Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #1281
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watched the NHL highlights of last nights oilers game, which starts by talking about the "talent laden oilers team"!!! Say what???????

Headed over to oilers ****** and they are on the cliff edge already, plenty of #loseforhughes floating around.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #1282
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

What isn't getting enough attention is how bad Chia has been. He was handed McDavid and somehow he's doing a worse job than MacT. The team is at cap and with no real assets left after trading Hall and Eberle for a whole lot of nothing.

Just a parody of good asset management.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #1283
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow this fanbase is so pathetic. Arrive to work this morning and its Hughes is gonna look real good next to McDavid. Like really?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #1284
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

These are delicious times to be a Flames fan.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to metal_geek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #1285
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know that they are headed down the abyss for real when they view Gulutzan as a potential savior.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #1286
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They lost 4-1 to Boston and Sportsnet Picks McJesus as the second star of the game? Is that part of his contract?

Gretzky must be giving him whining lessons as he whines to the officials as much as whiner Wayne used to when he played for the Coilers.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #1287
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
You know that they are headed down the abyss for real when they view Gulutzan as a potential savior.
And some fans actually want KLowe back as the GM. I still think Lowe is pulling the strings and Chia is just the puppet. Sad times up there.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #1288
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Did they seriously try a cross-ice pass in their own zone with an empty net to try and spring McDavid?

You'd have to be high to think that would work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #1289
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of all this is that if Mclellan is fired, it's obviously going to be GG who takes over for at least a couple seasons.

You can't script this stuff any better. I feel bad when the Flames lose, but then feel better when the Oilers lose the same night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #1290
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Did they seriously try a cross-ice pass in their own zone with an empty net to try and spring McDavid?

Best part of that is McDavid giving it the EA sports special calling for the puck.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to metal_geek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #1291
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
Best part of that is McDavid giving it the EA sports special calling for the puck.
For a guy who moves so fast his situational awareness is shockingly low.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #1292
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like how all the Coiler fans are blaming Chiarelli and McLellan for the dumpster fire up in Edmonton, I’m not so sure it’s them. Katz has surrounded himself with all the dead weight glory days that I’m sure are sticking their noses in every chance they get and contradicting every decision that Chiarelli makes.

When they fire Chiarelli, who in their right mind would want to take that disaster on? I don’t think there is an easy way to fix that mess with that owner and his “glee club” looking on!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #1293
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

The biggest problem is that in the past Oiler players have ignored their coach and gone into business for themselves, they did that with Eakins, they did that with Renney and Krueger. You also have a coach right now that since the mid point of last year has pointed out that he can't get a full effort out of his team.

No coach teaches his players to do long cross ice pressures in their own end no matter what, but there they were trying to feed the savior because he tapped his stick.

We all know that its likely that right now the coach of that team is McDavid, last year we saw it with the get him the puck so he can win trophies, and it looks like they've continued that strategy.

Its likely that T-Mac is going to be fired by the end of that 10 games to open the season when they get beaten into the turf with the only thing to show is slow motion video clips of the Connor tapping players on the shoulder.

Even though its customary for coaches to either not talk to the press or say nice things about a franchise and his players after termination, you get a feeling that T-Mac would be biting his tongue.

Its more then just a bad core with a lack of wingers, good defensemen, a rotten bottom 6, and a goalie that looks like he's shell shocked.

I would theorize that this core and the leadership elements are rotten.

So now the Oilers have a problem, no matter the coach, they have to work with a franchise player. That's not easy, they might even have to work with a frustrated franchise player. What are you going to say to him "Hey Connor how about a backcheck?", "Yo Connor its not all about you man", "Man you potato head quit telling me how to coach".

The Oilers have another problem, they have precious few good assets, and for the most part their good assets with the exception of Nurse are over paid. RNH overpaid, Draisaitl over paid. On top of that their other terrible players are overpaid, and then on top of that, they don't have much help coming from the farm. Poolparty, Bouchard, Yamamoto and maybe Bear represent the height of their prospect pool, and Bouchard looks like the best of them which is no shame but he's not NHL ready.

So on those truthful honest nights, when Chia is sitting at home evaluating this team, he has to know what a messs this team is. He has to know that the coach is the first to go to protect his butt. But at the end of the game, if the Oilers start terrible which it looks like they are and you fire that coach, and realize that you have to take a few years to rebuid. How do you go to your savior and say that the meat of his career is going to be with a rebuilding terrible team.

If Connor shrugs his shoulders and says whatever its a character issue. If Connor says "Just get me the puck and I'll make us look competitive" do you commit him to a mental institution? If he says "Trade me right now" do you accommodate him before the demand goes public and ruins his value.

To me with the Oilers, if you're going to rebuild then rebuild, go nuclear option 1, trade Connor after game 10, find the best package of high end picks, prospects and young entry level contract players to really kick off your reboot, while at the same time addressing the chemistry issues of that team. Find a deal for Draisaitl, he's not a line driving center, he's a 8.5 million dollar complimentary winger. For god sakes trade RNH, he's part of the leadership group, shake up the core.

Now if I'm Katz, today I'm sitting at my desk staring at the young "Actress" on my cheap leather couch and looking at the leadership group of Lowe, MacT, Chia, Mess, Gretzky and Nicholson and even though I'm (As Katz) a huge fan of these guys, they're all bungling incompetent idiots and its time to put them out to pasture and no, I'm not going to promote from within.

We talk about the rot being deep, but with the Oilers the rot is deep rooted and overwhelming.

Its time to "Let go" (See what I did there) that core, that management team and that coach and just admit the failure that is the Oilers, blow it up, and start over.

Because not even another number 1 pick can save the Oilers
Nothing can.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #1294
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Trying to let Chiarelli off the hook for his bad trades only works if his behaviour on this front is different than in his past jobs. Since it is not, I find no reason not to believe that Chiarelli really is the mastermind behind his litany of bad moves.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #1295
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do think a few of the Oilers are underperforming. With the right coach, they could at least get a few lines going. Not that their D or Goalies have much potential to improve.

I hope they keep McLellan as long as possible. Drive them into the ground. I don't wish harm on the young players that still have potential...but perhaps McLellan can stunt their development just enough so that they only find success after being traded for a Larson or a Strome.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #1296
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I do think a few of the Oilers are underperforming. With the right coach, they could at least get a few lines going. Not that their D or Goalies have much potential to improve.
Really? Who on that roster is underperforming? This looks like about what I expected to see this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #1297
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I really do wonder what the return for Mcdavid would be. Everyone has a value. Buy out
3/4 of the team, and trade Drasaitl/McDavid for everyone else to fill out an entire roster?

Because that's about the only way they solve the problem.

I'm happy to watch what is essentially Barry Sanders in Detroit though. Best player in the world, absolute worst supporting cast possible surrounding him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #1298
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

McLellan will land on his feet elsewhere and find success. He's not a bad coach, he's been given a poorly assembled team.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #1299
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Trying to let Chiarelli off the hook for his bad trades only works if his behaviour on this front is different than in his past jobs. Since it is not, I find no reason not to believe that Chiarelli really is the mastermind behind his litany of bad moves.
I’m not saying that Chiarelli is a brilliant GM but no GM is going to do any better up there when everything you do is second guessed and vetoed by the old boys club.

Paying 20% of your salary cap to 2 players (one unproven) and a number of slugs chewing up a large percentage of the rest with NMC’s makes this franchise a joke, I don’t know who made these decisions, was it Chiapet, or the boys in the background?

There seems to be a longer history here?

Last edited by Realistic; 10-12-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #1300
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
For a guy who moves so fast his situational awareness is shockingly low.
Not one person on the other board even mentioned McDavid calling for the pass - it was all about how crappy Benning is. Can you imagine if McDavid is calling for the puck like that and Benning doesn't pass to him? He's be run out of town.

I don't think much of McDavid's hockey IQ. He seems to be a guy that gets by on innate talent alone. He doesn't use his wingers especially well (they'd have at least half his points you'd figure). The Bruins figured out pretty quickly how to defend him (partly - don't let him go one on one with Chara).
Closed Thread