Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #701
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Is there a (coal?) mine north of Elkford? Perhaps the blasting noise carries over the range?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #702
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Is there a (coal?) mine north of Elkford? Perhaps the blasting noise carries over the range?

Yeah. Totally. It was coming from the area where the mine is on this map...

I got my artist names wrong for the mountains. O'Rourke and Gass and also Farquhar spelled incorrectly. But that's totally where I was.

The website for the mine says they blast away the waste material in the open pit mine operations. Mystery totally solved. Thanks! I was hoping for secret bombing site or something. But the coal mine makes sense.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #703
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to go with you were crazy and the person you were with imaginary.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #704
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rock slide?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #705
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I was going to go with you were crazy and the person you were with imaginary.

Just huffing bear spray.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #706
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Conquered Prairie today. Little bit of a goal hike. Background- I had my sixth knee surgery a little less than 18 months ago and just started hiking this year with a friend. Felt like dying going up there but I made it!
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vegasbound For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #707
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did Helen Lake this weekend and it was really beautiful and just a fantastic hike. It’s a bit of a drive (about 33km from Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway). It’s about 6km to the lake and another couple kms up a ridge, but totally worth it and not that difficult. We saw a number of kids and getting to the lake was not overly strenuous.

I also did Crypt Lake a couple weeks ago and that was excellent, as advertised! I think next year we’ll aim to do the “triple crown” in Waterton as we really enjoyed it down there. We also hiked Bertha Falls, which was much easier and way shorter, but the views and sights were amazing. I’ll try to post some pics...because having a hiking thread with no/few images is a bit lame!

I have come to the point where I need new boots though. Mine are pretty old and have a lot of miles on them. I can’t remember which model now, but they’re Vasque and my second pair. I’m looking for a good boot with a wide toe box and looking around online I haven’t really come to anything at this point. If anyone has some feedback or suggestions, that would be great!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #708
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if the minimum group of 4 restrictions around lake Louise and Maligne lake are in effect this year. I looked at the warnings and closures page and the trail conditions page and didn’t seem them.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #709
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone know if the minimum group of 4 restrictions around lake Louise and Maligne lake are in effect this year. I looked at the warnings and closures page and the trail conditions page and didn’t seem them.
Was that ever in effect? I've hiked those areas solo last year and this year and chatted with the parks people along the way. They appeared to have no issues.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #710
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I did Helen Lake this weekend and it was really beautiful and just a fantastic hike. It’s a bit of a drive (about 33km from Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway). It’s about 6km to the lake and another couple kms up a ridge, but totally worth it and not that difficult. We saw a number of kids and getting to the lake was not overly strenuous.

I also did Crypt Lake a couple weeks ago and that was excellent, as advertised! I think next year we’ll aim to do the “triple crown” in Waterton as we really enjoyed it down there. We also hiked Bertha Falls, which was much easier and way shorter, but the views and sights were amazing. I’ll try to post some pics...because having a hiking thread with no/few images is a bit lame!

I have come to the point where I need new boots though. Mine are pretty old and have a lot of miles on them. I can’t remember which model now, but they’re Vasque and my second pair. I’m looking for a good boot with a wide toe box and looking around online I haven’t really come to anything at this point. If anyone has some feedback or suggestions, that would be great!
Make any marmot friends at Helen Lake? It's a nice trail.

Did you have to take a ferry across to/from waterton to access the Crypt Lake trailhead? Was curious as to how that works.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #711
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
None that I saw last weekend
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-26-2020, 12:08 AM   #712
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Not hiking, but just picked up my new canoe today after it shipped from being made in Abbotsford. Will be taking it out for a canoe camping trip on Minnewanka this weekend. Kevlar Clipper Tripper -- the green one, it's a beauty!

Last edited by Torture; 08-26-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #713
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Make any marmot friends at Helen Lake? It's a nice trail.

Did you have to take a ferry across to/from waterton to access the Crypt Lake trailhead? Was curious as to how that works.
Yes to both!

The ferry was pretty simple. We bought tickets the day before (only in person and to make sure that we had our spots). We showed up at about 8:15 and got on the boat. We finished the hike at about 4-4:15 and lined up for the ferry back. I had my kids with me, so the hike was rather slow. We did hike around the lake itself, so I think we totalled around 20-21kms for the day. It can take a bit because the ladder and tunnel and cables can be a bit backed up and you can’t pass people (or let people pass easily). I wouldn’t say it was really slow with a lot of waiting, but there was some waiting.

I’d highly recommend it though. It took me a lot of years to finally do that one and it was definitely worth it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 06:32 AM   #714
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's absolutely worth doing. On my top 10, for sure.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #715
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went to Ribbon Falls today. Not sure why guide books call the first section up to the bike racks “an old logging road”. It’s pretty much a regular hiking trail. Also recorded closer to 20km from parking lot to water falls and back. Didn’t seem that far as it was pretty flat. Nice scenery though and the creek next to the trail kept was nice so it was easy to cool down.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #716
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Was that ever in effect? I've hiked those areas solo last year and this year and chatted with the parks people along the way. They appeared to have no issues.
In 2015 or so it was, That was probably the last time I was at LL or Moraine lake. My GemTrek map has a warning about it as well but don’t see a printed date. (Probably 10 years old). It is definitely no longer in affect now.

Did Sentinal and Wechmeana??? Pass. Nice long day. I’m amazed how unprepared some of the people going up temple are. Bike Helmets, blue Jeans and runners seemed like a theme today.

Last edited by GGG; 08-26-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #717
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know if Rawson Lake and Sarrail ridge are open again? Also I'm thinking of doing Ha Ling tomorrow, you guys recommend it?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #718
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Anyone know if Rawson Lake and Sarrail ridge are open again? Also I'm thinking of doing Ha Ling tomorrow, you guys recommend it?
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/ka.../trail-report/

Rawson appears open based on the trail report from Alberta parks.

Ha Ling is a zoo at the best of times. So if you don’t mind people it’s a good hike. Don’t expect to be alone
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #719
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks! Which one would you say is a better hike overall? Looking for some cool views

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #720
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Thanks! Which one would you say is a better hike overall? Looking for some cool views
Both have epic views but Rawson/Sarrail is a little more special with the lakes. More variety along the way too. Ha ling is easier but it will be crowded.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness