Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #561
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Henrique would be one of the last guys I would be targeting. We are short on cap space. No need for an aging, overpaid third line center.
It is crazy how quickly 29 years old has become aging in the new NHL, but everything else is a fair point. Henrique was just a name I threw out which can help our center depth. Who do you think would be a good target?

I guess RNH, if the two Alberta teams can make a trade, is also a solid option.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #562
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It is crazy how quickly 29 years old has become aging in the new NHL, but everything else is a fair point. Henrique was just a name I threw out which can help our center depth. Who do you think would be a good target?

Depends on the price. Henrique/Turris/Rask for Neal could work.

Kadri would have been pretty ideal. Nuge is at the front of mind right now. Can’t really think of many more available centers.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #563
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post

Yeah I think RNH would be a good fit, but hard to imagine that happening. Kadri was a perfect candidate in mind, even before the rumors. It hurts knowing we were so close to getting him.

Turris could be a buy low candidate, but only if we can send Neal back the other way. I like Tyler Johnson as well, but I think that all depends on what happens with Point. Also I don't think 29 is old or anything- but some guys just deteriorate quicker than others. Just by watching Henrique last year he looked slow and weak.

Other than that there's not a lot out there for centers unfortunately. I wouldn't mind taking a run a Kreider depending on the price and then move Tkachuk to RW. That at least gives us another scoring option.

Otherwise it looks like we will just have to hope Jankowski can take a step.

Last edited by bax; 07-17-2019 at 10:09 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #564
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Yeah I think RNH would be a good fit, but hard to imagine that happening. Kadri was a perfect candidate in mind, even before the rumors. It hurts knowing we were so close to getting him.

Turris could be a buy low candidate, but only if we can send Neal back the other way.

Other than that there's not a lot out there for centers unfortunately. I wouldn't mind taking a run a Kreider depending on the price and then move Tkachuk to RW. That at least gives us another scoring option.

Otherwise it looks like we will just have to hope Jankowski can take a step.
for some reason I thought flames fans mostly disliked RNH. that he was a weak player, overpaid, underscoring, poor on faceoffs and overrated defensively.

how all of a sudden is he a good fit?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #565
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

New here?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #566
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
for some reason I thought flames fans mostly disliked RNH. that he was a weak player, overpaid, underscoring, poor on faceoffs and overrated defensively.

I can't speak for other posters, but I've always thought RNH is a good player.

He isn't the strongest guy and can get muscled off the puck, but has excellent positioning and an active stick that make him quite effective in the defensive zone.

At 6 million he definitely isn't overpaid. James Neal is overpaid.

His production is actually really good for a second line center. 69 points last year. Even more impressive when you consider the garbage group of wingers he played with.

I will say I don't think he's great on face-offs. That isn't a huge deal for the Flames though since we have lots of wingers that can sub in for the draw. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Seems like a really good fit to me as a second line center? Especially since Backlund would continue to take the first line match ups and defensive starts allowing Monahan and RNH to player more offensive minded games.

Last edited by bax; 07-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #567
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He finally had a breakout season last year. Still not the perfect candidate but there is a fit there and the Flames have what the Oilers need in defense.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #568
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Depends on the price. Henrique/Turris/Rask for Neal could work.

Kadri would have been pretty ideal. Nuge is at the front of mind right now. Can’t really think of many more available centers.
Vegas is in cap trouble. I wonder if Eakin could be obtained - he's on his last year. They also need help on defence. And maybe they remember Neal more fondly.

Eakin, Reaves for Brodie, Neal, with some retention on Neal? Or maybe Brodie/Jankowski?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #569
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It's almost like CP isn't a hive mind.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #570
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Granlund? Plays RW and C, last year of his contract. Nashville can't be happy with his production after they traded for him. And they have with RyJo, Duchene and Turris all signed long term. I'm sure they'd rather trade Turris but that's a hard sell indeed.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #571
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vegas is in cap trouble. I wonder if Eakin could be obtained - he's on his last year. They also need help on defence. And maybe they remember Neal more fondly.

Eakin, Reaves for Brodie, Neal, with some retention on Neal? Or maybe Brodie/Jankowski?
I don’t like the value with Eakin being the main piece for Brodie. He definitely does not improve the second line center position in my opinion. Also Flames are in cap trouble so money in would have to equal money out. Maybe Vegas kicks in a couple of picks to make it more enticing?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #572
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t like the value with Eakin being the main piece for Brodie. He definitely does not improve the second line center position in my opinion. Also Flames are in cap trouble so money in would have to equal money out. Maybe Vegas kicks in a couple of picks to make it more enticing?
He's not ideal - he's more of a 3C who pushes Jankowski to wing. Or off the team in the trade. My concept is that is that you then have Backlund and Eakin more close in production which maybe solves some problems. Plus you get Reaves.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #573
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
It's almost like CP isn't a hive mind.
when it comes to Edmonton, CP usually is a hive mind.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #574
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He finally had a breakout season last year. Still not the perfect candidate but there is a fit there and the Flames have what the Oilers need in defense.
but losing RNH would make the oilers have to move draisaitl permanently to centre with nothing left on the wings but crap.

don't think it would be worth it for the oilers, even if it did improve the defense.

besides, didn't RNH also spend a lot of time last year on McDavid's wing? so couldn't his breakout year be a bit of a mirage?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #575
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but losing RNH would make the oilers have to move draisaitl permanently to centre with nothing left on the wings but crap.

don't think it would be worth it for the oilers, even if it did improve the defense.

besides, didn't RNH also spend a lot of time last year on McDavid's wing? so couldn't his breakout year be a bit of a mirage?
You tell me if it was a mirage you’re the Oilers fan.

I thought Draisaitl was supposed to be a center?

You have had a garbage d-Corp since Pronger left so why fix it? The team has been in great shape since then
Old 07-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #576
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe Granlund? Plays RW and C, last year of his contract. Nashville can't be happy with his production after they traded for him. And they have with RyJo, Duchene and Turris all signed long term. I'm sure they'd rather trade Turris but that's a hard sell indeed.
I've always liked Granlund though I have been disappointed with his career. I thought he would be more an impact player. Wonderful skill set but he's very easy to play against. Strikes me as the type of player who puts up points on bad teams.
Not what the Flames need
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #577
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You tell me if it was a mirage you’re the Oilers fan.

I thought Draisaitl was supposed to be a center?

You have had a garbage d-Corp since Pronger left so why fix it? The team has been in great shape since then
I think the last season for RNH is right about where he should be, and will be for the next while. he seems to have rediscovered his offense and is the best two way player on the oilers.

I'd hate to see him go and he's one of the few oilers who I think does do his best every shift.

as for Draisaitl, I have no idea what he is. he's an excellent player, and I hope he would still be a ppg player running his own line, but I really have no idea. I don't think he's played enough at center to really be able to tell.

I would just say trading RNH to fix the defense just patches one hole to open up another.
as much as it sucks for Oiler fans and for McDavid, I think the best course if to not make any big moves this season. let the new coach & GM see what the can do with what they have and make some moves next year when there is some cap space. what's one more year of crap hockey? we're used to it up here.

as for possibly trading RNH to the flames. I don't think holland would care about that. if he honestly felt it would benefit the oilers, he'd probably make the move. only reason I think it wouldn't happen is holland doesn't make many trades at all.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #578
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the last season for RNH is right about where he should be, and will be for the next while. he seems to have rediscovered his offense and is the best two way player on the oilers.

I'd hate to see him go and he's one of the few oilers who I think does do his best every shift.

as for Draisaitl, I have no idea what he is. he's an excellent player, and I hope he would still be a ppg player running his own line, but I really have no idea. I don't think he's played enough at center to really be able to tell.

I would just say trading RNH to fix the defense just patches one hole to open up another.
as much as it sucks for Oiler fans and for McDavid, I think the best course if to not make any big moves this season. let the new coach & GM see what the can do with what they have and make some moves next year when there is some cap space. what's one more year of crap hockey? we're used to it up here.

as for possibly trading RNH to the flames. I don't think holland would care about that. if he honestly felt it would benefit the oilers, he'd probably make the move. only reason I think it wouldn't happen is holland doesn't make many trades at all.
If the Oilers are going to trade RNH, they need to target a different player than the 1-year contract of Brodie.

They would need to focus on a young d-man with multiple years of control.

For that reason, the Oilers and the Flames are a bad match up for a trade, as each would rather lose more cap than they are getting.

The Oilers should focus more on trading RHN (if they decide to do so, even though I don't believe they are) for a guy like Valimaki. I'm not saying Valimaki per se, as I doubt the Flames want to move him, but that's the type of player than the Oilers should be targeting as a return.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #579
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep thinking Turris is plan B. But 6m per year for several more years.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #580
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I keep thinking Turris is plan B. But 6m per year for several more years.
Would have to be a Neal for Turris swap for sure- even then Treliving has his work cut out for him.