Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon56 AHL Manitoba Moose sell nearly 3,000 season tickets in less than week

It's hard to believe, but the AHL Moose have sold 3,000 tickets in less than one week. There is a legitimate chance that the Jets AHL team can open up the upper deck, if tickets continue to sell at this pace.

The AHL Moose relocated from St,John's, Newfoundland, and will play out of th same arena as the NHL Winnipeg Jets.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the move to Winnipeg was just a stop gap until the new arena in Thunder Bay is built but it looks like that building is dead in the water.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2015/03...tax-for-arena/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I thought the move to Winnipeg was just a stop gap until the new arena in Thunder Bay is built but it looks like that building is dead in the water.

Yup. True North is planning on keeping the Moose in Winnipeg, for as long as they are profitable. Hard to believe a city of 700,000 people can support two professional hockey teams.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not hard at all. That city is starved for professional hockey still, and season tickets to a team that is on the upswing in a building that is somewhat undersized for their demand of NHL hockey suggests to me that it's a good move.

Actually, it's a model I hope Calgary can one day emulate. I would be among the first to sign up for season tickets for the baby Flames if they were based in Calgary. And one only has to look to the attendance they got when they played a regular season game in Calgary two seasons ago against Oklahoma. I think it can be done.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooray for Winnipeg! The fans there are the greatest people in recorded history. Their every move is a touching story that brings tears to my eyes.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

So unfortunate. I'm from that area and Tbay sure could have used a little shot in the arm. That city is a shadow of its former self.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
So unfortunate. I'm from that area and Tbay sure could have used a little shot in the arm. That city is a shadow of its former self.
T-Bay has not grown in 25 years. It's too bad. I was in the Port Arthur section of the city and I really enjoyed my time there.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #8
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yaaaay?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching numerous AHL games this year, the quality of hockey played by "men" is immediately and noticeably better than junior hockey played by "teenagers". It's basically human physiology, but I think it is a matter of time before Saskatoon and/or Regina gets an AHL team.

Junior hockey has a long history in big cities, so it will be tough to leave, and probably not without a fight. Although substantial portions of salaries are covered by NHL teams, the challenge is competing with with junior hockey where salaries are next to nothing.

I just find it absurd that professional basketball has been attempted numerous times in Saskatchewan, but never professional hockey.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not hard at all. That city is starved for professional hockey still, and season tickets to a team that is on the upswing in a building that is somewhat undersized for their demand of NHL hockey suggests to me that it's a good move.

Actually, it's a model I hope Calgary can one day emulate. I would be among the first to sign up for season tickets for the baby Flames if they were based in Calgary. And one only has to look to the attendance they got when they played a regular season game in Calgary two seasons ago against Oklahoma. I think it can be done.
Calgary has emulated that model for 20 years. And there is no way I would ever trade the Hitmen for an AHL team.

Speaking of the Hitmen, the impressive spillover effect Winnipeg is seeing with the Moose happened here in 2004. The excitement and buzz generated by the Flames that year resulted in a sharp increase in Hitmen attendance late in 2003-04 as well. The lockout then cemented that support for the junior team.

Winnipeg, likewise, is just excited about everything to do with hockey right now. Definitely a good start for the AHL team.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
After watching numerous AHL games this year, the quality of hockey played by "men" is immediately and noticeably better than junior hockey played by "teenagers". It's basically human physiology, but I think it is a matter of time before Saskatoon and/or Regina gets an AHL team.

Junior hockey has a long history in big cities, so it will be tough to leave, and probably not without a fight. Although substantial portions of salaries are covered by NHL teams, the challenge is competing with with junior hockey where salaries are next to nothing.

I just find it absurd that professional basketball has been attempted numerous times in Saskatchewan, but never professional hockey.
Appearantly the Jets, and the Edmonton Oilers were both looking to place their respective AHL teams in Saskatoon. Unfortunately, the lease agreement with the arena proclaims that the Saskatoon Blades are the sole tenant, and that can only be broken, if an NHL team were to be moved to the area.

There was a "handshake" agreement between the AHL and the WHL years ago, that prevented each league from invading the other leagues territory. However, the AHL broke that agreement by placing a team in the BC Lower mainland (Abbotsford Heat), when the WHL had granted an expansion team to Chiliwack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jets4Life For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather go watch an AHL team in the 'Dome than the Hitmen, and I like the WHL product.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Appearantly the Jets, and the Edmonton Oilers were both looking to place their respective AHL teams in Saskatoon. Unfortunately, the lease agreement with the arena proclaims that the Saskatoon Blades are the sole tenant, and that can only be broken, if an NHL team were to be moved to the area.

There was a "handshake" agreement between the AHL and the WHL years ago, that prevented each league from invading the other leagues territory. However, the AHL broke that agreement by placing a team in the BC Lower mainland (Abbotsford Heat), when the WHL had granted an expansion team to Chiliwack.
I just moved to Toronto and the Marlies and the 3 CIS teams here are by far the best deal on hockey. It's interesting out west, senior hockey does really great in communities where there is no junior team, but struggles otherwise despite being a far superior level of hockey being played by men.

As the current entertainment landscape evolves I think junior hockey in its current state faces a reassessment in a lot of areas. A lot of what you mentioned fits in line with the establishment of teams in their communities being a known commodity to the market in Canada. The AHL is an unknown commodity with fewer regional rivals. However, junior hockey is barely comparable to junior football if the AHL is comparable to the CFL. AHL is great entertainment that is faster, stronger, and quicker than junior hockey featuring players that are more physically mature with higher levels of athleticism.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd register for season tickets immediately if the Flames had the AHL team here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would be fun to see potential Flames play right here in Calgary but the AHL isn't half as good as Canadian Junior hockey.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
It would be fun to see potential Flames play right here in Calgary but the AHL isn't half as good as Canadian Junior hockey.
The skill level is better. I like Junior hockey, but from what I understand, the AHL would not be allowed in the Saddledome due to a WHL team already occupying the building. Put the AHL Flames in Grande Prairie
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
The skill level is better. I like Junior hockey, but from what I understand, the AHL would not be allowed in the Saddledome due to a WHL team already occupying the building.
Skill level might be higher, the actual games are much better in junior however.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #18
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

As a pure fan, I would take a WHL team over an AHL team just solely on the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with the constant call ups of the team's best players.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #19
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
As a pure fan, I would take a WHL team over an AHL team just solely on the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with the constant call ups of the team's best players.
That is precisely why I was never really into the original Manitoba Moose, when their parent club was the NHL Vancouver Canucks. However, now that the AHL Moose and NHL Jets are playing in the same arena, I will definitely go to some games, to see the prospects develop.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
WilliPlett
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Can't see Calgary ever getting an AHL team. Their big problem in Abbotsford were travel restrictions and time zones. Without any other team close in the west, the travel again would be an issue with the team and more travel time means a lot less practice time.
WilliPlett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahl , jets , moose , tickets