Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #321
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Still it's not as confusing as idiotic Marvel's rebooting of their titles every 2-3 years where you now have like 6 different volumes of Avengers #1.
They're both bad. DC relaunched everything in 2011 with New 52 and then did it again 5 years later with Rebirth.

Both companies have renumbered their issues and then un-renumbering when they reach landmark numbers. It's confusing and stupid.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:16 AM   #322
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They're both bad. DC relaunched everything in 2011 with New 52 and then did it again 5 years later with Rebirth.

Both companies have renumbered their issues and then un-renumbering when they reach landmark numbers. It's confusing and stupid.
I actually like how DC returned to the original numbering after ending the new 52. They returned to the initial continuity. Also allows everyone to pretend the New 52 never existed.

They should have done it with a few more of the classic titles though.

Last edited by blankall; 01-04-2018 at 04:18 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #323
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually like how DC returned to the original numbering after ending the new 52. They returned to the initial continuity. Also allows everyone to pretend the New 52 never existed.

They should have done it with a few more of the classic titles though.
New52 had some amazing runs especially Batman, Justice League and Wonder Woman. Plus Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern started off really strong. It was the perfect jumping on point for new readers and introduced several characters to me which I have continued reading ever since (Aquaman, Wonder Woman). Superman was not done justice tho I stopped reading him but with Rebirth Action Comics has returned to my must read list.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #324
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was the first new comic day of 2018 this past Wednesday!

Marvel has me flummoxed a bit lately, in the sense that a bunch of titles I've enjoyed were confirmed to be cancelled over the holidays - but always by the creative teams (mostly writers). Luckily a few books that have debuted recently have been incredibly strong IMO - the Phoenix Resurrection series and the Rogue & Gambit miniseries. And Marvel has already started teasing at April solicits with the announcement of a new Exiles series from writer Saladin Ahmed (writer of the Black Bolt series).

I kind of wish comics could somehow better coordinate these cancellation and debut announcements - like how TV networks do upfronts, but on a more regular basis. Maybe quarterly? But comics in general could be marketed so, so much better so that's a whole other discussion.

I took a machete to my pull list, reducing it from 41 titles to 17 for 2018 -- though I'll be following an additional 10 through Marvel Unlimited, which will mean reading them after a 6 month wait from the initial release date. I also got a Hoopla membership to read comics online, though I'm disappointed that my library system limits me to 2 Hoopla borrows per month. I don't get why the limit is so low, it must have to do with cost to them charged by Hoopla? Either way, 2018 is seeing a big change in how I read and collect my comics.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #325
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I also got a Hoopla membership to read comics online, though I'm disappointed that my library system limits me to 2 Hoopla borrows per month. I don't get why the limit is so low, it must have to do with cost to them charged by Hoopla? Either way, 2018 is seeing a big change in how I read and collect my comics.
Thanks for the heads up about Hoopla. Never heard of it before but I just signed up and the Calgary Public Library has a lot of comics to borrow. Limit of 3/month though.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #326
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They're at it again.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #327
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're at it again.

Dear God when is enough enough. It's actually pretty sad, I've heard nothing but bad things in regards to the Marvel books yet because they always reboot they remain #1 in sales. Either do a complete reboot ala New52 or don't waste my time.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #328
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're at it again.

Advertising its comics in the hopes that people will buy them? Yes, Marvel is at it again. How droll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I've heard nothing but bad things in regards to the Marvel books
The people you're talking to aren't reading the right books or just have a negative outlook on the hobby. Because there's been many great stories and titles being released all the time.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-21-2018 at 03:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #329
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My "at it again" comment is in reference to them restarting a bunch of series all over again. DC is just as bad.

I have Marvel Unlimited and try to keep up with the stories as the come on to the service. I have no idea where to start. What is cannon anymore. The covers are marked with the title of an event so I don't know if I need to read the other series for this one to make sense. It feels like they're rebooting their series every couple years.

Maybe I'm just getting old and have been out of monthly comics too long.

UPDATE:

I do like this piece of news. Hopefully it helps resolve some of the confusion:

Quote:
Marvel’s numerous Avengers titles will be condensed to a single book, Avengers, which will kick off in Avengers #1 in May. Avengers will be written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Ed McGuinness, and will publish 18 issues in a year, rather than the monthly 12.

The character lineup for the team will feature a “Big Three” of Captain America, Thor and Iron Man — each in their classic incarnations as Steve Rogers, Thor Odinson and Tony Stark — as well as Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider and Jennifer Walters as Hulk. Doctor Strange will also temporarily join the group, in a “rotating slot.”

Last edited by KTrain; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #330
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess my main issue with this and why it annoys me so much is they are always rebooting/renumbering, and if there going to do something like that then at least make it so it's easy for new readers to jump on. New52 was perfect because it gave new readers a chance to get into any character that DC has. Rebirth again was a fresh restart for all the series and that was 5 years after the New52. This reboot isn't even a year since Marvel NOW.

The one thing I will say is, it looks like they are consolidating their entire Avengers books into a single book so MAYBE I will give it a go, because I really really liked Hickman's run on Avengers (that was the last Marvel book I read with any consistency)

On the other side of the coin, I can not say enough good things about Action Comics of late. The book has revitalized my love for Supes can't wait for issue 1,000
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #331
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I still like the idea of comics moving to a volume system. 12 issues in a volume. One creative team on those 12 issues so they can tell their complete story. If the same creative team stays on for another 12 issues, great, if not, another creative team will tell a complete story. You get yearly jumping on points for new readers. For completests it's easier to start a collection. The companies get 2 TPBs for each series a year.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #332
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad idea actually, hopefully it's something they consider. Would be a good way to organize everything and keep collectors happy.

Here are some of the variant covers for AC 1000, I'm really digging the 60s one!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/comic...s-1000-a158055
Old 02-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #333
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still like the idea of comics moving to a volume system. 12 issues in a volume. One creative team on those 12 issues so they can tell their complete story. If the same creative team stays on for another 12 issues, great, if not, another creative team will tell a complete story. You get yearly jumping on points for new readers. For completests it's easier to start a collection. The companies get 2 TPBs for each series a year.
You're going to be hard pressed to find more than a handful of art teams that can release 12 issues in a calendar year. And most of what you're describing is happening on most titles already, albeit with only the writer staying on a title consistently for multiple years.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-21-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #334
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So May solicits came and went, and Marvel doesn't seem to be doing a line-wide relaunch or re-boot like folks online were freaking out about. Some new titles are starting, some titles are wrapping up, and story arcs continue.

I read a good thread involving a Marvel editor on Twitter this morning - all the comics fans hand wringing about numbering and relaunching seems to come down to a) That new fans (and therefore stores) seem to find new #1s the easiest place to start with, regardless of whatever volume numbering, shadow numbering, or what have you are included, and b) The problem of getting more people to buy and read comics is much larger than numbering and new series.

Here are the Marvel solicits from May if anyone is interested.

Here are DC's.

And here are Image's. If you check further into sites like Newsarama and CBR, you will see solicits from the rest of the smaller publishers as well.

Lastly, Image Expo took place in Portland yesterday, and the presentation included announcements of 20 or so new titles coming from the publisher over the remainder of the calendar year (though some may end up being delayed or never seeing the light of day, as has been the case for past Expo announcements).

Titles that were part of that announcement that have captured my interest include:
  • Crowded, by Christopher Sebela, Ted Brandt, Ro Stein & Triona Farrell. Crowded is described as "...a cynical send-up of the app economy and online grudges...In Crowded, a platform called Reapr allows anyone to crowdfund assassination attempts."
  • Dead Guy Fan Club by Annie Wu, which is about "...founders of a rock star’s fan club [that] reunite in adulthood to investigate the suspicious death of their hero and the involvement of an unhinged member of their old flock."
  • What's The Furthest Place From Here, from Tyler Boss and Matthew Rosenberg of 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank. This new series "...tells the story of a gang of young punks getting lost in the wasteland of America. After their youngest member disappears their quest to find her may put them in a fight to survive against the most deadly terrain, the most dangerous gangs, and maybe even each other."
Old 02-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #335
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So May solicits came and went, and Marvel doesn't seem to be doing a line-wide relaunch or re-boot like folks online were freaking out about. Some new titles are starting, some titles are wrapping up, and story arcs continue.

I read a good thread involving a Marvel editor on Twitter this morning - all the comics fans hand wringing about numbering and relaunching seems to come down to a) That new fans (and therefore stores) seem to find new #1s the easiest place to start with, regardless of whatever volume numbering, shadow numbering, or what have you are included, and b) The problem of getting more people to buy and read comics is much larger than numbering and new series.
Yeah good luck with that Marvel. On Bleeding Cool every week they have about 20 comic stores in the US email in their weekly sales numbers and DC has been hammering them every single month since Rebirth launched so about 2 years now.

Marvel ranks #1 on the Distrubutor charts for books shipped but I guess those numbers are inflated because they send out freebies to the stores that are included.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #336
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bleeding Cool isn't worth ****.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #337
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone collect early Amazing spiderman....anywhere between 1-300ish?
Buck Murdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #338
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a lot of them, not all but a lot. Why, what's up?
Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #339
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Anyone collect early Amazing spiderman....anywhere between 1-300ish?
Had lots of them and my Mom gave them all away.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #340
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had a few old ones for a long time, but just recently started collecting some issues again. Ive stayed away from cgc but have tried to get 9.0 ish copies in the 1 to 300 range. Will to buy/trade if anyone has issues they want to get rid of.
Buck Murdock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck Murdock For This Useful Post: