environment is like a good family.
Still full of plenty of venting, disagreements and occasionally wanting to punch each other in the face.
I think there's a different between arguments and anger when people genuinely respect each other instead of what was seen in this video. Then again I never played hockey, so maybe this is how hockey players talk about their bench bosses all the time.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #93
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #94
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I am not familiar with us laws, didnt realize the sens were there. Was thinking Canada. Wow that is brutal privacy legislation... That is not the case here. You need consent to record someone... Like even a doctor for example many people think they have a right to record

The calgary transit stuff, they can record if they've done a privacy review making sure they keep the data safe and have authority to record under some piece of legislation but they could never disclose it unless they have consent or there is a public safety concern or some other express authorization in an act so you're not really at risk there if you're an average joe ripping on your boss.
Canada is one party consent. It would be legal here. When they ask they are being polite and/or doing good p.r.

ETA: sorry, I see others have pointed this out.

Last edited by GioforPM; 11-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:30 AM   #95
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
But this is just another bunch of self entitled players, maybe if you I don't know acted like professionals and shut the F up in a public area where you could be recorded.

Matt Duchene is supposed to be a veteran, a star and a leader on his team and for him to do something this stupid is amazing.
I don't get this. The players seem to have a very legitimate beef they're complaining about, and one that's not surprising. It's a bit embarrassing for the team that this gets out, but the bigger issue here should be that their special teams coaching is a joke.

It's not the first time I've heard of players complaining that coaches do stuff like video meetings seemingly only because they know they're supposed to now. It's "professionalization" through empty gestures. Useless meetings are the scourge of many workplaces, but it's especially aggravating for players who have limited free time to begin with and always have other things they should also be working on.

Tuning out of a useless meeting isn't entitlement, it's protecting your sanity and saving mental energy for more relevant things.

Honestly I wish when coaches are this bad, players would be MORE open about it.

There's useless coaches in hockey that have no business getting paid to do what they do, and only survive because the details of why and how they're bad isn't discussed openly enough.

It brings the sport down, and those people should be cast out like the dead weight they are.

I hope the Senators don't see this as a reason to discipline players, but as a reason to question their coaching.

Last edited by Itse; 11-06-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #96
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
Everyone knows the Sens are a joke of a franchise and this just adds to the circus. however the joke know as Sportsnet continues to air the Video (1min) although its obviously sensitive to the organization and they want to sweep it under the carpet. I would hope they would have more respect to continue to air it even though the video has been removed.
You could say the joke known as TSN because they have some quotes on what was said in written form on their website, https://www.tsn.ca/report-sens-playe...oach-1.1204721

The Ottawa Citizen has the full video on their website, so are they known as the joke too? https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...box=1541465066

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 11-06-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 AM   #97
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I kind of think it was a dick move by the uber driver to release this. Everyone vents about their work places and their bosses. I think most people would dread the idea that their venting was being recorded and used against them. Players are human like everyone else.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Honestly, the amount of people knocking duchene for this is rather fascinating in that this is just another paving stone in the poorly constructed sidewalk that is the senators.
The Avalanche immediately went from dumpster fire to a good team after trading him and that a Senators team that the season before was one game away from playing in the Stanley Cup finals became a dumpster fire after acquiring him. Maybe it's just pure coincidence or maybe he's a little toxic. I imagine as always the answer is somewhere in between.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #99
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
What a scummy Uber driver. Like it or not, people badmouth their bosses all the time. Players will say things like this off-the-record and that's why it should stay off-the-record.
Exactly. The headline of the story shouldn't be what the Sens player were saying. It should be about a POS uber driver who thought it would be cool to air the team's dirty laundry in the confines of his vehicle. Dbag move.

If it's fair game to air this footage, it's fair game for this drivers' name and photo to be released alongside a warning about just how creepy it is to record people as you drive them and then upload it. If it was a car full of pretty drunk girls laughing and giggling about their boyfriends and footage got uploaded, it would be seen as a pretty creepy move. This should be no different.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #100
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I think in AZ you can film anything you want as long as there is one knowing party. The guy will be fired from Uber but it wasn't illegal.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote