Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #161
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Anyone else getting tried of Friedman?
Very slightly, but I'm more tired of people who are tired of Friedman. I agree with EF more often than not, and I think he is still correct more often than not.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #162
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk needs to evolve like Marchand did. He can still play hard and be a pain to play against while getting points.

Opponents are starting to figure it out and refs won't be falling for it as much. Plus it'll wreck his body and shorten his career.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Tkachuk needs to evolve like Marchand did. He can still play hard and be a pain to play against while getting points.

Opponents are starting to figure it out and refs won't be falling for it as much. Plus it'll wreck his body and shorten his career.
Marchand has speed to fall back on, and two excellent linemates. Tkachuk hasn’t meshed with Lindholm like I hoped.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #164
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, let's all turn on Tkachuk because he plays too hard and tries to agitate opposition into taking penalties while forcing his teammates to engage.

Sounds like the type of guy you don't want around your team.

Stfu. Whoever on the Flames is tired of Tkachuk trying too hard and forcing them into battle, get them off the fuc**** team yesterday.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Yea, let's all turn on Tkachuk because he plays too hard and tries to agitate opposition into taking penalties while forcing his teammates to engage.

Sounds like the type of guy you don't want around your team.

Stfu. Whoever on the Flames is tired of Tkachuk trying too hard and forcing them into battle, get them off the fuc**** team yesterday.
What you’re describing is one thing. Throwing tantrums after the game for Muzzin doing “getting in your head” stuff we all laughed about when he did it to Doughty and then pouting because everyone except for his line was already off the ice is different.

I’d like him to score a few goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #166
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk letting Muzzin get to him the way he did was embarrassing.

I love his compete, but get a grip. No more hissy fits, just score goals, agitate your opponents and win hockey games.

I really hope their is a way for Treliving to trade Tkachuk for a #1 center. No GM in their right mind would trade a #1C for a winger, but sometimes circumstances make nearly impossible things suddenly possible.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #167
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tkachuk letting Muzzin get to him the way he did was embarrassing.

I love his compete, but get a grip. No more hissy fits, just score goals, agitate your opponents and win hockey games.

I really hope their is a way for Treliving to trade Tkachuk for a #1 center. No GM in their right mind would trade a #1C for a winger, but sometimes circumstances make nearly impossible things suddenly possible.
Agreed, when you are known as an agitator by doing stuff that Muzzin did then get agitated when it's your turn it's a bad look. If you're going to dish it out you need to be able to take it when it's your turn.

I wouldn't look at trading Tkachuk even for if it meant a #1C coming back. I'd find another way to get that center. He's too valuable and can be another Marchand.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #168
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
What you’re describing is one thing. Throwing tantrums after the game for Muzzin doing “getting in your head” stuff we all laughed about when he did it to Doughty and then pouting because everyone except for his line was already off the ice is different.

The Muzzin tantrum was embarrassing and shouldn't have happened, but when you're telling arguably the best player on the team to cool it down, your team culture has some deep issues.

It makes sense that Tkachuk has looked out of sorts since then. He's basically trying to play a completely brand new game to make his teammates happy. Either that or he's basically giving them a big "f*** you".

Tkachuk has been the face of the Flames basically since he was drafted, and now fans are turning on him because of poor performance in a small timeframe.

Flames fans are always bitc**** and whining that the Flames can never acquire good players and that the Flames are too soft and don't try hard enough, and then when the Flames get the perfect player in Tkachuk, they find something else to bitc* and whine about because they got nothing better to do.

Tkachuk is the face of the Flames. At least until the Flames are somehow able to bring in a bonafide #1 star centre. He's the type of player in which you want 23 of him on the team, not the type you get rid of and complain about because he tries to fuc**** hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Muzzin tantrum was embarrassing and shouldn't have happened, but when you're telling arguably the best player on the team to cool it down, your team culture has some deep issues.

It makes sense that Tkachuk has looked out of sorts since then. He's basically trying to play a completely brand new game to make his teammates happy. Either that or he's basically giving them a big "f*** you".

Tkachuk has been the face of the Flames basically since he was drafted, and now fans are turning on him because of poor performance in a small timeframe.

Flames fans are always bitc**** and whining that the Flames can never acquire good players and that the Flames are too soft and don't try hard enough, and then when the Flames get the perfect player in Tkachuk, they find something else to bitc* and whine about because they got nothing better to do.

Tkachuk is the face of the Flames. At least until the Flames are somehow able to bring in a bonafide #1 star centre. He's the type of player in which you want 23 of him on the team, not the type you get rid of and complain about because he tries to fuc**** hard.
You are completely misstating what Gaudreau said about it.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #170
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You are completely misstating what Gaudreau said about it.
What Gaudreau said about it holds little-to-no weight. He's obviously going to give the sugar-coated response and play it down.

Elliott Friedman today: "Tkachuk feels some of the players don’t want him creating something every night and I think he’s confused by that. I think he knows how to play the game a certain way and that now he’s questioning it”

If there's one player that plays the right way, it's Matthew Tkachuk.

When you have the leadership group telling him to calm down because it "can't be a riot every night", your team has some major leadership issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #171
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What Gaudreau said about it holds little-to-no weight. He's obviously going to give the sugar-coated response and play it down.

Elliott Friedman today: "Tkachuk feels some of the players don’t want him creating something every night and I think he’s confused by that. I think he knows how to play the game a certain way and that now he’s questioning it”

If there's one player that plays the right way, it's Matthew Tkachuk.

When you have the leadership group telling him to calm down because it "can't be a riot every night", your team has some major leadership issues.
Or maybe Matthew has some maturity issues? Matty needs to lean some stuff. Pick your spots. Know when to play dirty and when to stir #### up. Know when to riot and know when to protest in silence. Know that when you do stupid #### you are asking your team mates to take a punch in the face for you. Your team mates are going to get tired of such behaviors if you ask them too often. Matthew has some growing up to do because what he does is a double edged sword. It fires up the opposition to make him look stupid, and it causes his own team to build "Tkachuk fatigue." The last thing we need is that fatigue building. I believe that is the message that was sent to him and now he's pouting.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #172
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Or maybe Matthew has some maturity issues? Matty needs to lean some stuff. Pick your spots. Know when to play dirty and when to stir #### up. Know when to riot and know when to protest in silence. Know that when you do stupid #### you are asking your team mates to take a punch in the face for you. Your team mates are going to get tired of such behaviors if you ask them too often. Matthew has some growing up to do because what he does is a double edged sword. It fires up the opposition to make him look stupid, and it causes his own team to build "Tkachuk fatigue." The last thing we need is that fatigue building. I believe that is the message that was sent to him and now he's pouting.
And if he is pouting then he is a part of the problem and can #### right off AFAIC.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #173
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames have any fatigue with the way they've been playing, that's yet another concern.

Like I said, what Tkachuk did with the Muzzin incident was dumb and embarrassing, but I'm sure he'll learn to not react in such a way from now on. But over the course of his career, he's been amazing at picking his spots.

There's a reason why he leads the league in drawn penalties since he entered the NHL. His style of play not only leads to possession domination for him, but also excellent defense, offense and the ability to put the Flames on a PP constantly while driving the opposition crazy.

When you have a player that excellent at his job on your team, you don't lecture him after one bad moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #174
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Players do get tired of their own teammates when they think the incidents are over dramatic or even fake. Claude Lemiuex’s team quit defending him after a while, and he was a hell of a competitor - just also a guy who overdid the agitator and the flopping. I wouldn’t have blamed Marchand’s teammates for saying “you licked that guy and I’m supposed to drop gloves for that”?

I’ ve never seen Tkachuk’s linemates not support him in a post-whistle scrum. And he’s typically playing with Lindholm and Dube who are not tough guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #175
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I don't believe the Muzzin incident is a factor....

Its an over blown/hyped up story, Tkachuk is in a slump.....

Not sure why the incident was dumb or embarrassing.

For sure, Tkachuk should have went after the player....

I assume its him hitting his stick on the wall when he left the ice?
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #176
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the players and coaches told Tkachuk to reign it in a bit, that is a joke in itself.

The guy draws way more penalties than he takes and leads the league in penalties drawn since he came into the show.

Has he made some questionable decisions that have lead to the odd suspension? Yes, absolutely but for god's sakes, take the bad with the good. This player has the ability to change games in other ways than just on the score sheet, let him play his game.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #177
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
And if he is pouting then he is a part of the problem and can #### right off AFAIC.
I disagree. Tkachuk should be a keeper, as is much of the team. Tkachuk's behavior is a coaching issue. If there was anything this visible on this team as a coaching issue, this is it. Tkachuk needs a sit down and a long conversation had so he understands how his behaviors affect both teams and the contract he has with his team mates. This is simple stuff and something the coaches should be doing. When the players are forced to have an intervention level meeting that means things are toxic and it is a result of the coaches not doing their jobs. Tkachuk is young and reachable, he just needs someone to work with him and help him understand when to pick his spots.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #178
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. Tkachuk should be a keeper, as is much of the team. Tkachuk's behavior is a coaching issue. If there was anything this visible on this team as a coaching issue, this is it. Tkachuk needs a sit down and a long conversation had so he understands how his behaviors affect both teams and the contract he has with his team mates. This is simple stuff and something the coaches should be doing. When the players are forced to have an intervention level meeting that means things are toxic and it is a result of the coaches not doing their jobs. Tkachuk is young and reachable, he just needs someone to work with him and help him understand when to pick his spots.
Agreed. It’s all blown out of proportion with the Muzzin thing. Tkachuk has to grow up but that’s generally on coaching to help with. The other guys on the team have to pick it up too. But as far as I see I really think there has to be a high scoring vet leader on the team. Gio was probably good one time but his play dropping off has potentially hurt his effectiveness as a leader. Guys like Tkachuk play hard but who can credibly sit him down when he goes overboard? Who can pull Gaudreau when he’s trying to deke four guys? There isn’t that outward scoring leader like Iginla at the moment and that seems to make this situation seem to spiral out of control. Coaching seems on the hot headed side at the moment so getting the staff to take this on is probably not going over well. We’re in a rut.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #179
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Guy comes into your building, beats you, then blatantly disrespects you after the game is done and fans here criticize Tkachuk for throwing a tantrum and pouting? You can’t be serious. And don’t give me this “Tkachuk does this all the time” crap either. I have not once seen Tkachuk do anything like that after a game, and especially not after he won a game.

Get real. Tkachuk reacted appropriately. What’s he supposed to do? Sit there and take it like a bitch? Give me a break with this “Tkachuk temper tantrum” nonsense. Some of you guys have a really poor perspective on these things. I fear our leadership shares this poor perspective.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #180
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont think he is Pouting. I think MT is amazing at being a 2nd line ##### disturber with linemates that clicked for his style of play - Especially Backlund who is a ##### disturber too.

When he was on his ELC his through the legs plays and dives were amusing. and when they backfired he was a fun, 2nd line rookie.

Now he is MT at 7 million and being the highest paid forward and expected to anchor the #1 line. He has been invisible - Mostly through injuries - in the playoffs outside of the first game of the series. He keeps trying through the legs plays that fails, and he poor skating (that was always there) and mediocre backchecking is now becoming a focal point for fans as he isnt scoring and doing the other good things he brings.

Now I have no doubt he is confused. He has played a certain way for 3 years and was loved for it. Now he's being asked to change how he plays and what has always been successful.

But this is the Flames way! The staff and identity of the team is always confusing.

When we were in 1st place and flying in 2019, leading the league in goals, did we celebrate the style that had made this work? No - We lamented that JG and Monny weren't playing a '2 way game' - Cause we blew some late leads. The coaching staff said "We need to play a better 2 way game" - And for the last 20 games we were very average and then got blown away by Colorado.

But the team was never built to play defensively. Their best chance was to run and gun. Maybe it wouldn't win the cup. Maybe is would completely fail, but you have to play that hand you are dealt. We try to make players into things they aren't.

The reality is MT has 11 points in 18 games as our highest paid forward. He needs to be better. He needs to be a leader. He needs to grow up. HOWEVER:

He is actually a micro-causim for everything the Flames are.

He has flaws in his game, and strengths. And as always the coaches, players, management, or someone, want to remove the strengths and turn him into something he isn't.

No different then wanting JG to stop turning it over when being our only creative player, or Monny to stop being a sniper and become a 2 way checking center, or our D to stop jumping into the play and play more physical when we have small puck moving defense

I have never seen a pro sports team constantly coach and preach for players to change their strength to attempt to cover a weakness, instead of leveraging and exploiting their stregths.

Play MT with Backlund and Mangiapane. Let them cause choas on the 2nd line. Let other lines HATE them.

Play to our players strengths for once.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:

Tags
matthew , tkachuk