Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #1161
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

He's back.

6 days away from the house. He's missing his collar (which had my phone number) and a few lbs. We gave him a bit of food so he doesn't gorge himself and he seems happy to be home. Making a vet appointment now.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #1162
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome! So good to hear. How did you find him?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #1163
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Awesome! So good to hear. How did you find him?
I went to move the car for some contractors and he was hanging out on the back deck. No idea where he was for 6 days but we're all happy he's back. I was able to show the kids while they were at the bus stop so they can have a less stressful day at school.

Big weight lifted.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #1164
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did somebody remove the collar? That seems a little strange. I assume someone must have done that?

Glad to see he was found!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #1165
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's awesome news! So happy to hear.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #1166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a cat with a collar. One day the collar vanished(indoors). About a week later I found it in the closet around a coat hanger(the top bit). The assumption is he climbed up there, it got caught, the cat hung and managed to drop free of it. So I'm not really a fan of them, though I do get the benefits. So the cat could have got in a situation that had it removed without assistance. Tough to know without CatCam.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #1167
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Did somebody remove the collar? That seems a little strange. I assume someone must have done that?

Glad to see he was found!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We had a cat with a collar. One day the collar vanished(indoors). About a week later I found it in the closet around a coat hanger(the top bit). The assumption is he climbed up there, it got caught, the cat hung and managed to drop free of it. So I'm not really a fan of them, though I do get the benefits. So the cat could have got in a situation that had it removed without assistance. Tough to know without CatCam.
His collar is (was) just a snap one for that very reason. They stay on 90% of the time but the snap will come apart quickly with any weight on it. It's to prevent them from choking if it gets caught when they're jumping or climbing. He would scratch it off the first week we had him but we kept putting it back on so he would get used to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #1168
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to open this thread to some good news for once.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #1169
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Nice to open this thread to some good news for once.
Ha ha ha. I was thinking the same thing. This thread is a time and place thing for me. I have to be in the right mood to click on the thread when it's bumped as for some strange reason I take someone's loss of a pet harder than losing a loved one. I'm always stone cold at funerals yet shed tears when my cat died. How weird is that?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #1170
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well. Everytime this thread was bumped I had a hard time coming into the thread because I knew it would eventually be my turn.

This morning I said good by to Boris. My best friend of the last 9 years. Not young, but not old either. He had been sick for about a year with hepatitis, but an infection took him over in the last few days and yesterday he had some blood in his stool and vomit. I took him to emergency and he died 10 hours later.

I took him home when he was 8 weeks old and raised him myself. He was my first dog. I always wanted a one when we were kids, but I'm glad my parents didn't get us one so I could eventually find Boris and make him my own. He really was the greatest dog. Everyone who met him loved him. He was gentle and quiet only ever wanted to give crazy amounts of kisses. People would marvel at how well trained he was, but in reality, he made me look like a genius. He was always super easy to train even from the day I brought him home. I truly don't think I would ever be able to find a dog like him again so I'm probably a one and done dog owner.

As a single guy living in a city away from my family and core friends, he really is the closest piece of family I've had for a long time. I will miss him dearly every day.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #1171
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
He's back.

6 days away from the house. He's missing his collar (which had my phone number) and a few lbs. We gave him a bit of food so he doesn't gorge himself and he seems happy to be home. Making a vet appointment now.

Damn... glad to hear that worked out. My cat always wants to go outside, but he's an indoor cat. Unfortunately he also won't wear a collar (I tried when he was young but he'd just kick at it and wrestle it until he got it off or destroyed it). I'm always afraid when he manages to sneak out that he'll just take off. Fortunately so far he has never gone outside the yard and shaking cat treats has got him back.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #1172
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Unfortunately he also won't wear a collar (I tried when he was young but he'd just kick at it and wrestle it until he got it off or destroyed it). I'm always afraid when he manages to sneak out that he'll just take off.
I've got a door-dasher, too, though she seems to have mellowed on that the last year or so.

Microchip is your best bet, but an ear tattoo also sounds like it'd work to help alleviate your fears if he gets out.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #1173
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
He really was the greatest dog.
Yeah he really looked it, so sorry for your loss Coach.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #1174
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So very, very sorry for your loss Coach. You will feel this loss keenly, that's for sure. He was family. And he had all your happiest moments - because even the worst moment with a dog is still better than any other moments. Dogs are love, loyalty, devotion and true, deep friendship. I will guarantee that you will get another dog one day too. So take your time. Hang his collar on your wall. Leave his toys lying around. And I have to say that the photo of you two in the car is absolutely priceless. Take care.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #1175
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Microchip is your best bet, but an ear tattoo also sounds like it'd work to help alleviate your fears if he gets out.
Yeah, he has the tattoo so if he wound up getting picked up by AARCS or whoever he'd be fine. It'd be a matter of him lasting long enough to get caught by something other than a dog or a coyote or whatever.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #1176
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your loss Coach. What a beautiful boy!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #1177
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had been following this thread and also this yt channel; wanted to share after seeing their loss:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #1178
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter lost her little fuzzball last night. He would have been 16 in Nov. I won't go into too many details, except to say it was traumatic (not run over or anything like that, it was a health issue that appeared without warning, but it wasn't pretty). He was still alive when we got to the vet, but given his age & some other factors, she opted for euthanization. Not how we expected to end the day.

He was a treasured member of the family. He was my daughter's dog, but he was the best little guy, for everyone. His name was Farley but he was the dog with 100 nicknames - Sir Farles Fluffington (when his coat was long, he was super floof), Ol' Frecklebelly, Farf, Farfenheimer, DerpDog, FluffyButt, Mr Hop-a-long...the list goes on and on.

He, along with his brother Finn, came into my daughter's life 10 years ago, at a time she needed them most, when health issues were making life particularly difficult for her and the doctors couldn't figure it out. I know that his ears, and Finn's, became a safe place for my daughter to tell her secrets and sorrows to, knowing that the only thing she'd get in return were gentle licks and snuggles, no judgment, no disapproval. They were the best therapists and I know they were often the only reason she got through the last 10 years.

Farley entertained her, and us, with his endless derpiness, attached to the most lovable personality. He was always submissive to Finn, because Finn was the boss, but he would get fiercely chirpy and defensive if he felt any dog or anyone might harm Finn. He never actually bit/hurt another dog or person, he just thought he was being fierce and putting them/you on notice, and for such a normally quiet little dog, when he got chirpy, it was always a bit of a surprise.

Farley had the funniest little one-sided bunny hop on his right hind leg when he walked. By the time he came to us, he'd cost his former owners a pretty penny at the vet, because they thought something was wrong. The vets cleared him though, and just said it was Farf's special little quirk. That was Farley to a T. A special little quirk. Happy, always, and cluelessly moseying through life at his funny little pace, with his funny little one-sided bunny hop.

He was hard to get pictures of, he would absolutely turn his head if you got the camera out. We'd often end up with pictures like this:

Every so often, we were lucky enough to get one like this:

Farf was derpy as hell, but sometimes the quickest to catch on to something new that my daughter was trying to teach all the dogs. I don't know if that dog ever had a bad day (until last night, obvs).

It got a little quieter around here today and I don't like it...I'm grateful to the vet that things were gentle, and very peaceful for Farley, as he left us.

Last edited by Minnie; 06-29-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #1179
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 16 year old deaf cat, Beatrice, had been doing better, then took a sudden turn for the worse that the vet was not able to correct after a couple cascade organ issues. We had to make the very hard decision to ease her pain and grant her peace.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-01-2021 at 10:16 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #1180
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What a pretty girl, Miss Beatrice. I am so very, very sad and sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post: