Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #121
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Just so we are totally clear here. The only reason Brodie or Frolik are trade bait is solely based on asset management. Not play. I think we've gotten lost on that here.

Yes there are other options like Hamonic or....or...geezer I dont know who else you can cut from the fw group other than Frolik and his 1 year remaining contract.

Anyways. None of Brodie or Frolik suck, but they certainly aren't core foundational pieces. We need that cap space. And we need cheaper middle 6 rw options.

I dont think we have this conversation if all of Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington showed that can being.something to the table regularly at the NHL level.

Once again this is ASSET MANAGEMENT. Thanks.for reading.
Thanks for this post. I look forward to it being entirely in vain and one of the usual suspects starting over the same conversations about Brodie and Frolik which showing zero understanding of how asset management works.

“We are trading him? HE IS BAD THEN! WHY ELSE DO YOU TRADE PLAYERS?” or
“We are trading him? WHY, IF HE IS NOT BAD? WE SHOULD KEEP HIM!”

The salary cap: in existence for 15 years, and still some fans can’t figure it out.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #122
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In fairness, there is a critical mass of layers of increasing salary cohorts each on top of the other now.

Whereas teams would just avoid arb or not qualify rfa’s and walk now we are actually moving players for value that includes a premium for cap relief.

It’s a changing landscape and it will continue. Frolik has and will be an effective player but his last year is not working for us. That’s it. Still a decent player no need, but no fit this year.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Owen15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #123
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Thanks for this post. I look forward to it being entirely in vain and one of the usual suspects starting over the same conversations about Brodie and Frolik which showing zero understanding of how asset management works.

“We are trading him? HE IS BAD THEN! WHY ELSE DO YOU TRADE PLAYERS?” or
“We are trading him? WHY, IF HE IS NOT BAD? WE SHOULD KEEP HIM!”

The salary cap: in existence for 15 years, and still some fans can’t figure it out.
"If we're trading them, they must suck so we're going to have to give up assets so a team will take them then give up more assets to find a player to fill the roster spot! The sky is falling, we're all doomed!!"

They shouldn't have qualified Bennett!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 AM   #124
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Erik Haula got a conditional 5th and Nicholas Roy. Nicholas Roy doesn’t look very good.

If I compare Haula to Frolik, Haula is younger and cheaper, and he had a 29 goal season recently. However, he does not have Frolik’s impact on possession or ability to drive play out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone with possession.

It all depends what the purchaser values, but if I had to bet, I’d say the Flames are probably looking at a similar return. Frolik is a good player. The salary cap is $81.5M.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #125
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Erik Haula got a conditional 5th and Nicholas Roy. Nicholas Roy doesn’t look very good.

If I compare Haula to Frolik, Haula is younger and cheaper, and he had a 29 goal season recently. However, he does not have Frolik’s impact on possession or ability to drive play out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone with possession.

It all depends what the purchaser values, but if I had to bet, I’d say the Flames are probably looking at a similar return. Frolik is a good player. The salary cap is $81.5M.
As mentioned in the other thread, the knee injury that Haula had could be career limiting. So maybe Frolik valuation isn't worse and maybe even better. Mid round pick and/or prospect is what we can expect.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #126
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

^have you watch Roy?

As mentioned in other thread on Vegas deal:
"^Roy fell in his draft year, ranked in the 2nd rnd by almost everyone, and leading up to his draft yr as 1st talent. He subsequently crushed in his 2 yrs post draft, had a good WJC tourney in there as well. He was nearly a PPG in AHL playoffs as well, so Vegas did well in this trade as well."
Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #127
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik is being underrated by a few people here. He's one of those guys who focuses on playing responsibly defensively first, but still contributes points while doing so. He's a big piece of the Backlund - Tkachuk line and it will be interesting to see how they adapt if they stay together.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #128
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's the issue, the Tkachuck Backlund Frolik line really shouldn't be a thing imo. Frolik is clearly a third line player (Backlund is an ideal third line player) but they're playing on the second line with Tkachuk and hes making them better. Frolik is good at his role but hes replaceable as a third line guy and they need better second line talent. I dont think they'll have to give up assets to move him because hes valuable to the right team, they just need to find that team.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #129
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

In all probability this is nothing, but Commodore did call Neal to CGY, Nyquist to SK, and he now seems to be right about Pavelski to DAL (it seems like he was first?) and Lazar to BUF (after Chris Johnston). So I’m taking it all with a huge grain of salt, but just for kicks and giggles, I thought I’d entertain his Kadri to CGY deal (probably for Brodie), and I’ll also pretend Frolik is traded for picks.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Kadri - Dube
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Ryan
czarnik
Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington -

Rittich
Talbot

I decided to make the pairings up front Gaudreau and Monahan, Tkachuk and Kadri, Bennett and Backlund, and Mangiapane and Ryan. I then decided not to break up line 1 from last season. I put Neal with Bennett and Backlund because they have more speed than Tkachuk and Kadri, I think. Finally, I think it’s Dube’s year to break in, and I think he offers a speedy winger opposite Tkachuk, who is awesome but is not the fastest. Quine would be another option up front. For the 4th line, I just grabbed Janko as the best available forward. I see that 4th line as having Janko take face offs on the left, Ryan on the right.

It may be better to have Kylington on the farm again and sign a 7th LD like Fantengerg.

But I like that lineup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #130
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think janko is going to be part of a deal, Ryan moves to the middle and Reeves joins the fourth line. I also think you switch Dube and Bennett. I think Stone is traded for Reeves. I think this is the year Buzz Killington makes the team this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they somehow signed Connolly
Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #131
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Jersey is without their 2020 2nd and has Boston's 2020 4th.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #132
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
In all probability this is nothing, but Commodore did call Neal to CGY, Nyquist to SK, and he now seems to be right about Pavelski to DAL (it seems like he was first?) and Lazar to BUF (after Chris Johnston). So I’m taking it all with a huge grain of salt, but just for kicks and giggles, I thought I’d entertain his Kadri to CGY deal (probably for Brodie), and I’ll also pretend Frolik is traded for picks.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Kadri - Dube
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Ryan
czarnik
Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington -

Rittich
Talbot

I decided to make the pairings up front Gaudreau and Monahan, Tkachuk and Kadri, Bennett and Backlund, and Mangiapane and Ryan. I then decided not to break up line 1 from last season. I put Neal with Bennett and Backlund because they have more speed than Tkachuk and Kadri, I think. Finally, I think it’s Dube’s year to break in, and I think he offers a speedy winger opposite Tkachuk, who is awesome but is not the fastest. Quine would be another option up front. For the 4th line, I just grabbed Janko as the best available forward. I see that 4th line as having Janko take face offs on the left, Ryan on the right.

It may be better to have Kylington on the farm again and sign a 7th LD like Fantengerg.

But I like that lineup.
Which of your lines plays against (checks) the oppositions top line?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #133
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Which of your lines plays against (checks) the oppositions top line?
Line 2

Although, I don’t really think I have a shutdown line, and I’m fine with that.

How would you do it?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #134
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane

After Frolik, that is my hope for a 3rd line that can play defense and score some goals. I think Mangiapane is being massively underrated and can potentially have a breakout season.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
???-???-Lindholm

I think Treliving then needs to go out and fill two spots in the top six. The first can be Brodie+Jankowski for Kadri. Next, Frolik can be traded for a pick... and then I would trade Neal+1st 2020 (protected) for a pick... it would suck to lose a first round pick but it won't be the end of the world especially if the Flames pick late...then I would also buyout Stone and re-sign Fantenberg.

I would then try and fill the remaining forward spot with either Zucarello, Nyquist, or Dzingel. If the price isn't right, maybe try Mangiapane in the top six.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Nyquist-Kadri-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane
Dube-Ryan-Czarnik (or maybe Nichushkin?)
Quine

Giordano-Andersson
Hamonic-Hanifin
Kylington-Valimaki
Fantenberg

Rittich
Talbot

I like that line-up a lot.

Last edited by keenan87; 06-30-2019 at 09:30 AM.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #135
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ill go against the grain. If jankowski os traded to a team that gives him consistent icetime plus #2 pp time - the guy will be a 50 point 2 way center.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote