Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #41
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like Francis is getting better at asking Darryl the right questions to draw out meaningful responses. He doesn't do that thing (as much) anymore where he tries to put words in Sutter's mouth and gets cut off immediately.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #42
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I'm for a European background so I'm more used to the DD.MM.YY, but to each their own.
Even from a sorting perspective, it just makes sense to sort by year, then by month, then by date.

Sorting by date, then by month, then by year sounds silly

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
That's probably true. I never watched Kent Nilsson play, but him and Gaudreau are the only two I can think of in the same conversation. Savard was a great passer too but he didn't hit that level until after he was traded.
Chouinard was a better passer than Nilsson back on the original team, but Nilsson was a better all around offensive player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #44
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't speak to the players from the mid 90's and 80's, but best passers that come to mind are Tanguay, Savard, Huselius, and Gaudreau. I think Huberdeau is easily better than all of those guys.

Tanguay might be 2 actually, but he seemed to struggle with his confidence.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #45
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I can't speak to the players from the mid 90's and 80's, but best passers that come to mind are Tanguay, Savard, Huselius, and Gaudreau. I think Huberdeau is easily better than all of those guys.

Tanguay might be 2 actually, but he seemed to struggle with his confidence.
Tanguay and Makarov first couple that come to mind to me, 90s and beyond
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #46
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Even from a sorting perspective, it just makes sense to sort by year, then by month, then by date.

When saving files, it is a lifesaver to use YYYY-MM-DD.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #47
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
I feel like Francis is getting better at asking Darryl the right questions to draw out meaningful responses. He doesn't do that thing (as much) anymore where he tries to put words in Sutter's mouth and gets cut off immediately.
Agreed. The rest of the guys are catching on as well, with the exception of Valji. And it’s helping with the quality of the pressers. A pleasure to listen to Sutter answer meaningful questions.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #48
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Loved hearing Sutter talk about being ready for Huberdeau's passes. Not just ready to receive them, but ready and positioned to continue the play. He was saying Huberdeau doesn't just put the puck into an area, but puts it exactly where it needs to be shot from... and players need to be ready for that.

I've said this quite a bit, but there's a certain skill set that allows a player to play with elite players. Conroy on his own wasn't elite, but he had that ability to play with elite players and continue the play without letting things die on his stick. Same with Brendan Morrow, and many others like them. Kevin Stevens used to get 40 a year just by being in the right spot for Lemieux to bounce the puck in off him.

That's what I love about Lindholm. He's an elite player who can also play with other elite players. Same with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. I think that's what made them an almost perfect line. It's like all three of them have both sides of the hockey brain. The side that's concerned with what they're doing, but also the side that's aware of what their linemates are doing.

Anyway, you don't have to be elite to play in the third spot on the top line. You just have to be someone who can keep the play going. Even if you yourself can't start it or finish it, as long as you can at least not kill it, that's a valuable skill to have.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Toffoli has shown in the past that he knows how to get to open areas, and that he can bury it when given the chance.

All he needs to do is learn how to react to Huberdeau, and just focus on that. Because Lindholm is extremely cerebral and can do the heavy lifting for the line.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #50
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Loved hearing Sutter talk about being ready for Huberdeau's passes. Not just ready to receive them, but ready and positioned to continue the play. He was saying Huberdeau doesn't just put the puck into an area, but puts it exactly where it needs to be shot from... and players need to be ready for that.

I've said this quite a bit, but there's a certain skill set that allows a player to play with elite players. Conroy on his own wasn't elite, but he had that ability to play with elite players and continue the play without letting things die on his stick. Same with Brendan Morrow, and many others like them. Kevin Stevens used to get 40 a year just by being in the right spot for Lemieux to bounce the puck in off him.

That's what I love about Lindholm. He's an elite player who can also play with other elite players. Same with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. I think that's what made them an almost perfect line. It's like all three of them have both sides of the hockey brain. The side that's concerned with what they're doing, but also the side that's aware of what their linemates are doing.

Anyway, you don't have to be elite to play in the third spot on the top line. You just have to be someone who can keep the play going. Even if you yourself can't start it or finish it, as long as you can at least not kill it, that's a valuable skill to have.
So you're saying Bennett actually has a little bit of hockey IQ?
Old 10-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #51
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I would like to see the Flames win.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #52
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #53
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kraken have been preseason champions, but hoping for a Flames win on my bday. Kadri with 3 or 4 points tonight.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #54
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm - surelossed

Last edited by calumniate; 10-03-2022 at 05:10 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:52 PM   #55
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was hoping Milano would work out and add some offense and be that missing piece in the top 9, obviously not going that well. And he would add mike commodore-esque hair. I haven't watched enough pre-season to know, but has he actually been given a chance with NHL'ers? Sure it'd be ideal if he played with AHL linemates and was noticeable, but just because a player can't carry his line doesn't mean he wouldn't fit and have chemistry with skilled players. What is he expected to show on a line with Brett Ritchie?
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

It’s the title of a YouTube video. They aren’t sorting excel sheets on a desktop.

Day.month.year is the correct format.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #57
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

The federal gvt at one point tried to standardize the format, declaring that y/m/d would be the standard. Nobody paid any attention though and continued to do what they wanted.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #58
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov crushes Bjorkstrand on his first shift
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #59
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spike Lee?
Old 10-03-2022, 07:19 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I've been at three different jobs in 2022, each one had the 3 different date writing preferences. 1 was y/m/d, 2 was d/m/y and 3 was m/d/y .

Thank God nobodys dumb enough to put year in the middle.