Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #81
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Too gimmicky.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #82
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Yeah, they've got to be really sure. Right now you can't have more than 5 people in one place. How you you have a dressing room, how do you have a bench. How do you take buses back to hotels? I mean are we sleeping in the executive suites?

Even with the biosphere concept, it's tough.

If one person gets sick and dies, it's over. Where do you go from there?
Those are the recommendations (5 people max) today, that’s whey they’re targeting June/ July vs say May 15 hoping that there’s a North American easing of these restrictions rather then a handful of state governors forcing the issue. There are tests available that give results within minutes, this is what the Korean Baseball League is using (apparently) as they begin their league start up projected for early May.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 04-22-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #83
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Too gimmicky.
As if that's avoidable at a time like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #84
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Too gimmicky.
Okay, don't watch then. I'm willing to bet everybody will watch this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to standinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #85
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

NHL action in Edmonton beyond April? Strange times indeed. But, seriously, why Edmonton? Genuinely curious.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #86
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps this is just me, what really would be the point to this for your average fan? How many of us are really clamoring to watch hockey in your house, during July/August with the Flames playing "home games" in Edmonton with no crowd? We won't be able to enjoy this in a bar with friends, drinks and a cool atmosphere!! I get why the league and a lot of players want this, but we are talking about cheapening the product and grasping at straws.

This whole thing also has the potential to go completely and utterly sideways really really quickly. Players who may even exhibit specific symptoms may need to be quarantined for 2 weeks. They may need to be tested several times a week for Covid in order to not have players slip through the crack if they are showing symptoms. Imagine the uproar if medical testing supplies that could be going to the poor in places like the US are instead being used on NHL and NBA athletes that can make upwards of $30 million a year.

What would happen if a few players on a team show symptoms, how can you realistically not quarantine their opponents for two weeks? What happens if star players are infected by another teams 4th liner?

We literally have the brightest minds in medicine, government agencies, governments at all levels and a whole host of people getting this entire pandemic wrong on a whole host of levels. I don't know why the sports leagues would take this level of risk with their players, fans, and businesses when the chance for a complete and utter nightmare scenario developing.

I am about as hardcore a hockey fan as any, a die hard Flames fan since I was born. I really don't see the huge desire for regular and potential playoff hockey for the Flames in my basement, alone, in the summer. Even if some bars and larger gatherings are allowed, will it really be any good if you have to "social distance"?

I like the A for effort but I have a feeling this may just be a pipe dream or a public relations disaster.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #87
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
NHL action in Edmonton beyond April? Strange times indeed. But, seriously, why Edmonton? Genuinely curious.

A few reasons off the top of my head as a guess.

1) Edmonton is fairly isolated with the next largest "hot spot" city being Calgary, 3 hours away. Edmonton does appear to have COVID under control from a growth and hospital standpoint. Calgary does for the most part but Edmonton has much smaller number of cases.

2) Edmonton's arena has a practice arena in the same building as the regular rink and hotels across the street. Given its a newer building, they have lot's of locker room space and good ice for the warmer months.

Just a few items, I am sure the NHL has looked into this a little more than based on what I said.
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 10:35 PM   #88
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
A few reasons off the top of my head as a guess.

1) Edmonton is fairly isolated with the next largest "hot spot" city being Calgary, 3 hours away. Edmonton does appear to have COVID under control from a growth and hospital standpoint. Calgary does for the most part but Edmonton has much smaller number of cases.
Edmonton is stinky and unhygienic, and given to strange social practices. COVID19 can turn on a dime, and today's "safe" haven is next week's viral vortex.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #89
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calgary does not have “it” under control. In fact the Cargill outbreak has impacted about a 1000 people already and continues to grow. A lot of those people live in Calgary.

It’s clear that violating all the requirements put in place by AHS has lead to this and kind of indicates the problem with opening up too early. The outbreak has resulted in the plant shutting down and having a deeper negative economic impact then following the restrictions would have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #90
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
Okay, don't watch then. I'm willing to bet everybody will watch this.
I don't think this happens.

How many individuals (players and support staff) want to be part of this? Players sign on knowing the inherent danger of the game, but they didn't up for this. It's a disaster (and a tragic one) waiting to happen.

How many players get the flu every year? It's not uncommon to see. Can we expect headstrong young jocks to follow protocols?

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-22-2020 at 10:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #91
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My first question would be who is paying for this? If the NHL wants to pay Alberta a billion or so dollars and bring their own private doctors, nurses, and mobile clinics then it could be considered.

Otherwise what’s in it for us? These guys are living in a fantasy world...
Old 04-22-2020, 10:53 PM   #92
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Calgary does not have “it” under control. In fact the Cargill outbreak has impacted about a 1000 people already and continues to grow. A lot of those people live in Calgary.

It’s clear that violating all the requirements put in place by AHS has lead to this and kind of indicates the problem with opening up too early. The outbreak has resulted in the plant shutting down and having a deeper negative economic impact then following the restrictions would have.
Unless the plan is to shutdown until a vaccine or treatment is developed, I don’t see how outbreaks will be avoided. People need to stop thinking as if this economic hiatus is doing anything to prevent spread. Its simply delaying the inevitable.

NHL is taking risks if they proceed but you can be sure Alberta badly needs the economic spinoffs. I’m guessing this has already been agreed to and Hinshaw is being told to figure it out
Old 04-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #93
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I'd like to see how many CP posters that spend a portion of their free time and even work day surfing a forum attached to the Calgary Flames don't tune in for hockey involving said Flames club because of potential asterisk or gimmick reasons.

Sure, senior high horse. Because there are so many more enticing things out there for entertainment that you've got lined up during this time of absolutely zero ongoing productions or sports related events.

Beggars in a pandemic can't be choosers.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:13 PM   #94
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
I think partly because of low covid numbers and partly because of the accommodations being more or less a part of the arena.

Edmonton is undoubtedly no good, but I can understand those justifications.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #95
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the past few weeks I have been saying that this season is done. They just need to put the final nail in the coffin. Even if regulations were lifted somewhere that allowed the NHL to come play and the NHL put together a reasonable plan I honestly can't see the NHLPA getting on board. Both parties need to come together and official call off this season. I feel that right now the NHL and the PA might be posturing because they don't want to be seen as the "bad" guy.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 AM   #96
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think the financial repercussions of outright cancelling the season might be too devastating to the NHL and PA.

Sounds like it would essentially double escrow (talk of 35%), and might force salary rollbacks just to help absorb the losses. Apparently the NHL and NHLPA came to the conclusion that if they canceled the remainder of the season they would lose about $1B in revenue. One billion.

Both sides will do everything they can to find a way to finish the season.
Exactly how are they going to make this billion with empty arena's? gate receipts make up 80% of total revenue, if they're thinking PPV games or that maybe sportsnet will up the anti I think they're on glue.

Personally I'm enjoying 30 year old replays, game 1 of the 89 final was great tonight, I forgot what a great game that was and how great Vernon was with the puny equipment, I would rather watch replays with excited fans and even more excited players than a nothing game in an empty stadium with players just going thru the motions for a paycheck. It's a ridiculous concept IMO.

Around the world people would love their sports back but it's not even close to them wanting things like their jobs, food, a haircut or just general life to return first.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #97
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Exactly how are they going to make this billion with empty arena's? gate receipts make up 80% of total revenue, if they're thinking PPV games or that maybe sportsnet will up the anti I think they're on glue.
Yep, that's the big question. The numbers out there:

Quote:
(...) union leadership told the players on a Thursday conference call that a summer resumption would generate approximately $350 million in revenue from existing television and sponsorship contracts.
Quote:
The NHL has said that resumption could generate between $450 million and $500 million, but that range is believed based on completing the full schedule. Both sides agree that $1 billion in hockey-related revenue will be lost if there is no further play this year.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/nhls-n...s-complicated/
Old 04-23-2020, 04:35 AM   #98
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yep, that's the big question. The numbers out there:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/18/nhls-n...s-complicated/
The league should realize there are far more important things than their numbers.

#reallifeproblems
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #99
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
The league should realize there are far more important things than their numbers.

#reallifeproblems
Of course they are aware there are bigger problems but that should not preclude them from thinking and trying to plan ahead. Life will move on at every level at some point and being prepared for that is a very pragmatic goal

Businesses everywhere and in every sector should be, and likely are, doing the same.

I have my doubts this thing has much of a chance of succeeding as its being framed, but that really should not preclude the people tasked for running the league, from getting things in place should the possibility present itself.

Seems like smart business to me.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the league is being extremely optimistic in thinking they can pull this off but if it happens I will watch but as far as I'm concerned the real NHL season is over and this is more of a World Cup of hockey type of tournament. If the Flames were to win it would be great but it would be an asterisk marked championship.
Closed Thread