Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #81
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I have no inside info, but I would bet that it may be Lucic instead of Gio. There were some rumblings that were mostly kept quiet that he alienated some of the Oilers younger players while he was here. Again just a guess, but putting some pieces going back to last year too.

Oh I can only imagine how much McAvi and Raisaitl loved Lucic’s stories about the 200 foot game that Bergeron and Krejci played and how they won fewer than 5 Stanley Cups.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #82
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Listening to Sarich on the fan, and he said something interesting. He said that maybe Tkachuk is tired of being the only one that is giving his all, that there are some players that pick and choose when they want to give a damn. I think this an interesting point, and something that I have been feeling myself.

It’s not like Tkachuk has had this zero-effort level the whole entire season thus far. It just started post Muzzin fiasco. Maybe Tkachuk is upset that he was the only one that was giving his all.
This has been my impression for a bit. If what Friedman insinuated was correct, imagine being one of the only ones to mix it up on a team of just too many disengaged players. Then having the Muzzin incident, no one comes in with you and then afterwards they chide you? Ok, he has to pull it back a bit, but pick your spots and have something to stand on, that's not the spot and too many of them don't.

I'm clearly not a pro hockey player, but as a human I'd be pretty strongly in "#### these guys" territory.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #83
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Listening to Sarich on the fan, and he said something interesting. He said that maybe Tkachuk is tired of being the only one that is giving his all, that there are some players that pick and choose when they want to give a damn. I think this an interesting point, and something that I have been feeling myself.

It’s not like Tkachuk has had this zero-effort level the whole entire season thus far. It just started post Muzzin fiasco. Maybe Tkachuk is upset that he was the only one that was giving his all.
Huh. Johnny appears to have been busting his ass all year. During play, I mean, not just after 60.

I wonder if any players are tired of Matthew Tkachuk being more noticeable some games after 60 minutes than during play, and then playing 4 games against Vancouver and not getting a point.

The way he is playing makes not only his 7 M now look like an overpayment , but his 9 M qualifier look even worse

He sure is having a rough year
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #84
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
Trade him to Ottawa for Tim Stützle and a 2nd.

The media and league love their brother combos.
not that I think it would actually happen but imagine the 5 games upcoming against the Sens lol

Would we hate Tkachuck like Oilers fans?

Last edited by dino7c; 02-18-2021 at 01:05 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #85
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To tell the truth, I wasn’t that happy with Tkachuk’s effort and play even before the Muzzin thing, even when he was getting points. Whereas I think other top line players have had a pretty consistent effort, with way less off games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #86
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
To tell the truth, I wasn’t that happy with Tkachuk’s effort and play even before the Muzzin thing, even when he was getting points. Whereas I think other top line players have had a pretty consistent effort, with way less off games.

There have been plenty of times Tkachuk carried the team on his back, even Ward was talking about this last season. We certainly have seen some of these other players picking and choosing which night to show up. Is Ward the type of coach to bring them together, the season may hinge on it.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This has been my impression for a bit. If what Friedman insinuated was correct, imagine being one of the only ones to mix it up on a team of just too many disengaged players. Then having the Muzzin incident, no one comes in with you and then afterwards they chide you? Ok, he has to pull it back a bit, but pick your spots and have something to stand on, that's not the spot and too many of them don't.

I'm clearly not a pro hockey player, but as a human I'd be pretty strongly in "#### these guys" territory.
These are my thoughts as well. But it is all speculation.

Here is what I do know: there is a problem. There appears to be a disconnect between some of the players. Whose fault is that? No idea.

But here's the thing for me: while it isn't Ward's fault that there is a problem, it is happening under Ward's watch. And ultimately, the team is his responsibility. But he has done nothing to help it. Bench Tkachuk. Or bench someone else. Or hash it out. Or take everyone out to get drunk and laugh it off. But FCS, DO SOMETHING!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #88
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Here is what I do know: there is a problem. There appears to be a disconnect between some of the players. Whose fault is that? No idea.

But here's the thing for me: while it isn't Ward's fault that there is a problem, it is happening under Ward's watch. And ultimately, the team is his responsibility. But he has done nothing to help it. Bench Tkachuk. Or bench someone else. Or hash it out. Or take everyone out to get drunk and laugh it off. But FCS, DO SOMETHING!
Whatever the problem with the team is I think it's a safe bet that Geoff Ward isn't going to be the one to fix it.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:15 PM   #89
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

To be fair, we don't know that Ward hasn't tried anything. 100% this needs to be rehashed, dealt with before it is too late. Don't want the guys giving an effort to get pissed and suddenly stop giving an effort.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #90
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any player that saw what happened to Tkachuk and thought he reacted inappropriately needs to be gone. You let a team come into your home building, beat you, then blatantly disrespect you after the final whistle and you think he should just sit back and take it? No wonder this team loses.

GTFO. Now.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #91
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
To be fair, we don't know that Ward hasn't tried anything. 100% this needs to be rehashed, dealt with before it is too late. Don't want the guys giving an effort to get pissed and suddenly stop giving an effort.
No, we don't know.

But the evidence suggests nothing has been done because these themes have continued every night since the Muzzin incident.

And if he HAS tried some things, they haven't worked. So try something else.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #92
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should try resigning.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #93
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Huh. Johnny appears to have been busting his ass all year. During play, I mean, not just after 60.

I wonder if any players are tired of Matthew Tkachuk being more noticeable some games after 60 minutes than during play, and then playing 4 games against Vancouver and not getting a point.

The way he is playing makes not only his 7 M now look like an overpayment , but his 9 M qualifier look even worse

I agree on Johnny. Also, Johnny and Tkachuk were together for answering media questions between the last two games.

When asked about his strong personal performance, Johnny expressed that he felt that he was not playing his best game and neither was anyone else on the team yet, besides Markstrom. Johnny, who has been busting his ass and leading production, emphasized that he can do better and that as a team they can all play better and need to.

When Tkachuk was asked to evaluate his performance since the Muzzin incident, he laughed it off a bit, deflected by saying the media is just stirring things up and pointed to how the team had won 4 of 5 games since then and said they were trending in the right direction.

Johnny came across as caring more about the team and performance. Tkachuk came across as a bit dismissive and arrogant. Personally, I think those attributes have been mirrored by on ice performances so far this season.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #94
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But in years past? It’s been all tkachuk.

Sarich was also referring to it cycling through. All players are doing it, at their own time. Picking and choosing effort will NOT win you games.

Good on Gaudreau for playing well this year. I think you, me, and all Flames fans expect him, Tkachuk, and all of our other core players to be playing 100% on any night we have a puck drop.

We’re on our 4th coach. The effort is STILL inconsistent. We’ve addressed needs all around. We have center depth, forward depth, defensive depth, an elite goaltender now. The effort isn’t there.

I’m not saying Tkachuk gets a pass, but like nik said, I’d be pretty livid myself if I just got a puck tossed at me and had no help from teammates. And to top it off, they tell him to stop agitating the other team, which is his bread and butter.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #95
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You don't TRADE a Matthew Tkachuk. You trade FOR a Matthew Tkachuk.

If this guy's unhappy for any reason, it's most likely an indication that something at the team/organization level needs to be addressed.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #96
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Backlund helped Tkachuk become the player everybody thinks Tkachuk is, let’s agree on that.

As for the Muzzin thing, he was in the corner after 60, some of his teammates had no way to see that and most were leaving the ice. Blatant disrespect by Muzzin for sure. Tkachuk took his couple of swings, most players didn’t see it. Nothing more was going to happen after the game was over. He can take a number, there are plenty of games against Toronto ahead, grow up and get over it until it’s time where he can do something about it.

Sure, you can be pissed off. You have to channel your energy to something productive. Let’s see how he plays against Toronto.

I’ve seen his pre playoff interviews, and I’ve seen his playoff play. The guy’s play when it matters has a long way to go before it catches up to his attitude.

He’s young, but he’s now experienced. Time to get serious and be a pro.

I’d like to see him show up every night. At least more often than not
Old 02-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #97
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

If this guy's unhappy for any reason, it's most likely an indication that something at the team/organization level needs to be addressed.
No doubt. This is all just speculation but if there's any truth to him being told to "tone it back and pick your spots" it's the ones telling him that that need to check their friggin pulse.

I mean sure, you do need to pick your spots and I haven't been impressed with Chuck's play this season but for the love of hockey stick up/play/fight for each other! Be mad about losing and stop with the complacent bs
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #98
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

So if Buffalo offered Eichel for Tkachuk + Ryan + 1st (I doubt this would be enough for Eichel), you wouldn't take it?

Tkachuk is great, but at the end of the day, he's a left wing.
And his play style gives him a ton of trade value. Like you said, he's the type of guy teams would love to trade for.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #99
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund helped Tkachuk become the player everybody thinks Tkachuk is, let’s agree on that.
No. Full stop.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #100
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So if Buffalo offered Eichel for Tkachuk + Ryan + 1st (I doubt this would be enough for Eichel), you wouldn't take it?

Tkachuk is great, but at the end of the day, he's a left wing.
And his play style gives him a ton of trade value. Like you said, he's the type of guy teams would love to trade for.
Obviously you trade Tkachuk if you get an upgrade. There aren’t very many players in the league that I’d trade Tkachuk for, but Eichel should make anyone’s list.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matthew , tkachuk