Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #81
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need a new goalie next year no matter what and none of the prospects are ready. So spend some capital and get a solid starter for the next 5 years. If one of the kids pans out it’s s good problem to have.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #82
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Raanta looks like a million bucks in the game against the Jets.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #83
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Rask, Bobrovsky , Quick, and Holtby should be available for something trivial, as they all have considerably worse Save Percentages and GAA than Smith.

Maybe a little patience and better defensive play is a big part of the solution.

I get what your saying but Smith is 36 and hasn’t had a GAA less than 2.50 in 6 years.

Bobrovsky: 30 years old, GAA < 2.50 the last 2 year, 1 year removed from a Vezina.

Quick: 32 years old, GAA < 2.50 for the last 6 years, 1 year removed from Jennings.

Rask: 31 years old, GAA < 2.50 7 of the last 8 years.

Holtby: 29 years old, GAA < 2.50 3 of the last 4 years, fresh off a Stanley Cup.

Sorry but every single one of those guys will be given the benefit of the doubt for their poor starts, given age and most recent history. Smith hasn’t done anything notable since 2012 and is getting ancient. He doesn’t get nearly as much leeway for his poor start.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #84
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I get what your saying but Smith is 36 and hasn’t had a GAA less than 2.50 in 6 years.

Bobrovsky: 30 years old, GAA < 2.50 the last 2 year, 1 year removed from a Vezina.

Quick: 32 years old, GAA < 2.50 for the last 6 years, 1 year removed from Jennings.

Holtby: 29 years old, GAA < 2.50 3 of the last 4 years, fresh off a Stanley Cup.

Sorry but every single one of those guys will be given the benefit of the doubt for their poor starts, given age and most recent history. Smith hasn’t done anything notable since 2012 and is getting ancient. He doesn’t get nearly as much leeway for his poor start.
IMO, He was the Flames MVP for the first 50 games last season, until he was injured.
I believe he will return to that form. It’s early and patience is needed.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #85
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sucks that we ended up with Smith and Arizona ended up with Raanta. It's too bad Raanta didn't land in Calgary when he was bouncing around.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #86
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He's a middling goalie. They have good games and bad, great and terrible. They give up terrible goals some nights.

But I don't think the plan in acquiring Smith was to have a top five guy. It was a team with a great blueline that should play good team defence and have a guy making the saves behind that.

It hasn't happened that way.

The team needs to play better because I don't think they're going to find a better option mid season.
I don't think anyone on here can accuse me of being a crazy optimist over the last decade. Well, maybe I am crazy, but I think with the 18 skaters up front and the style of play this team is a Cup contender this year, especially as the younger d-men get more acclimated. I just don't see it happening with any combination of goalies in our system. So, for me the question is more acute - I think if we fail to improve in net, we waste a "Cup" year.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #87
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
It's too late now but it shud have been Marc Andre Fleury at the 2016 draft when he was offered to us before we even got Mike Smith. Who knows what would have happened the last few full seasons with Fleury. If he took Vegas to the Stanley Cup finals maybe he would have won the Stanley Cup for Calgary!!!

We will never know & that's a real shame
The price at the 2016 draft was Tkachuk.

So... no thanks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #88
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Go get Varlamov, either now and re-sign him or sign him in UFA. Been saying this since before the season started, not just because of his hot start.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #89
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It sucks that we ended up with Smith and Arizona ended up with Raanta. It's too bad Raanta didn't land in Calgary when he was bouncing around.
Yep. It certainly wasn't luck. Coyotes moved on from Smith and went out and got a goalie. Naysayers will say Raanta only played well at the end of last year but it's undeniably more fun to have a goalie with upside vs. wondering when the wheels fall off.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #90
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I don't think anyone on here can accuse me of being a crazy optimist over the last decade. Well, maybe I am crazy, but I think with the 18 skaters up front and the style of play this team is a Cup contender this year, especially as the younger d-men get more acclimated. I just don't see it happening with any combination of goalies in our system. So, for me the question is more acute - I think if we fail to improve in net, we waste a "Cup" year.
exactly how i see it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #91
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In six starts, Mike smith has had 4 games in which he was sub 87%.

In six starts, John Gibson has had 0 games in which he was sub 90%.
Based purely on save percentage, if the Flames had Gibson as a goaltender, they'd be 7-0 so far this year.

In five starts, Varlamov has had 0 games in which he was under 92%. Dubnyk, in 6 games, also has 0 starts under 90%. Vasilevky has been 92%+ in all of his starts.

Goaltending is hugely important. These guys are letting in virtually half as many goals per 100 shots as Smith is.
Colorado's defensive core is not as good as the Flames. We can't blame every single loss on the defense, while constantly coming to the goalie's defense. Colorado, Minnesota and Anaheim have defensive breakdowns as well. All teams do. The Flames aren't exceptionally bad in this regard. Stop saying they are.

At some point, the Flames management will have to realize that they need to spend a ton trading for a good goalie under 30. Since 1997, the Flames have spent 2 first round picks and 4 second round picks drafting goalies. None of these goalies have played more than 13 games in the NHL. Leland Irving is the only one who played more than one game. For whatever reason, the Flames are horrible at developing goalies.

For this reason, the Flames need to acquire someone who is somewhat proven. I think it's time to trade for a proven young goaltender at any cost, really. Saros, Grubaur, Dell or Lehner, as long as they eventually get someone on the right side of 30.

I do think the Flames would have to make this trade someone soon, otherwise the entire season could go to waste. But Rittich looks pretty good so far, so I hope they give him more starts before doing anything crazy.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #92
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
If he took Vegas to the Stanley Cup finals maybe he would have won the Stanley Cup for Calgary!!!
Not with Gulutzan as Head Coach.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #93
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice to get Bob, but the Flames can't afford him.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #94
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post

Those goalies also benefit from playing on much better teams than Smith has.

You really think all those goalies would've put up a GAA under 2.5 in Arizona for 5 years? Not a chance.

For Smith to even begin putting up the numbers those goalies have, first thing he needs is a better team in front of him.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #95
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Colour me confused, but if Rittich has let in 2 goals total, and he had 11 high danger chances against in his one start, even if he had zero in the Blues game he would have an .818 SV percentage in high danger situations.
True that.

Best guess is slightly different tabulations because they come off different sites? One has high danger per game, the other high danger save percentage without the underlying numbers for the %
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #96
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who is the next backup who is ready to become a starter who is blocked for the foreseeable future?

Dell? How is Jack Campbell in LA?
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #97
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was unhappy with the idea of Smith as our starter before the season even began, but I still feel this is pretty premature.

We really should give Smith a bit more of a chance. And Rittich. And the team, and the coaching staff.

Flames fans can be kind of exhausting sometimes.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #98
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think this is a "cup year". This team is still forming and finding that window. New coach, 2 rookie d-men, Bennett not fully cooked yet, Jankowski more consistent, forward depth needs to be deeper (Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Lazar and maybe Rychel need to find an NHL level). I think the window starts next year.

I believe the young goalies are on the rise (poor starts or not this year). I am happy with their progress. I am still one vote that says Parsons-Gillies will be our tandem when we lift the cup.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #99
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I was unhappy with the idea of Smith as our starter before the season even began, but I still feel this is pretty premature.

We really should give Smith a bit more of a chance. And Rittich. And the team, and the coaching staff.

Flames fans can be kind of exhausting sometimes.
No kidding. It's only been 7 games FFS, and the Flames are currently off to one of their best starts that I can remember. And this is with a lot of new players, new coaching staff, new systems, and Smith not being at his best. I think people need to chill out and give them at least a few more games before we make any serious judgments about Smith or the team.

From my perspective, the team has looked pretty damn solid for the most part and they've held their own against one of the top elite teams in the league over two games vs the Preds, and looked dominant against a very good Bruins team. They also played a fantastic game against Colorado last weekend. Sure, there have been some defensive lapses, the PP has been uneven, and the goaltending has been somewhat shoddy. But I still have faith that these kinks will work themselves out sooner than later.

Smith will likely get the start again on Sunday against the Rangers. If he craps the bed, then maybe Peters gives Rittich a chance to take the ball and run with it for a few games. I thought he played very well in his previous start.

Last edited by direwolf; 10-20-2018 at 06:05 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #100
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that we should have a better goaltender. But, who are we going to go after? What team is going to give us a legitimate starting goaltender?

Unfortunately, the best option is waiting until the off season to see the available options. My guess is Colorado would fail to re-sign Varlamov, so we should go after him. That's just my personal preference. But this does need to be addressed soon.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post: