- Edmonton
- Wichita

Cities with terrible traffic:
- London
- Paris
- Boston
- New York

One list is not like the other.
I am sorry, but please tell me which highways and streets you drive on in Houston that are 'great!' Do you mean, driving TO Houston is 'great?' The reason I ask, is other than the Sam Houston Toll Way/Beltway between Summerwood and the Ship Channel, I've never had even a 'good' drive in Houston. The major highways and loops are like driving through a clogged artery, and when it rains, half the highway exits are closed because they are under water. Houston driving is horrific, and last year Houston was found to be the most deadly place in the US to drive. It's most of the reason Houston sucks. I am perplexed by your assertion that it's great to drive here, if that's what you meant, (but I was equally delighted by your description of New Orleans )

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-12865072.php

Quote:
The death toll is the equivalent of three fully-loaded 737s crashing each year at Houston's airports, killing all aboard. Losing that many planes and passengers would lead to federal hearings, but the Houston roadway deaths are met largely with silence, other than the occasional warning from public safety officials to drive safely and be careful crossing the street.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #103
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I am sorry, but please tell me which highways and streets you drive on in Houston that are 'great!' Do you mean, driving TO Houston is 'great?' The reason I ask, is other than the Sam Houston Toll Way/Beltway between Summerwood and the Ship Channel, I've never had even a 'good' drive in Houston.
Allen Parkway is a nice drive. Memorial (inside the loop) can be pleasant, if you get all green lights. Other than that combined 5 or so mile loop, though, yeah, Houston sucks.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #104
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I have lived in 6 cities in my life. Calgary, Montreal, Denver, Colorado Springs, LA and Houston. I can’t rank them but have found things to love about all of them.
Curious what your thoughts are about Colorado Springs.

My wife would like to move there, but we both think that the houses look a bit strange (just not our style, really).

For comparison, we have lived in Houston and Calgary as well. Hated Houston for the most part: too hot, too humid, too much traffic, too much crime, too many people, too many bugs, etc. We loved Calgary, but we were living the expat lifestyle so we could generally walk everywhere and didn’t have to deal with removing snow.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #105
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Allen Parkway is a nice drive. Memorial (inside the loop) can be pleasant, if you get all green lights. Other than that combined 5 or so mile loop, though, yeah, Houston sucks.

For me, it's getting there in the first place. We have a home in Atascocita, and I hate the whole 59-610 drive. I used to work Uptown but the drive was insane, especially in rain or high traffic times. But you're right- Memorial is a pleasant area of Houston proper, once you get there.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #106
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a survey a while back that asked commercial truck drivers what the worst cities in North America to drive in are and Atlanta was ranked the worst. Toronto was second.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #107
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Edit- ok, I guess the thread is ok to post here.

I was going to say my favourite city is Rapid City and Deadwood in South Dakota in the summer. The Black Hills, the Badlands, Crazy Horse.. just beautiful.

I am going to San Francisco for the first time in June and looking forward to it.

Second favourite on my list is Seattle. Then, I have to admit I do love Boulder, even though the Colorado Avalanche suck used blow pops.

Hate:

Houston (live here, ugh)
Phoenix
Albuquerque
Everywhere in Texas except Austin and one restaurant in Amarillo
The Black Hills in SD are incredible. Loved it.

I enjoy traveling to Kansas City and the surrounding area's. Being a Chiefs fan helps, but to be honest, I almost travel there for the BBQ as much as the Chiefs.

I'm more of a country person. Seeing what the farmers are doing in the fields and visiting tractor museums are more fun to me than hanging out in a city.

We visit Oahu every winter and we spend zero time in Honolulu, other than maybe going to a NCAA basketball game in the evening.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #108
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved NYC Chicago and Washington DC fun places all were great experiences so much to do.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #109
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

San Diego is the only US city I would live in. I’d have to be 100% financially certain my health care would be taken care of though.
Great city. Great weather. If you have the money, the quality of life there is off the charts.
It’s a dream destination for me.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #110
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Key West, only because it doesn't feel like you're in the US. probably because a lot of the winter population is from Canada, Spain or France.

Portland, Maine also has a different feel to it, very friendly like they're part of the neighboring Canadian Maritimes
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #111
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston is a prejudiced racist hellhole.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #112
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's because cars are awful and infrastructure created to support them makes a city basically unlivable.
exaggerate much? lol
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote