Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #201
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Well that settles it then.
Because non Flames fans really have unbiased opinions on what Tkachuk does.
Actually, probably yes. Who’s more biased about, say, McDavid? Edmonton fans or everyone else?

Here’s news: There are hockey fans who neither hate Calgary nor love them, and I’d say they would be pretty unbiased about individual Flames.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #202
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, the more I watch this, the more I have zero issues with the response from Tkachuk. I can't honestly even believe this is still being discussed, what a non issue.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #203
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Actually, probably yes. Who’s more biased about, say, McDavid? Edmonton fans or everyone else?

Here’s news: There are hockey fans who neither hate Calgary nor love them, and I’d say they would be pretty unbiased about individual Flames.
I'm sure they're all unbiased about the guy who has made a young career of being a pest to almost every other team.

Why, that's why every ATL for the last 3 years has been filled with questions like "who is this young 'Tkachuk' man?" and "I see Tkachuk is mucking it up, does he do this often?"

Asking what other fanbases think about Tkachuk is like asking us what we think about McDavid.

You think people outside of their homebases had unbiased takes about guys like Marchand, Gallagher, or Perry when they were primarily pests? Avery? No? Ok.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #204
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Huh? Who’s running him out of town? He went overboard. Nothing more, nothing less. The team needs to meet in the middle. Can’t have guys going nuts and dramatic, and you also have have guys sitting on their butts..

Not sure why its overboard, Flames need to get involved into more not less....

Only thing he should of done differently is leaving the ice and going to dressing room without smashing his stick against the wall

Tkachuk is the player that drives this team, if they try to harness his emotion that's a huge mistake.

They don't need to meet in the middle, Tkachuk needs to play his style and his game.

He draws a tone of penalties
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #205
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm sure they're all unbiased about the guy who has made a young career of being a pest to almost every other team.

Why, that's why every ATL for the last 3 years has been filled with questions like "who is this young 'Tkachuk' man?" and "I see Tkachuk is mucking it up, does he do this often?"

Asking what other fanbases think about Tkachuk is like asking us what we think about McDavid.

You think people outside of their homebases had unbiased takes about guys like Marchand, Gallagher, or Perry when they were primarily pests? Avery? No? Ok.
Do you think they are LESS biased than Flames fans though. I’m not talking rival fans. I don’t Joe Blow in NYC really thinks too hard about how much he hates Tkachuk. Leafs fans watching that game - sure.

Do you think fans outside Boston were being biased against Marchand during the licking nonsense?
Old 02-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #206
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

Only thing he should of done differently is leaving the ice and going to dressing room without smashing his stick against the wall

Tkachuk is the player that drives this team, if they try to harness his emotion that's a huge mistake.

They don't need to meet in the middle, Tkachuk needs to play his style and his game.

A. “Should have”
B. The other thing he shouldn’t have done was accuse his team of not having his back under those circumstances.

I don’t think anyone said “don’t play your game”. They were defending themselves when he complained about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #207
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree. I think the temper tantrum afterwards was the overboard part. The part about the flip was silly. He couldn’t have thought in that second his on ice teammates weren’t scrappers. He lost it. All I’m saying his with him he has to pick and choose his moments. In recent years Marchand has been just as effective toning it down and maybe has had more respect with teammates. There are moments when Lucic and whomever will have to fight for tkachuk, and that comes with the territory. Do it too often (which hasn’t been the case to be clear) and he’ll be a guy teammates won’t stick up for. I think that’s more than fair. Know when to push the boundaries.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #208
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I think the temper tantrum afterwards was the overboard part. The part about the flip was silly. He couldn’t have thought in that second his on ice teammates weren’t scrappers. He lost it. All I’m saying his with him he has to pick and choose his moments. In recent years Marchand has been just as effective toning it down and maybe has had more respect with teammates. There are moments when Lucic and whomever will have to fight for tkachuk, and that comes with the territory. Do it too often (which hasn’t been the case to be clear) and he’ll be a guy teammates won’t stick up for. I think that’s more than fair. Know when to push the boundaries.
If Lucic had been on at that moment something might have happened, or maybe the puck flip doesn’t happen at all.

No one seems to want to start big scrums when Lucic is on. He doesn’t chase guys down to fight any more, but he certainly gets a lot of room after the whistle. I suspect he’d be a lot busier if he was on Tkachuk’s line. Both seem to be tied to LW though.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #209
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I think the temper tantrum afterwards was the overboard part. The part about the flip was silly. He couldn’t have thought in that second his on ice teammates weren’t scrappers. He lost it. All I’m saying his with him he has to pick and choose his moments. In recent years Marchand has been just as effective toning it down and maybe has had more respect with teammates.

There are moments when Lucic and whomever will have to fight for tkachuk, and that comes with the territory. Do it too often (which hasn’t been the case to be clear) and he’ll be a guy teammates won’t stick up for. I think that’s more than fair. Know when to push the boundaries.
When there are scrums, Flames players have to get involved..

he needs to pick his spots for sure.....

I don't recall anyone fighting for Tkachuk? When he over steps he has accepted his role and fought the player (i.e. Kassian or Doughty incidents)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #210
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When there are scrums, Flames players have to get involved..

he needs to pick his spots for sure.....

I don't recall anyone fighting for Tkachuk? When he over steps he has accepted his role and fought the player (i.e. Kassian or Doughty incidents)
Rinaldo wanted to but no one would do it.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #211
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think they are LESS biased than Flames fans though. I’m not talking rival fans. I don’t Joe Blow in NYC really thinks too hard about how much he hates Tkachuk. Leafs fans watching that game - sure.

Do you think fans outside Boston were being biased against Marchand during the licking nonsense?
Sure, but I also can't really imagine someone watching that who didn't feel one way or another about Tkachuk finding it "highly amusing."

Just trying to put myself out of the situation completely, if this was an interaction between Foegele and Lammikko in a Hurricanes/Panthers game, I don't know if would give the situation enough care to even be amused by it. Guy flips a puck at another guy who then starts a little scuffle and is angry about it. Highly amusing? Ehhhhh
Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but I also can't really imagine someone watching that who didn't feel one way or another about Tkachuk finding it "highly amusing."

Just trying to put myself out of the situation completely, if this was an interaction between Foegele and Lammikko in a Hurricanes/Panthers game, I don't know if would give the situation enough care to even be amused by it. Guy flips a puck at another guy who then starts a little scuffle and is angry about it. Highly amusing? Ehhhhh
Watch the video.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #213
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big part of Tkachuk’s game is doing borderline stuff - taunts, jabs, sneers - that wind up opposing players and take them off their game. He’s really smart about it and really good at it.

But that effectiveness is undermined if the rest of the league realizes Tkachuk himself can be taunted and goaded into losing his cool and running around too. Tkachuk will be a worse Tkachuk if he shows he can be Tkachuked.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #214
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A big part of Tkachuk’s game is doing borderline stuff - taunts, jabs, sneers - that wind up opposing players and take them off their game. He’s really smart about it and really good at it.

But that effectiveness is undermined if the rest of the league realizes Tkachuk himself can be taunted and goaded into losing his cool and and running around too. Tkachuk will be a worse Tkachuk if he shows he can be Tkachuked.
Not sure, he continues to draw a high amount of penalties

Incident in reference occurred at the end of the game
Old 02-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure, he continues to draw a high amount of penalties

Incident in reference occurred at the end of the game
He draws penalties through game play. I don’t think he draws as many after the whistle.

I don’t mind him being the same pest as always. But I do mind it if it gets into his head and not the other team’s.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #216
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk's "immaturity" or whatever also creates a lot of powerplays for the Flames.

Oh, I'm sorry, he's causing them "fatigue."

The chances on the powerplay should more than make up for having to enter a scrum.

Aside from that, it's not like most of the roster is doing anything else with all that energy that want to save. So who knows, maybe just buck up, let the kid play his game, and do your job?

If (and it's a big if) any players wanted Tkachuk to cool it because it was making it harder to focus on their game, fine. But now Tkachuk is considerably "cooled," so where are these guys? If you don't want Tkachuk bringing his game, you better bring yours to make up for it, and I'm not really seeing it from anyone.
This is so accurate thank you.

If Tkachuks teammates want to basically neuter their best weapon, biggest driver of power play time, and really only player that engages the opponent regularly then that speaks volumes about the level of compete in the locker room.

I’m still in somewhat disbelief this even happened. What a bunch of pathetic losers in that locker room.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #217
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Watch the video.
Go watch his other videos, part of his schtick is "hockey breakdowns" where he adds funny commentary to fights. The guy doesn't even watch hockey.

If your point was that non-hockey fans who find all hockey fights/scrums amusing also found this amusing... sure... why wouldn't they?

Outside of that, I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find an unbiased hockey fan who not only doesn't have any opinion on Tkachuk but also found this situation uniquely amusing.

If you go through the list of Jomboy's videos and can point to any from non-rival teams where you think "I watched the actual highlight of this and was highly amused!" you're probably extremely unique.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #218
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go watch his other videos, part of his schtick is "hockey breakdowns" where he adds funny commentary to fights. The guy doesn't even watch hockey.

If your point was that non-hockey fans who find all hockey fights/scrums amusing also found this amusing... sure... why wouldn't they?

Outside of that, I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find an unbiased hockey fan who not only doesn't have any opinion on Tkachuk but also found this situation uniquely amusing.

If you go through the list of Jomboy's videos and can point to any from non-rival teams where you think "I watched the actual highlight of this and was highly amused!" you're probably extremely unique.
I’m obviously not saying people were looking for it, but yeah if I see a guy trying to be mad, and failing that badly, it’s funny, just like if your sub was yelling at the class and tried to kick the garbage can but missed.

So, fine, take out “highly”.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #219
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The on bench stuff was Gulutzan stick toss level guys, I don’t know how anybody didn’t crack a smile over that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #220
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put Tkachuk with Backlund and he will be fine. Keep Johnny with Monahan. If you must have Lindholm as a center move him to the third line with Lucic. Watch Tkachuk and Backlund become half a point a game or more players during 5 on 5 play again. Have two 5 on 5 scoring lines again.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matthew , tkachuk