Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #501
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
Would anyone recommend Tent Ridge in K-Country?

I wouldn't but it depends on what you want to do. I highly recommend the area. But whenever I do Tent Ridge I always wish I was down at some of the beautiful lakes in the area instead. I'd do Birdwood lake if you're up for a longer walk. Or Tryst lake if you want a shorter one. Rummel lake is gorgeous. Tent Ridge is neat but not my fav. Book dinner at Engadine after your hike. It's an awesome end to the day.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 AM   #502
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any recommendations for winter hikes or snowshoeing?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #503
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just booked my Bowron Lakes trek for next summer. Has anyone done it here? Any insight on campsites or things would be much appreciated. Time to practice my canoe stroke in the bath tub all winter
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #504
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Any recommendations for winter hikes or snowshoeing?
How experienced are you? How far away from Calgary and how long of hike ?

There are two main risks when winter hiking Avalanche and hypothermia. So either you need to understand how not to get into avalanche terrain or stick to well marked trails. For hypothermia think about what would happen if you broke an ankle or sprained a knee and how you would stay warm and get help.

Assuming you are a relatively new winter hiker and want relatively easy hikes in the 3-4 hr range within 2hrs of Calgary

Chester Lakes - 10kish round trip 300m or so elevation, this is packed down enough that you don’t need snow shoes on the main trail but around the lake it gets deep fast. Lots of people around on the hike and no avalanche risk until you get to the lake. At the lake there are some avalanche slopes on the south side (I think) that you want to stay away from. The meadow before the lake is a great place to play in the snow and you sink 3ft in even with snow shoes.

Across the parking lot is the Burstsll pass trailhead. In the winter snowshoeing out to the first two lakes is a fairly easy snowshoe less busy than Chester but still people around if you were to get hurt.

If you want a hike Prarie Mountain is always able to be hiked. Just stay well back of the edge at the top as a cornice forms during the winter. It requires ice cleats to do in the winter as it is steep and slippery.

Any lake can be turned into a good snowshoe once the ice is thick enough

Beginners guide to snowshoeing in the Canadian Rockies by Nugera has lots of great low to no avalanche trips. If you want more advanced winter peak bagging his Snowshoes in the Canadian Rockies is the Kane Scambles of winter snowshoes.

Last edited by GGG; 11-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #505
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How experienced are you? How far away from Calgary and how long of hike ?

There are two main risks when winter hiking Avalanche and hypothermia. So either you need to understand how not to get into avalanche terrain or stick to well marked trails. For hypothermia think about what would happen if you broke an ankle or sprained a knee and how you would stay warm and get help.

Assuming you are a relatively new winter hiker and want relatively easy hikes in the 3-4 hr range within 2hrs of Calgary

Chester Lakes - 10kish round trip 300m or so elevation, this is packed down enough that you don’t need snow shoes on the main trail but around the lake it gets deep fast. Lots of people around on the hike and no avalanche risk until you get to the lake. At the lake there are some avalanche slopes on the south side (I think) that you want to stay away from. The meadow before the lake is a great place to play in the snow and you sink 3ft in even with snow shoes.

Across the parking lot is the Burstsll pass trailhead. In the winter snowshoeing out to the first two lakes is a fairly easy snowshoe less busy than Chester but still people around if you were to get hurt.

If you want a hike Prarie Mountain is always able to be hiked. Just stay well back of the edge at the top as a cornice forms during the winter. It requires ice cleats to do in the winter as it is steep and slippery.

Any lake can be turned into a good snowshoe once the ice is thick enough

Beginners guide to snowshoeing in the Canadian Rockies by Nugera has lots of great low to no avalanche trips. If you want more advanced winter peak bagging his Snowshoes in the Canadian Rockies is the Kane Scambles of winter snowshoes.
I've hiked Chester (easy for me) during the regular season so it will be nice to see it during this time of year. Burstall, Rummel, Rawson, Prairie and Read's Tower are also on my list.

I'll definitely check out that book. Thanks!
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #506
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking for a recommendation for some hiking boots from MEC, since I have a gift card there.

I currently have a pair of Merrells which I find quite comfortable and don't really have any issues with. Last year I did a 3 day, 53 km hike with about 45-50 lbs on my back and my only complaint was the blister on the side of my big toe that developed on the third day but as far as the rest of my feet they felt good. This coming summer we're planning on hiking in Norway as well as a few multi day hikes here on the east coast.

I've heard good things about Scarpa boots and am considering a pair but they are leather and I question if that would be a wise move given how humid it gets here in the east. I think it might be too much of a sauna in my boots and strange things might start growing in there given our humid conditions. Perhaps I'd be better off with something more breathable or maybe leather hiking boots aren't an issue in humidity???

Here's the men's hiking boots at MEC. I have a $200 gift certificate to put towards them so would like to stay under $300 so I don't have to pay too much out of pocket.

https://www.mec.ca/en/gender/men%27s...=100-1184-1189

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #507
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I love Vasque boots. I know there are other, potentially better, brands out there but I’ve gone with Vasque for my last 3-4 pairs and they’re just so great.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #508
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pair of Vasque hiking shoes, they are pretty heavy, I find. They are a few years old though. I still like them despite the weight.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #509
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

My last two pair of boots were Raichle something-or-other, which were re-branded to Mammut around the time I bought my current pair. Absolutely love them. The first time I bought them, three other people I worked with went to MEC separately and came back with the same pair of boots without having discussed it at all. Can't speak to any of the competing brands, as I haven't needed to try anything else since.

Looking at the pictures, I think the Mammut Trovat High GTX are the current iteration of the same boot.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #510
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hello,
Looking for some honest advice here. In 7 weeks I will be in Panama with a friend, who is an experienced hiker (day trip type stuff). I am very much not...I generally would rather so almost anything but walk for hours on end. I’m not in bad shape, but if I’m honest I’ve been pretty hard on my body the last year or two.

She wants to hike the Baru volcano, which is about 10 hours round trip, starting at midnight. As someone who doesn’t hike (I mean I’ve walked in the mountains and push my MTB around sometimes), is there any way I could prep to do this hike by then? Or would it be fairer to just have to say no.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #511
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts about the MEC brand tents? I have heard of some issues in quality between the Chinese made ones vs the Vietnamese ones. Was kind of tossing around between the MEC Wanderer 2 and the MEC Camper 2. I would like to try some more backcountry camping this summer, and might also entertain taking them to Iceland this summer.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #512
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Hello,
Looking for some honest advice here. In 7 weeks I will be in Panama with a friend, who is an experienced hiker (day trip type stuff). I am very much not...I generally would rather so almost anything but walk for hours on end. I’m not in bad shape, but if I’m honest I’ve been pretty hard on my body the last year or two.

She wants to hike the Baru volcano, which is about 10 hours round trip, starting at midnight. As someone who doesn’t hike (I mean I’ve walked in the mountains and push my MTB around sometimes), is there any way I could prep to do this hike by then? Or would it be fairer to just have to say no.

What are your concerns besides not liking walking? Sounds like it would be an amazing experience. Are there any time constraints that would prevent you from taking breaks (or pretend to want to take photos and selfies). Maybe you can rent a mountain bike at the top to go down on. That would be fun.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #513
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hello,

A ten hour hike if you’re really not used to it sounds like it might ruin the rest of your vacation. I don’t know that hike in particular, but if you haven’t done much of anything for a few years, that’s going to be a painful morning after I think!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #514
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What are your concerns besides not liking walking? Sounds like it would be an amazing experience. Are there any time constraints that would prevent you from taking breaks (or pretend to want to take photos and selfies). Maybe you can rent a mountain bike at the top to go down on. That would be fun.
My primary concern is being the one who can’t carry on, or becoming a burden to the rest. Afterwards I hope to get to Bocas and do a whole lot of nothing for a few days.
I’ll have to start training pretty quick if I hope to be able to move afterwards.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #515
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My primary concern is being the one who can’t carry on, or becoming a burden to the rest. Afterwards I hope to get to Bocas and do a whole lot of nothing for a few days.

I’ll have to start training pretty quick if I hope to be able to move afterwards.

How much time is being allocated to getting to the top vs. getting back down. That would give you some idea of their desired pace. 27 km over 6 hours would only be 4.5 kph pace uphill.. What walking speed are you comfortable with and could do indefinitely?

It’s kinda close to two trips up Sulphur Mtn. Have you gone up there? How long did it take? I don’t know if there is anything outdoors you can do to prepare right now, unless you like snowshoeing.

You can probably do it, and if you don’t have plans for the next couple of days afterwards, you don’t have much to lose.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #516
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve done some preliminary research, and it’s anout 6 up and 4 down depending on pace. I’m actually less worried a about it now, as it sounds like it is along an access road for the most part. If a rugged 4x4 can make it, I can walk it. Some of the reviews suggest it’s for ‘professional’ hikers, but sometimes I feel like descriptions like that assume most people are quite out of shape.
I think it’ll be okay, sounds pretty safe and nothing requiring a tremendous amount of skill as I initially feared.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #517
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
My last two pair of boots were Raichle something-or-other, which were re-branded to Mammut around the time I bought my current pair. Absolutely love them. The first time I bought them, three other people I worked with went to MEC separately and came back with the same pair of boots without having discussed it at all. Can't speak to any of the competing brands, as I haven't needed to try anything else since.

Looking at the pictures, I think the Mammut Trovat High GTX are the current iteration of the same boot.
Man, I still have two pairs of Raichle's from the early-mid 2000s I bought from MEC for work. Those boots did two summers bushwhacking 6 days a week, and have been with me all over Canada and the Western US (and Norway as a matter of coincidence) in some really rugged country. Great, comfy and utterly reliable boots. If I could grab another pair I'm convinced I'd have hiking boots for the rest of my life, as is the two pair I have may outlast me. Maybe breathability of a full leather hiker is less than perfect compared to the technical fabrics in a lot of boots today, but it never bothered me. Would definitely suggest looking at those Mammut's you mentioned if they've retained the DNA of the old Raichle boots.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #518
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I'm looking for a recommendation for some hiking boots from MEC, since I have a gift card there.

I currently have a pair of Merrells which I find quite comfortable and don't really have any issues with. Last year I did a 3 day, 53 km hike with about 45-50 lbs on my back and my only complaint was the blister on the side of my big toe that developed on the third day but as far as the rest of my feet they felt good. This coming summer we're planning on hiking in Norway as well as a few multi day hikes here on the east coast.

I've heard good things about Scarpa boots and am considering a pair but they are leather and I question if that would be a wise move given how humid it gets here in the east. I think it might be too much of a sauna in my boots and strange things might start growing in there given our humid conditions. Perhaps I'd be better off with something more breathable or maybe leather hiking boots aren't an issue in humidity???

Here's the men's hiking boots at MEC. I have a $200 gift certificate to put towards them so would like to stay under $300 so I don't have to pay too much out of pocket.

https://www.mec.ca/en/gender/men%27s...=100-1184-1189
I'd head down in person, see what the boot people say will work with your feel, and then try them on. There really shouldn't be fundamental issues with the brands they carry, and then it comes down to fit and feel.

I'm currently using some Salomons (quest 4d) but also picked up another pair of the Lowa Zephyr since I loved my last ones.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #519
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Was kind of tossing around between the MEC Wanderer 2 and the MEC Camper 2.
If you think you'll actually use said tent, I'd look at the MSR Hubba Hubba or possibly Elixer.

The Wanderer is not a backpacking tent, the thing weighs almost 9 pounds.

For reference:
Wanderer : 3.89 kg
Elixer 2.77 kg
Camper: 2.38 kg
Hubba Hubba : 1.76kg

I use the Elixer for car camping and the Hubba Hubba for backpacking. You can't beat it. Light as a tent gets and only a single pole setup. The whole thing is done before I can crack a beer. From my experience you can't beat the build quality of the MSRs.

Not tents specifically, but I've found the MEC in-house brand to be getting quite poor in recent years.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-28-2019 at 07:26 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #520
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
If you think you'll actually use said tent, I'd look at the MSR Hubba Hubba or possibly Elixer.

The Wanderer is not a backpacking tent, the thing weighs almost 9 pounds.

For reference:
Wanderer : 3.89 kg
Elixer 2.77 kg
Camper: 2.38 kg
Hubba Hubba : 1.76kg

I use the Elixer for car camping and the Hubba Hubba for backpacking. You can't beat it. Light as a tent gets and only a single pole setup. The whole thing is done before I can crack a beer. From my experience you can't beat the build quality of the MSRs.

Not tents specifically, but I've found the MEC in-house brand to be getting quite poor in recent years.

Oh yeah. I must have misread the weight for the Wanderer 2. I thought it was 2.89kg. That is on the heavy side. I only ruled out the Hubba Hubba because of cost vs benefits of the other tents. I was hoping to get 2 of them so we have more flexibility when camping as a family or going out alone. I saw somebody selling a Nook 2 on Kijiji for pretty cheap though. Is that a predecessor of the Hubba Hubba?

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness