Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #301
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
So comparing current availability to the screen caps taken a couple days ago, and something interesting is happening. On the one hand, several rows of the $90 tickets in 104 have gone, but on the other, entire rows that were marked unavailable a few days ago are fully available today. That adds a little bit of concern as we don't actually know any more what is sold, and what has been reserved but won't sell.
I would expect that large chunks have already been given to some of the big sponsors like WestJet. I would imagine that they'd get a certain amount regardless, but that might explain entire rows changing and moving around.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #302
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
And what is the "March to the match" Tommy keeps talking about on the radio?
Tommy loves to talk about a march to the match, but there has never been any discussions (at least with the supporters there haven't been) about actually making that happen.

The whole point of a march to the match is for the supporters to march from nearby pubs, to the stadium, chanting support for the club throughout the neighborhood. With Spruce Meadows' location, and the isolated nature of the stadium, it just won't happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #303
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, that would explain the $60 seats vanishing. But not full rows re-appearing. That smacks of seats reserved for a sponsor, who gave them back.

Have to say though, that render of the stadium looks really good. Ridiculous prices aside, it looks like a good way to spend a summer Saturday afternoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #304
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Tommy loves to talk about a march to the match, but there has never been any discussions (at least with the supporters there haven't been) about actually making that happen.

The whole point of a march to the match is for the supporters to march from nearby pubs, to the stadium, chanting support for the club throughout the neighborhood. With Spruce Meadows' location, and the isolated nature of the stadium, it just won't happen.
What about a march from the Big Rock tent? everyone meet there an assemble the troops.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #305
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
What about a march from the Big Rock tent? everyone meet there an assemble the troops.
That could potentially work, assuming everyone gets there early enough and things are set up with time to spare.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #306
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That could potentially work, assuming everyone gets there early enough and things are set up with time to spare.
I'll do my best to try marching (in a straight line) upon leaving the Big Rock tent.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #307
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like demand for busses is bigger than expected, and there will now be a second bus from the Rose and Crown to the game on Saturday.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #308
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s the Rose and Crown bus deal like? Is it transport to and from only or is there a ticket and a ride combo available with them like the Ship?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #309
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What’s the Rose and Crown bus deal like? Is it transport to and from only or is there a ticket and a ride combo available with them like the Ship?
It's just a bus ride to and from the game, for free. That's all. Just don't be a ###### and drink somewhere else, then walk over the Rose and Crown and hop on the bus.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #310
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Make John Henry's Pub BOOMING before games! Not sure it can fit more than 30 ppl, but you could try!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9005...7i13312!8i6656

John Henry's on the left, Spruce Meadows straight away. And it's part of a Tom's House of Pizza...WIN WIN.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #311
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So let's talk about tools/apps/sites to follow the league and team.

My go-to mobile app is Forza Football, and they have added CanPL fixtures and tables to their app. It doesn't look like they've got real-time alerts or squad quite yet, but I personally don't need a buzz for every goal. But it is good to see when other teams around the league are playing.

On a computer, I prefer soccerway.com (here's a direct link to the CanPL page within their site). Their data goes a bit deeper and includes the squads so you can see the players. Fairly barebones site, but lots of data and easy to navigate.

LiveSoccerTV.com seems to be nicely updated with CanPL fixtures, even though everything currently showing up is just on OneSoccer. I find that this site is pretty accurate and up-to-date for other leagues on Canadian TV, so it'll be good when confirming when we get that odd game on CBC.

Obviously there are official apps from the league which goes deeper into the players, news, etc., OneSoccer for streaming.

So what do you use for your soccer data? Has your go-to site been updated with CanPL stuff? I use theScore for hockey, but it has become bloated over the years, and I see that they haven't added CanPL yet.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 05-03-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #312
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a good local source of news and opinion, check out Total Soccer Project. Seems to be run by Stuart Gradon, who I believe was a sports writer for one of the big newspapers here in Calgary (and maybe still is). But he's a proper journalist with an interest in soccer in Calgary in particular.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #313
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So let's talk about tools/apps/sites to follow the league and team.

My go-to mobile app is Forza Football, and they have added CanPL fixtures and tables to their app. It doesn't look like they've got real-time alerts or squad quite yet, but I personally don't need a buzz for every goal. But it is good to see when other teams around the league are playing.

On a computer, I prefer soccerway.com (here's a direct link to the CanPL page within their site). Their data goes a bit deeper and includes the squads so you can see the players. Fairly barebones site, but lots of data and easy to navigate.

LiveSoccerTV.com seems to be nicely updated with CanPL fixtures, even though everything currently showing up is just on OneSoccer. I find that this site is pretty accurate and up-to-date for other leagues on Canadian TV, so it'll be good when confirming when we get that odd game on CBC.

Obviously there are official apps from the league which goes deeper into the players, news, etc., OneSoccer for streaming.

So what do you use for your soccer data? Has your go-to site been updated with CanPL stuff? I use theScore for hockey, but it has become bloated over the years, and I see that they haven't added CanPL yet.
I also use theScore as my go-to app for all sports but am looking for someplace to get scores from CPL games. I've been using the official CPL app but they don't make it easy to find scores. I'll check out Forza Football.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #314
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
I also use theScore as my go-to app for all sports but am looking for someplace to get scores from CPL games. I've been using the official CPL app but they don't make it easy to find scores. I'll check out Forza Football.
I think that you'll like it. It lets you follow leagues and teams, lots of customization of alerts, and a pretty tidy interface. I recommend it to anyone who will listen. Where else can I have Cosenza (Serie B), Norwich (soon-to-be Prem), Cavalry, Whitecaps, Hamburger SV in Bundesliga 2 (so I have something to talk about with Howie_16), etc. all under one roof?

The CanPL stuff is in its infancy on there, but it'll only get better.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #315
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
What are we expecting for beer prices/concessions....Has any information been released on that?
I can't remember pricing off the top of my head, but the preseason friendly with Edmonton had fairly expensive tall-boy cans and crazy long lineups before the match and especially at half time. I don't think they were expecting that much of a crowd, and weren't ready for everyone to be wanting service at the same time. It sounds like they've learned from that and hopefully it won't be as much of an issue for the regular season. Also, there weren't any draft beer options from what I can remember.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #316
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I can't remember pricing off the top of my head, but the preseason friendly with Edmonton had fairly expensive tall-boy cans and crazy long lineups before the match and especially at half time. I don't think they were expecting that much of a crowd, and weren't ready for everyone to be wanting service at the same time. It sounds like they've learned from that and hopefully it won't be as much of an issue for the regular season. Also, there weren't any draft beer options from what I can remember.
Too bad about the draft beer, but as long as there is decent variety of tall boys I'll manage. I'm hoping for some classic footie foods like pies and chip butties. I know Toronto FC was pretty good about adding those in their concessions. I assume the Spruce Meadows concessions usually tend more towards prawn cocktails and caviar though
Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #317
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I vaguely remember tall boys being $8 at the game in September. Which, of course, means that these same tall boys will be $12 tomorrow

Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #318
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should we wear our best 'day at the horse races' fashion tomorrow? I'm getting pumped for the prawn cocktails and caviar options too! I'll have those along with my Woodford Reserve Mint Julep
Old 05-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #319
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Should we wear our best 'day at the horse races' fashion tomorrow? I'm getting pumped for the prawn cocktails and caviar options too! I'll have those along with my Woodford Reserve Mint Julep
I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't find that stand tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #320
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I vaguely remember tall boys being $8 at the game in September. Which, of course, means that these same tall boys will be $12 tomorrow
Probably not far off. I would say "Flames pricing or higher" just based on everything else we've seen.

As much as I'm Mr. Negative about all things pricing, $12 beer wouldn't actually bother me. Fairly standard and expected thing at sporting events these days, and not off the charts like tickets.

I think if someone is going to have 3 beers, they'll have them regardless of whether they are $8, $10, or $12. To be fair, if I had 3 beers I would spend half of the match relieving myself, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge