Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #2561
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This vs. latest console generation is pretty much the pricing consideration. However with the initial pricing and the core count vs. the product level presentation, 4080 12gb should be a 70 class card but they are charging 80ti plus prices.

also 12VHPWR connectors on PCIE5.0 ready psu's.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #2562
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah will be interesting to see the actual performance numbers to compare say a 3090 or 3090 Ti with a 4080 16GB.

Ultimately I just want reasonable framerates in 4K gaming without having to degrade my settings.. I've been able to do that with my 2080 in 1440 until pretty recently..

Depends on what the prices are for 3090's are I guess too.. if a 4080 and whatever 3090 gives similar game performance at 4K are within a few hundred of each other I'd probably go with 4080.

Remember when the non-Titan top tier was about $600?

It's like they shuffle up the pricing tiers one tier with each generation too.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #2563
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah will be interesting to see the actual performance numbers to compare say a 3090 or 3090 Ti with a 4080 16GB.

Ultimately I just want reasonable framerates in 4K gaming without having to degrade my settings.. I've been able to do that with my 2080 in 1440 until pretty recently..
I'm interested in this too. I have a 3080Ti and run @ 4K and, for the most part, I can turn everything to "ultra" and still get 60 FPS at that resolution - but there's not a lot of head room. There are a few games that I need DLSS (quality) enabled...especially ray traced games.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #2564
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
This vs. latest console generation is pretty much the pricing consideration.
I'm not sure that comparison works. The current console generation is well below the good 3000 series cards - It's basically a Ryzen 3700x with a 5700xt. Based on benchmarks you can just search for on google, a 3080 is more than double the effective speed of that system. Since AAA game developers are going to be basing what they release on the capabilities of the current consoles at this point, if you just want to play those games at higher graphics settings and framerates, you might not need a 4000 series card to do it. If you want to PC game on your OLED in 4k 120 native with everything on ultra, though, maybe you're a 4090 customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm interested in this too. I have a 3080Ti and run @ 4K and, for the most part, I can turn everything to "ultra" and still get 60 FPS at that resolution - but there's not a lot of head room. There are a few games that I need DLSS (quality) enabled...especially ray traced games.
I'm exactly the same with my non-Ti 3080 but I pretty much always use DLSS quality. Can't really tell the difference and it makes it pretty straightforward to hit 60 frames in 4k, which I've been enjoying quite a bit even on my not-great-quality 43" 4k LG monitor.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:45 PM   #2565
photon

Exp:

AMD is going to announce 7000 series stuff November 3.. that's a pretty big gap, if they had something that was really going to go up against nvidia you'd think they'd announce it as soon as possible.. though I guess if they don't have anything to compete with a 4090 waiting for the 4080 timeframe makes sense.

Hard to think they'd have anything that will compete with DLSS 3.0 though, really interested to see how that reviews.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #2566
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Depends on what the prices are for 3090's are I guess too.. if a 4080 and whatever 3090 gives similar game performance at 4K are within a few hundred of each other I'd probably go with 4080.

Remember when the non-Titan top tier was about $600?

It's like they shuffle up the pricing tiers one tier with each generation too.

Don't forget the power supply upgrade needed 1000 watt recommended and 5.0 pcie cables
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #2567
photon

Exp:

Fortunately I'm covered there.

I wonder if the prices would have been like this if they didn't have a huge inventory of 3000 series to try and sell off.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #2568
photon

Exp:

Looking at this graph...

https://i.imgur.com/Vf8q5nP.png

The older games seem like they'd be closer to representing non ray-tracing non-DLSS performance.. If the 4070 4080 12GB is about the same as a 3090 Ti that's pretty great.. or would be if the prices weren't crazy.

Now next gen means same performance per price, you just get more performance if you pay more.

Has there ever been a generation where the top end card was the best in terms of price/performance ratio?! That might turn out the case here. Madness.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #2569
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I won’t be buying an Nvidia card for the foreseeable future if I can help it. Between EVGA parting ways and the price gouging they aren’t a business I want to support. I also don’t like how the 4080 12GB has fewer Cuda cores. You’d assume it would have the same as the 16GB. It should be called the 4070.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #2570
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

and for those who will eventually take the plunge, get ready for quadruple or quintiple slot coolers and GPU bracing stands.

and those of you who think you're already future proof with those 1000+watt psu's:

slagged molex connectors were no fun when I saw them 15 years ago.

Last edited by Cliche; 09-23-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #2571
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fortunately I'm covered there.

I wonder if the prices would have been like this if they didn't have a huge inventory of 3000 series to try and sell off.
Turns out you need a atx 3 power supply for 4000 series. Because the power supply needs to communicate with the cards via 4 data pins.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #2572
photon

Exp:

You don't need it, it'll still work, it's just safer if you have one if your power supply is borderline.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:58 PM   #2573
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea it sounds like my 1000w will be fine, I'm not getting a 4090 anyways. If DLSS 3.0 worked with the 30 series cards I would probably just grab one of those but I'll probably just wait for like a 4070 or something at this point. My 1080 is still a good card, don't need to be in a rush.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #2574
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is more why you don't buy scrub tier PSUs with 18AWG PCIe cables and connectors that fall apart if you sneeze on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #2575
photon

Exp:

AMD 7000 series CPU reviews this morning, looks cool (and runs hot) and retakes the crown for now (especially if you consider power draw) but Intel's next gen is coming soon too.

Of course der8auer went straight for the delid.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #2576
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Alienware Oled finally came last week after almost a year of waiting to get it.

Man is oled a game changer. I thought going back to 34inch vs my Alienware 38 inch would bug me losing horizontal space. It turns out it was very easy to adjust and my FPS went up of coarse. My 3090 strix actually dropped 7 to 10 degrees depending on the game . Super happy I pulled the trigger when it dropped. The wait was well worth it. The 38 was a nice moniter but I hated some of the it's glow in certain scenes and I often play in a dark room.

Luckily none of these things I notice bugs my wife so she's super happy for upgrade since she has a hybrid home /work schedule . She also love how emerssive her games are now.

I also pulled the trigger for a 3080 12gb strix card to replace the Aorus xtreme 3080 rev 1.0 card. In the wife's system. The aorus is noisy, run pretty hot by comparison like 85c the software dosen't recognize it (typical gigabyte bull####) and the card being 1.0 rev any time it substains anything close to 1980mz it will crash. Even with new bios It was between a the strix or tuf 3080ti. I couldn't really justify the tuf 3080ti as is on average is only 10% better for 300 bucks more . I think the extra 2gb will be worth it on a card that runs very cool
Old 10-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #2577
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of good PSUs, Seasonic is offering free official 12VHPWR converters for their 1000w and 1300w model Gold/Platinum/Titanium PSUs.

To claim it you need to show proof of purchase of both a 4xxx card and the Seasonic PSU, and it's not claimable til the 12th (4090 release). Hopefully both arrive at the same time.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/p...psu-customers/

In other news, I completed my upgrade to a 7950x today with some 6200 Dominator Platinums. Excited to run benchmarks all night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-05-2022 at 04:00 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #2578
photon

Exp:

Do you have a 4090 on order from somewhere?

I just looked and saw they're listed on MemEx's site, $2200 to $2800... ouch. Though the $1600USD MSRP is almost $2200 CAD so I guess..

3090's are listed for $1100+ on Facebook.. I still think I'd rather get a 4080 at $1600CAD (if that's what they come in at about) assuming they review well and DLSS 3.0 doesn't turn out to be a dud.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #2579
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a 4090 on order from somewhere?

I just looked and saw they're listed on MemEx's site, $2200 to $2800... ouch. Though the $1600USD MSRP is almost $2200 CAD so I guess..

3090's are listed for $1100+ on Facebook.. I still think I'd rather get a 4080 at $1600CAD (if that's what they come in at about) assuming they review well and DLSS 3.0 doesn't turn out to be a dud.
Dlss is over rated. Why have a high resolution moniter and not run it in Native?
Old 10-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #2580
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Dlss is over rated. Why have a high resolution moniter and not run it in Native?
... Because you get much higher framerates and your eyes can barely ever even tell the difference between native and upscaled in most games?

What a weird question.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote