Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #61
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like we're back to Hartley era hockey. Which a lot of us wanted. Thing is this time around it's early still and I believe Peters and his staff can tighten up the defense without sacrificing goal scoring. It's early yet and if these are the kinks that need to be ironed out as we get into full swing, I'm fine with it. We have what I believe to be the right guys on the roster to do it .

As for goaltending and the hunt for the next one. It's something they have to come to a head to before the deadline IMO. I don't feel confident in the two options after Smith and Parsons is still a ways away.

So hopefully they can wrangle up something for the stretch drive. I feel like CHI or Columbus will be where we get the goalie. Or Oskar Dansk!

You can Dansk if you want to, you can leave your Smith's behind, if you dont Dansk or if you can't Dansk then you're, no friend of mine. - Men without Dansks.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-20-2018 at 01:03 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #62
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
2013-14 Hiller with the Ducks had an expected SV% of 90.93 and posted a 91.1
2014-15 Hiller with the Flames had an expected SV% of 91.61 and posted a 91.74

I would say the 2014-15 Flames were a better "defensive" team than the Ducks, who btw still had Nick Bonino instead of Ryan Kesler as their shutdown center and a very green blue line.
If the flames were better defensively one has to think that was because of the coach. Or maybe because of kris Russell and Wideman. I think it was because of the coach.

What was the Hiller stat the next year?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #63
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
2013-14 Hiller with the Ducks had an expected SV% of 90.93 and posted a 91.1
2014-15 Hiller with the Flames had an expected SV% of 91.61 and posted a 91.74

I would say the 2014-15 Flames were a better "defensive" team than the Ducks, who btw still had Nick Bonino instead of Ryan Kesler as their shutdown center and a very green blue line.
I don't really want to get into a debate about which team was better defensively. We can say the Flames.

My main point was that Hiller was not coming from a team with questionable defensive play. The Ducks were top ten in goals and shots allowed two years running before moving Hiller.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yeah, if it means getting a bonafide starter signed through the years the core group and additions are signed for.

Brodie + Bennett + 1st
I get the logic. Goalie is the most important position on the ice and of course it all depends on who you would end up getting.

But it's a big wildcard as to what Bennett and Brodie are worth on the open market. And there is not a lot at Stockton that we can count on as replacements IMO.

I'm not quite ready to go all in on this lineup just yet.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #65
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If the flames were better defensively one has to think that was because of the coach. Or maybe because of kris Russell and Wideman. I think it was because of the coach.

What was the Hiller stat the next year?

2013-14 Hiller with the Ducks had an expected SV% of 90.93 and posted a 91.1 (+.17%)

2014-15 Hiller with the Flames had an expected SV% of 91.61 and posted a 91.74 (+.13%)

2015-16 Hiller with the Flames had an expected SV% of 90.6 and posted a 87.9 (-2.7%)

More spent time with Sigalet = less ability to make saves.

I'll never forget Chad Johnson's great play in 2016-17 disappearing off the map right after the Flames got some time between games, which he used to "work on his game with Sigalet". Was never the same after that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #66
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get the logic. Goalie is the most important position on the ice and of course it all depends on who you would end up getting.

But it's a big wildcard as to what Bennett and Brodie are worth on the open market. And there is not a lot at Stockton that we can count on as replacements IMO.

I'm not quite ready to go all in on this lineup just yet.
No idea what the goalie market is, but I would be ok moving any, all, or some combination of the assets listed for the right goalie.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #67
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

We wouldn’t even be having this conversation if we could play defence in front of our goalie. When was the last time we had a team they could do that? Last time I remember us playing good defence in front of a good goalie was in 2003/2004.

Yes coincidentally we had a very good goalie in Kipper. But since then we have had nothing that we could count on so it’s not always on the goalie. I think we need to start a rotation with what we have and play the hot hand. If Smith can’t do it then Rittich does it, Then on to Gillies in Parsons And then Schneider if we have too.

We’ve talked about developing our goalies in our system but now it’s time to do something. We’ve given Our young forwards and defenceman the opportunity to prove where they’re at it’s time to do the same with our goalies. But with that being said the team still has the play defence in front of a goalie which means her forwards have to take the responsibility seriously otherwise will never get anywhere.

We also have to score goals. We made it really easy for Nashville last night because no one screen bumped or interfered with their goalie. He saw everything we made it easy for him and we need to make it a complete ####ing nightmare.

Goalie market out there right now does not look good and forcing Treliving sand right now doesn’t seem to be a good idea As he had the whole off-season to do something about that and didn’t. Was he standing part because he thought Gillies or Rittich Was ready? Who knows. It just feels like we keep beating the same dead ####ing horse over and over again
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #68
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Lundqvist. Rongos will be rebuilding and I could see him wanting out to chase a cup maybe. Plus he’s either cheaper or better than everyone else available. Cap would be an issue of course but cheap, good #1s are never traded.
But he is also old
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #69
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Interestingly enough that game in Denver was their best showing yet this season in what they gave up. 11 in the game in all situations, that's followed by the two Vancouver games at 11 and 12.

Smith actually has a higher high danger save percentage to date than Rittich (79.31 to 77.78)
Neither has performed particularly well in high danger chances (out of all goalies to play so far, Smith is tied for 36th in the league, while Rittich is tied for 42nd).

However, Smith has a much lower mid danger save percentage to date than Rittich (85.42 vs 100.00) That is significant and appears to be killing Smith.

Last edited by Brick; 10-20-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #70
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would any of this be due to leaking in shots from the reduced size equipment ? Maybe he is adjusting. I havent been able to watch many games this year so far.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #71
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Would any of this be due to leaking in shots from the reduced size equipment ? Maybe he is adjusting. I havent been able to watch many games this year so far.
I haven’t really noticed any specifically, but I would attribute at least 90% of them to being too deep in his net.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #72
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I’d be comfortable parting with another first round pick is if it’s lottery protected or unprotected if your getting an all star caliber goaltender. i.e. Bobrovsky (with an extension). For a lottery protected first I’d love a blue chip prospect goalie that has shown success but only in a limited amount of games. i.e. Korpisalo, Ullmark, Saros (still think he’s a pipe dream though). For other assets such as 2nd round or later picks, B/C level prospects I think your looking at established but not true #1’s. Guys like Lehner, Grubauer. The wild card is a guy like Schneider. An established #1, only 32 years old but coming off surgery and a big contract. I think the cost for him would be mitagated somewhat due to his cap hit and years left. In any case Smith needs to improve substantially and quickly or Treliving needs to get a legitimate goalie before too many games are wasted.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #73
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given that New Jersey and Columbus are sitting 2nd and 3rd in their division it doesn't look like they are in a spot to trade a starting goaltender.

I don't doubt that this is already on Treliving's mind, he knows Smith is aging and that this team is really hitting it's stride.

Give it a month or two and if Smith is still not preforming like a top notch goaltender I'm convinced we will start hearing rumour's about which goalies might be available.

It's too early for teams to be trading goalies anyways.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #74
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rask, Bobrovsky , Quick, and Holtby should be available for something trivial, as they all have considerably worse Save Percentages and GAA than Smith.

Maybe a little patience and better defensive play is a big part of the solution.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to add Schneider.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #76
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Carey Price.
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #77
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I haven’t really noticed any specifically, but I would attribute at least 90% of them to being too deep in his net.
I would agree with this. Is this coaching though or a guy with a groin pull in the back of his head. Best case is he eventually gains confidence in his lateral movement and gets stronger as the season moves along. Worst case is this is an old man who didn't quite mend and will battle through until his career closes out.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #78
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's too late now but it shud have been Marc Andre Fleury at the 2016 draft when he was offered to us before we even got Mike Smith. Who knows what would have happened the last few full seasons with Fleury. If he took Vegas to the Stanley Cup finals maybe he would have won the Stanley Cup for Calgary!!!

We will never know & that's a real shame
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #79
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Off the players you listed in the OP the only guy I would want in Calgary is Sergei Bobrovsky. That would be the dream having Sergei Bobrovsky in net for te Flames we would definitely be Stanley Cup contenders
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #80
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Rask, Bobrovsky , Quick, and Holtby should be available for something trivial, as they all have considerably worse Save Percentages and GAA than Smith.

Maybe a little patience and better defensive play is a big part of the solution.
It's not that his save percentage is bad or that he is playing terribly, it's that the flames might need a better goalie than Smith this year to take advantage of the roster and they will almost certainly need a new starter next year anyway.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote