Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #121
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Pretty sure there's just one episode left.
Oh #### your right!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #122
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think that they did such a good job at conveying just how frustrating dealing with Dr. Manhattan can be, the way he knows what is going to happen but seems entirely unwilling to stop bad things from happening. With that they do a good job of showing how he can accidentally mess with events by trying to use his 'time power' to much. The loop between Abar and Reeves for example. It felt like they did nearly as good of a job of disembodying Jon Ostermann as the Graphic novel did.
My only issue with that is that he kept influencing future events by telling people that he knows about the future and using information about the future in conversation.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #123
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Certainly my least favourite episode of the season. They took 40 minutes to say 10 minutes worth of stuff. Sure they can’t all be zingers but in a nine season episode have one filler episode is rough. Thankfully the final 15 made up for it. Still the best show I’ve watched in quite a while and I’m excited to see the finale next week.

Any word on if it’s expected to be the standard hour or will it be longer?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #124
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Certainly my least favourite episode of the season. They took 40 minutes to say 10 minutes worth of stuff. Sure they can’t all be zingers but in a nine season episode have one filler episode is rough. Thankfully the final 15 made up for it. Still the best show I’ve watched in quite a while and I’m excited to see the finale next week.

Any word on if it’s expected to be the standard hour or will it be longer?
You might not have liked the execution, but the episode was far from filler. It basically tied everything that happened in the series thus far together. I thought that was actually pretty phenomenal considering how out their this stuff is. Veidt trapped on Europa, the Minutemen, the history of the KKK, the Vietnam war, the disappearance of Dr. Manhattan, ongoing squid attacks, a Rorschach cult, etc.. all fit together pretty logically now.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #125
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You might not have liked the execution, but the episode was far from filler. It basically tied everything that happened in the series thus far together. I thought that was actually pretty phenomenal considering how out their this stuff is. Veidt trapped on Europa, the Minutemen, the history of the KKK, the Vietnam war, the disappearance of Dr. Manhattan, ongoing squid attacks, a Rorschach cult, etc.. all fit together pretty logically now.
Eh, like photon said it was a lot of hand holding and it was the first episode I caught myself dinking around of my phone while watching. Like I said it felt like 40 minutes to say 10 minutes worth of story. Not the end of the world simply my least favourite episode. I’m sure the finale will be great, Lindelof has never let me down before.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #126
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed it, but I can see why it could be accused of offeirng some fan-service for those that wanted a bit of Dr. Manhattan.

Watched past the credits, since it seemed like there was quite a bit of time remaining. I thought Veidt's "crown" held some kind of power, but just using it to scrape at the floor of his cell seemed odd.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #127
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I enjoyed it, but I can see why it could be accused of offeirng some fan-service for those that wanted a bit of Dr. Manhattan.

Watched past the credits, since it seemed like there was quite a bit of time remaining. I thought Veidt's "crown" held some kind of power, but just using it to scrape at the floor of his cell seemed odd.
Veidt is a genius with total understanding of engineering and construction. The timeline also goes by in years. I think we'll see a shawshank redemption type escape, where he slowly scrapes his way out through the course of a year.

Edit: I think it was a horseshoe not a crown.

Last edited by blankall; 12-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #128
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm apparently there was a post credits scene last night
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #129
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Hmmm apparently there was a post credits scene last night
yes, here it is if you haven't seen it:

Spoiler!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #130
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The episode was heavy handed if you're familiar with the world and Dr Manhattan but those new to the Watchmen needed that. Large chunks of the episode were basically chapter 3 (I think) of the comics re-done. It's one of my favourite parts of the graphic novel so no complaints from me.

The first bits, building a modern day Eden on Europa and backstory that came with that, were brilliant.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #131
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I loved that episode so much that I demand Res and Photon self ban for not liking it. I’m actually filled with rage that anyone didn’t love that as much as I did.

I thought all of the Dr Manhattan stuff was necessary exposition and a wonderful continuation of his character from the comic and his love with Laurie. They took his future knowledge to a new level but the only thing I felt he really influenced was Angela’s grandfather and that was because he was still a bit confused and didn’t know when he was, otherwise I think he would’ve stopped it.

Do we know where the Cavalry sent him? I don’t remember if they mentioned.

Good lord the score was wonderful again. The piano section right before Angela fights the Cavalry and then it kicks into high gear with some guitar or something. Incredible.

The special effects when he was bright blue were a little substandard but it’s a TV show so it’s easily forgivable. Even GoT had some iffy effects and it had a massive budget.

As an aside but Billy Crudup was an excellent Manhattan in the film. He had the perfect monotone yet soothing voice. His entire monologue sequence in the film where he talks about experiencing time all at once might be my favourite non-Rorschach part of that movie.

Oh one last thing. I’d heard Robert Redford came out of acting retirement to play the president. Have we seen him at all yet? Obviously not as an actor so far but even as a photo in the background or something. Wonder if he makes a proper appearance in the finale. I’d be a little disappointed if coming out of retirement meant they just used his name and a background picture on TV or cover of a newspaper.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-10-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #132
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Forgot Veidt. The idea that he put himself there after being disgusted that humanity didn’t follow his genius only for him to consider it a prison and that our idiocy and imperfections, his frustration at being the world’s smartest man who can devise the perfect plan for world peace only for things to revert back, was actually what he adored about earth. Loved it all.

Did he mention to Jon before he memory wiped him when they were in the lab that no one knew it was him? But didn’t he make that video that the Senator and the 7th Cavalry had? Maybe he meant the world and not just a few select people.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #133
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I didn't say I didn't like it, it was just my least favorite episode of the series so far. This is still one of the better TV series I've seen in a long time so it's still great.

Just wait till next season when they take a page out of Disney's book and we see BABY Dr. Manhattan! Then I'll hate it.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #134
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’d watch that. He did say he could pass along his power. It could be a zany comedy with a famous actor providing the voice.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #135
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d watch that. He did say he could pass along his power. It could be a zany comedy with a famous actor providing the voice.

Will Smith?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #136
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a show that has done very little hand holding to date, holding the viewers' hands a bit while laying out who Doctor Manhattan is and how he works before detailing how he's been among the rest of the show the whole time was important. And it was artfully done.

Hey, Doc Manhattan and Angela met in Mr Eddy's Bar in Saigon.

That's a callback to VVN day with the Comedian.

Also how the title is how he walks into (Angela) Abar, not a bar like you'd expect in the joke setup.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 12-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #137
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a brilliant show. It took me a few episodes to get into things but after a couple big reveals I was hooked.

I really enjoyed episode 8. I liked the portrayal of Doctor Manhattan and it had to be one of the best sci-fi love stories ever put to film. I cannot wait to see how they wrap things up.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #138
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Also how the title is how he walks into (Angela) Abar, not a bar like you'd expect in the joke setup.
Well unless it's a triple meaning with Angela eventually becoming Dr. Manhattan, I think it's much more likely referring to Cal Abar.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #139
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Good lord the score was wonderful again. The piano section right before Angela fights the Cavalry and then it kicks into high gear with some guitar or something. Incredible.

Spoiler!

Reznor and Ross have some damn good stuff.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #140
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good episode, if a little predictable. Nice setup for a next season but also a good ending if there isn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: