Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #1961
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t love the deal, but at the end of the day the Flames tried Neal almost everywhere and he flat out sucked no matter where they put him. So much so that he wasn’t even used in the most important game of the year. So really Lucic can’t be worse.

The Neal signing though now looks absolutely dreadful. Complete waste of cap space.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1962
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The options Brad had were:

1) Buyout Neal have his cap on the books for 8 years
2) Package him with a valuable asset, like Kylington, and get nothing of value back
3) Trade him for Ericksson
4) Trade him for Lucic, adding physicality, grit, hard hitting, determination into the bottom 6 mix

I dont know about you but when you consider all those options I think Tre made the best choice. Especially considering he saved half a mill in cap space to boot.
5) Don’t trade him for anyone...yet.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #1963
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Sure, in a vacuum what you’re saying makes sense. But what if you told Neal to “suck it up and play your 3rd mine minutes” and he’s like “screw that, I have a guaranteed contract, I’ll just continue with my don’t give a #### attitude.”

You really want a guy like that on the roster? What kind of return on a trade are you going to get for an underperforming, grumpy player that’s already weeks into the season? And sure you could waive or buy him out but then you’re losing him for nothing. At least Lucic, while overpaid, fills a need here.
Exactly. And, Just as important, you have a guy coming into the dressing room who actually gives a crap. This is why a guy like Looch (or maybe anyone with a good attitude) can help you when games get hard and in playoffs.

There isn’t a great enough value placed on guys who have the right mentality in the room and who fit in with the group and coach.

One bad apple.....
Doctorfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #1964
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, in a vacuum what you’re saying makes sense. But what if you told Neal to “suck it up and play your 3rd mine minutes” and he’s like “screw that, I have a guaranteed contract, I’ll just continue with my don’t give a #### attitude.”
I think that’s incredibly unlikely that he would be that unprofessional. Then sit him up in the press box for a while and put Ryan Lomberg in his spot.

Quote:
You really want a guy like that on the roster? What kind of return on a trade are you going to get for an underperforming, grumpy player that’s already weeks into the season? And sure you could waive or buy him out but then you’re losing him for nothing. At least Lucic, while overpaid, fills a need here.
Milan Lucic
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #1965
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Quite the thread of back and forth opinions. But also a lot of assumptions.

It seems assumed that Neal has the better chance of an upswing again. Based on what?
It seems assumed Neal could've been bought out, perhaps the owners had issue with that.

One assumption I'm prepared to accept is that it was a deal done in desperation. We don't know if things were so bleak everyone wanted him gone, maybe he wanted gone, hell maybe he was going to demand a trade soon, plummeting any ability to deal him even further.
For all that doom situation, Tre managed to pull out a player with grit and meanness, which they are desperate for, save a little cap room and not worsen the team in terms of quality. I'll take it.
That's my take as well, this team showed it needed more bite and bang in the lineup, Neal was supposed to supply some of that but he woke up one day and thought he was just a slow top 6 goal scorer.

Lucic is an expensive scary winger but at least he hits and goes crazy on opponents taking liberty's on our skilled players. I will guarantee teams like Minnesota won't be slashing Johnny 30 times a game with Lucic in the lineup
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #1966
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The Flames traded a huge haul of picks for a guy that was supposed to help them win the big games. So now the Flames have won 1 playoff game with him on the team and the player taken with the pick they traded for him will 100% be a more effective player than him by the time the next playoffs come around.

It was an ok move at the time but has turned out completely awful for the Flames.
It’s been one year of Bill Peters and Hamonic is not the reason we lost to Colorado in 5 games.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #1967
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I think that’s incredibly unlikely that he would be that unprofessional. Then sit him up in the press box for a while and put Ryan Lomberg in his spot.

Milan Lucic
For sure. And that will help.

Probably up his trade value too.

This is one of those scenarios that had to be dealt with before the next season started.

You are in a window to win. You don’t let on donkey jeopardize that.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #1968
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
As much as we crack on Lucic for breaking down as he gets older, the guy has not played fewer than 79 games going back to 2010-11. With 84 playoff games on top of that.

He doesn't miss time. He has had 200+ hits in six straight seasons. Maybe he'll break down, but it hasn't happened yet. It's possible the Oilers just suck.
It’s really unfortunate because I give it 15 games and most people are going to be wanting him to miss time.

I think people should put the advanced stats away and go watch past Oiler games. I watched nearly all of the Oilers games the past few years and he hasn’t looked like a good serviceable player amongst that collection of AHLers.

But let’s get excited because most of the time he’ll cheap shot someone in a scrum after the play, stalk players away from the puck, throw inconsequential hits, and be a borderline goon on the verge of getting suspended.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #1969
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It’s really unfortunate because I give it 15 games and most people are going to be wanting him to miss time.

I think people should put the advanced stats away and go watch past Oiler games. I watched nearly all of the Oilers games the past few years and he hasn’t looked like a good serviceable player amongst that collection of AHLers.

But let’s get excited because most of the time he’ll cheap shot someone in a scrum after the play, stalk players away from the puck, throw inconsequential hits, and be a borderline goon on the verge of getting suspended.
Old time hockey!!! I love it.

Won the Blues the cup this year.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #1970
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
For sure. And that will help.

Probably up his trade value too.

This is one of those scenarios that had to be dealt with before the next season started.

You are in a window to win. You don’t let on donkey jeopardize that.
But you just traded a donkey that could become a pony if you put pressure on it, for a donkey that will always be a donkey. An angrier donkey but still a donkey.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #1971
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Lucic retires in 2 years, do the Oilers pay the recapture penalty?
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #1972
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Lucic is an expensive scary winger but at least he hits and goes crazy on opponents taking liberty's on our skilled players. I will guarantee teams like Minnesota won't be slashing Johnny 30 times a game with Lucic in the lineup
Remember when Gio took out (according to Oil fans) McDavid and what Lucic did about it?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #1973
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Old time hockey!!! I love it.

Won the Blues the cup this year.
What player on the Blues is a Lucic comparable?
Old 07-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #1974
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Read somewhere Neal and Smith were locker room problems? any truth to that?
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #1975
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Yep, they were always leaving their energy bar wrappers lying around and changing the stereo to 90s music.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #1976
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What player on the Blues is a Lucic comparable?
Patrick Maroon.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #1977
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Patrick Maroon.
Not really. Maroon can keep up with the play and is more of a power forward than Lucic these days. Even then there’s a reason he was only given a one year deal for 1.75 and is now without a contract. The demand for these types of guys is low.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #1978
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always love how the guy that had a ####ty year is now working out with Gary Roberts, like that is going to improve his skating and skill.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #1979
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
If so it’ll be three veteran players in three years (Brouwer being the other) that mysteriously develop “locker room problems” after they leave the club, and who were being touted for their “leadership strengths” during their tenure at the club.

Clearly none of us are in the room and can’t know for sure, but my spider-sense calls BS on these reports. For me it’s just a convenient distraction that all teams employ to help “sell” a transaction to the fan base.

Those who see the translation as positive will put weight to these reports, and those who see the transaction as negative will ignore them.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #1980
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But you just traded a donkey that could become a pony if you put pressure on it, for a donkey that will always be a donkey. An angrier donkey but still a donkey.
Someone who coaches would rather have a donkey then maybe a one trick pony.
At least you know you will get effort.

Ever try and get a donkey to back down?

Maybe not a great comparison... lol.