Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ottawa Players busted on Uber camera badmouthing special team coach

https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...2-9ae2e2ea5d66

Quote:
A number of Ottawa Senators openly joke about their penalty-killing abilities, mock one of their coaches and laugh at the ineffectiveness of special-team meetings in a candid video that was posted online.

The video is the latest bit of embarrassing news for a team that is trying to rebuild a more positive, professional culture in its dressing room, after the high-profile departures of Erik Karlsson and Mike Hoffman.

The video — since taken down — appears to have been shot in Phoenix on Oct. 29 or 30 during the team’s western road swing. It was recorded, presumably by the Uber driver, as seven Senators were transported in a van or SUV. It appears that none of the players were aware the conversation was being recorded.
Quote:
“Marty Raymond, the only coach in NHL history to have the worst power-play and the worst PK within a calendar year,” says Sens forward Matt Duchene, in reference to Martin Raymond, an assistant coach in charge of the team’s penalty-killing this year and power-play last season.

The remark is met with laughter and only invites more jest from the players.

Defenceman Chris Wideman, sitting in the front passenger seat, chirps in: “Do you notice that when (Raymond) runs the video, if you actually do pay attention, he doesn’t ever teach you anything? He just commentates what’s happening.”

Then Duchene can be heard replying: “Here’s the other thing, too. We don’t change anything, ever. So why do we even have a meeting? I haven’t paid attention in three weeks.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst-PK in the league...but players like Duchene won't change anything. Lol. I guess have fun missing the playoffs again Matt.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next practice for them could be ugly...yeesh...
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Worst-PK in the league...but players like Duchene won't change anything. Lol. I guess have fun missing the playoffs again Matt.
He means the coaches won’t change anything.

I mean it’s shocking to see... but I bet it happens a lot.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Next practice for them could be ugly...yeesh...
Maybe, but they won't even be paying attention anyways.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

No wonder Colorado is flourishing without Duchene.

Guy seems like a complete ######bag.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
He means the coaches won’t change anything.
How would he know, he hasn't paid attention since the start of the season.

But, yeah I'm sure it happens the same way everyone has probably had talks about their bosses and management in every industry ever. Still will suck for them.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quick Tre! His trade value just plummeted
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

What a scummy Uber driver. Like it or not, people badmouth their bosses all the time. Players will say things like this off-the-record and that's why it should stay off-the-record.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 11-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 115 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
#22, -TC-, 1991 Canadian, 3thirty, afc wimbledon, anyonebutedmonton, Art Vandelay, automaton 3, badger89, bax, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, BigDogg, bigtmac19, Boblobla, btimbit, Buff, burnin_vernon, Cecil Terwilliger, Chonger, Coach, codynw, Cole436, deejay829, DeluxeMoustache, dissentowner, edn88, Engine09, Enoch Root, Eric, Eric Vail, Fire, FlamesAreOne, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, FlatLandFlamesFan, ForeverFlameFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Freddy, Funkhouser, Geeoff, GGG, gonzo29, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenLantern2814, greyshep, GullFoss, habernac, Hackey, Hanna Sniper, Har-Calgary, heep223, Hitman88, Hockey-and_stuff, Hockey_Ninja, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, Igottago, IliketoPuck, iLoveLamp, Itse, Jacks, Jetfire, JohnnyB, kevman, King Theo, klikitiklik, lambeburger, Lanny'sDaMan, Lil Pedro, M*A*S*H 4077, Mattman, metroneck, MolsonInBothHands, mrkajz44, MrMike, Nandric, Nyah, OBCT, PaperBagger'14, Patek23, Phaneufenstein, Phaneuf_Phan, Playfair, Poe969, rayne008, Reaper, RedHotC, Reign of Fire, Rhettzky, rotten42, Rubicant, saskflames69, Sask_Flames_Fan, Scroopy Noopers, sec304, skudr248, Slava, slybomb, speede5, Spinach, Split98, stang, Superfraggle, SuperMatt18, ThaBrink, The Hendog, TheIronMaiden, thymebalm, topfiverecords, Ullr, Winsor_Pilates, Wormius, Yoho, Yrebmi
Old 11-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty dissapointed people go out of their way to get dirt on athletes. Guys should be able to be themselves and not have to worry some twerp for Uber is going to tape them, sell it and ruin some guys career
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm sure all athletes have talks like this with other buddies on their team. Releasing this video is a bit of a d*** move.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think everybody needs to vent once in a while and clear the air, it just doesn't normally make its way onto the internet via an Uber ride. It's a sad state of affairs in today's mentality when you can't even talk amongst friends and co-workers without the threat of a video camera leaking your conversation.

I don't know the coach that is being questioned in this video but I do know that the way hockey is played in 2018, is over coached. All these players do is have practices, meetings about everything and a lot of times these coaches are trying to get players to do things that don't make sense, don't work or go against what a players best abilities is.

I saw first hand what Gully did to this team last 2 years. I didn't like this guy's coaching and decisions on a lot of things from day #1. A lot of people questioned me and other Gully detractors and than it become more and more evident. I can't recall an NHL coach in Calgary and a lot of other markets that was being questioned as much as he was in the media, online, players and fans in quite some time.

Long story short, some players and some coaches just don't know what they are doing meanwhile some players might not be suited to a specific role and aren't as good as they think they are.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, would depend entirely on the tip they left the Uber driver before I'm willing to call him scummy.

End of day, they are public figures. People care what they say much more than if I were to crap on my boss. If you don't want what you said to be public, don't say it in front of random strangers. Especially in a one party consent State like Arizona where this was perfectly legal. Especially if you see a camera in front of you.

Same situation with Nenshi, except that was a two party state.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol I just think it's funny. I'd hate for what I say about work in groups of friends to be made public
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #15
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet players do this all the time
Usually not recorded
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

20-28 year old guys after a few drinks talking about work and thier bosses. Going to be made into more of it then that, but that's all it is.

I'm sure the coaches and Dorion were saying the same thing about the same players at the same time in the hotel lounge.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, if there's anything positive to take away here, it's that the players weren't driving after a likely night out.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Meh, would depend entirely on the tip they left the Uber driver before I'm willing to call him scummy.

End of day, they are public figures. People care what they say much more than if I were to crap on my boss. If you don't want what you said to be public, don't say it in front of random strangers. Especially in a one party consent State like Arizona where this was perfectly legal. Especially if you see a camera in front of you.

Same situation with Nenshi, except that was a two party state.
Public figures or not, people have the right so some level of privacy. You shouldn't have to watch for cameras everywhere you go.
The world is heading in that direction for all of us, and it sucks.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Dirtbag #1: uber driver. Or whomever at uber made this available.
Dirtbag #2: Ottawa Citizen “Staff Reporter”. Wrote a mud slinging article but didn’t put a name on it. Hopefully the team knows who it is and denies further access.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #20
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
What a scummy Uber driver. People badmouth their bosses all the time.
I don't talk bad about my boss. I have an excellent working relationship with them and hope that my team feels the same way about me (though I am okay if they don't).

There are enough resources out there where people can be effective bosses and not be the target of being made fun of on a regular basis.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post: