Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon48 2019 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees announced

Hayley Wickenheiser, Sergei Zubov, Guy Carbonneau, and Vaclav Nedomansky have been named player inductees into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Jim Rutherford and Jerry York will be enshrined as builders.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1143576756890275842

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 06-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

C’mon Theo!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Hayley Wickenheiser is a shoe-in (skate-in?).
Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It's Zubov, Guy Carbonneau, Wickenheiser, and Vaclav Nedomansky

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau's college coach, Jerry York gets the call as a builder.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Still no Vernon makes me a sad Flames fan.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I'm surprised Guy Carbonneau wasn't already in there.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 06-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a bit of an underwhelming group at first glance, aside from Wickenheiser.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How does Nedomansky get in? Particularly ahead of Theo, but there's probably many others.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is Guy Carbonneau going in the water-skiing category? All he did was hook people from behind and get away with it!

(but you could say that about many players in the 80s)
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Nedomansky was the first hockey player to defect from behind the Iron Curtain. It was huge at the time. He was a major international star.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #12
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It boggles my mind that Theo is not in the HHOF.

Here are some excerpts from a letter I wrote to the HHOF committee a couple years back. It wasn't hard to do, the committee is posted on the HHOF website.
This one was to Duhatschek- the only one who had the decency and class to write me back.

"I am writing you today as a stalwart Calgary Flames fan.

At the end of this month the Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee will once again consider who to induct as part of the class of 2017. I feel that the selection of Theoren Fleury to the Hockey Hall of Fame is long overdue.

As a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee, a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a journalist who has covered the Calgary Flames since day one, I am sure you are well aware of Theo's career beginnings, career stats, accomplishments, his story. Allow me to highlight just a few.

Though involved in the "Punch up in Piestany" in 1987 as a member of Team Canada at that junior tournament, as was Hockey Hall of Famer Brendan Shanahan, Fleury returned to Team Canada as Captain and lead them to gold in the 1988 tournament. That team included future Hall of Famer Joe Sakic, as well as stars Trevor Linden and Mark Recchi.

The 1989 Stanley Cup Champion Calgary Flames team included NHL rookie Theo, but not as a bit player. Called up halfway through the season, he was almost a point-per-game player. He played in all 22 playoff games scoring 3 game winning goals.

He went on to be a star player for the Flames. Their leading scorer for 6 seasons, 2 season of 100 points or better, 7 all-star game appearances, a second team all-star selection in 1994/95, franchise point leader when he was traded (still 2nd on that list to Jarome), a point per game player for his career, top 50 on the NHL list of power play goal scorers. Along the way Theo was a part of the 1991 Canada Cup Champion Team Canada and the 2002 Olympic Gold medalist Team Canada.

Stanley Cup ring, 3 international championships, prolific scorer. All these accomplishments, while being the "biggest little guy" at 5 foot 6, put Theo Fleury far ahead of those under consideration for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame today.

But there is the rest of the story, which I think cannot go unacknowledged, and of course, which you know all too well. Fleury's career did not end in glory or accolades. Alcoholism, always being the little guy fighting for space and respect, and the scars from his junior days under Grahame James, took their toll. At the time he was certainly not the athlete parents wanted their kids to look up to. His suspension and tantrums surely taint him. However, I think one has to keep in mind the times and the sport. Dealing with substance abuse, primarily alcoholism, is relatively new in the NHL. Are the stories of free flowing beer between periods in the '60s and '70s myth? How often has the NHL simply allowed the affected player to just fade away? Was Theo belligerent and disrespectful to Flames ownership and the NHL on his way out? Possible, but I think that comes with having to be the tough little guy always battling the big boys. Besides, belligerence and toughness is a badge of honour for the NHL. Fleury would be 4th in PIM on the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME list, and likely lower if the careers of Lindros and Neel y were not cut short.

Also, if the selection committee is going to consider Fleury's "dark times", they should also consider his current good works. Fleury seems to be on the road to controlling his disease. He has become a community activist and advocate for those who have been abused. He takes his positive massage - a message of hope, of triumph through adversity, of speaking up for yourself, of telling of abuse - across Canada.

(Some personal info here )

Theo Fleury clearly checks off most of the boxes necessary for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Stanley Cup champion, Canada Cup champion, Olympic Gold medalist, World Junior Champion, Over 1,000 games played, scoring at a point per game pace, a season All-Star, 7 all-star game appearances, and a great story as the 5'6" player in a 6'5" league.

As a Calgary Flames fan, as a hockey fan, as a fan of the underdog, and as a fan of redemption, I implore you to advocate for the induction of Theo Fleury into the Hockey Hall of Fame."

The HHOF committee should feel shame at this omission.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
How does Nedomansky get in? Particularly ahead of Theo, but there's probably many others.
Obviously they are still on their kick of pretending it's a global HHOF rather than a predominantly North American one, but man, there's got to be many better global candidates as well.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is Guy Carbonneau going in the water-skiing category? All he did was hook people from behind and get away with it!

(but you could say that about many players in the 80s)
I'm just surprised he isn't already there. If someone were to have asked me to name some Montreal HHoFers, I'd probably rattle off something like:

- Roy
- Lafleur
- Chelios
- Richard
- Richard
- Courtnal
- Cournoyer
- Carbonneau
- Geoffrion
- Dryden

...etc
Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
It boggles my mind that Theo is not in the HHOF.

Here are some excerpts from a letter I wrote to the HHOF committee a couple years back. It wasn't hard to do, the committee is posted on the HHOF website.
This one was to Duhatschek- the only one who had the decency and class to write me back.

"I am writing you today as a stalwart Calgary Flames fan.

At the end of this month the Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee will once again consider who to induct as part of the class of 2017. I feel that the selection of Theoren Fleury to the Hockey Hall of Fame is long overdue.

As a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee, a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a journalist who has covered the Calgary Flames since day one, I am sure you are well aware of Theo's career beginnings, career stats, accomplishments, his story. Allow me to highlight just a few.

Though involved in the "Punch up in Piestany" in 1987 as a member of Team Canada at that junior tournament, as was Hockey Hall of Famer Brendan Shanahan, Fleury returned to Team Canada as Captain and lead them to gold in the 1988 tournament. That team included future Hall of Famer Joe Sakic, as well as stars Trevor Linden and Mark Recchi.

The 1989 Stanley Cup Champion Calgary Flames team included NHL rookie Theo, but not as a bit player. Called up halfway through the season, he was almost a point-per-game player. He played in all 22 playoff games scoring 3 game winning goals.

He went on to be a star player for the Flames. Their leading scorer for 6 seasons, 2 season of 100 points or better, 7 all-star game appearances, a second team all-star selection in 1994/95, franchise point leader when he was traded (still 2nd on that list to Jarome), a point per game player for his career, top 50 on the NHL list of power play goal scorers. Along the way Theo was a part of the 1991 Canada Cup Champion Team Canada and the 2002 Olympic Gold medalist Team Canada.

Stanley Cup ring, 3 international championships, prolific scorer. All these accomplishments, while being the "biggest little guy" at 5 foot 6, put Theo Fleury far ahead of those under consideration for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame today.

But there is the rest of the story, which I think cannot go unacknowledged, and of course, which you know all too well. Fleury's career did not end in glory or accolades. Alcoholism, always being the little guy fighting for space and respect, and the scars from his junior days under Grahame James, took their toll. At the time he was certainly not the athlete parents wanted their kids to look up to. His suspension and tantrums surely taint him. However, I think one has to keep in mind the times and the sport. Dealing with substance abuse, primarily alcoholism, is relatively new in the NHL. Are the stories of free flowing beer between periods in the '60s and '70s myth? How often has the NHL simply allowed the affected player to just fade away? Was Theo belligerent and disrespectful to Flames ownership and the NHL on his way out? Possible, but I think that comes with having to be the tough little guy always battling the big boys. Besides, belligerence and toughness is a badge of honour for the NHL. Fleury would be 4th in PIM on the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME list, and likely lower if the careers of Lindros and Neel y were not cut short.

Also, if the selection committee is going to consider Fleury's "dark times", they should also consider his current good works. Fleury seems to be on the road to controlling his disease. He has become a community activist and advocate for those who have been abused. He takes his positive massage - a message of hope, of triumph through adversity, of speaking up for yourself, of telling of abuse - across Canada.

(Some personal info here )

Theo Fleury clearly checks off most of the boxes necessary for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Stanley Cup champion, Canada Cup champion, Olympic Gold medalist, World Junior Champion, Over 1,000 games played, scoring at a point per game pace, a season All-Star, 7 all-star game appearances, and a great story as the 5'6" player in a 6'5" league.

As a Calgary Flames fan, as a hockey fan, as a fan of the underdog, and as a fan of redemption, I implore you to advocate for the induction of Theo Fleury into the Hockey Hall of Fame."

The HHOF committee should feel shame at this omission.
What was Duhatschek's reply to this?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm. interesting class.setting aside Wickenheiser for a second, there are no elite inner circle HOFers here

Zubov I"m glad gets the nod

not super high on Carbonneau- it would appear being an elite defensive forward as a Hab, gets you more Selkes and HOF props than maybe others in the high end defensive category ( Lehtinen, Ramsay, Otto, Peca etc). If Carbonneau goes in someone like Brind'amour should be a no brainer?

Nedomansky- I understand that one, but clearly still hard to weigh out the guys with significant European careers. clearly special credit needs to be given to the guys held back by politics but wonder if this means anything eventually for the guys like Loob whose mixed NHL/international career is stellar even if the NHL one is a little light
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #17
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm just surprised he isn't already there. If someone were to have asked me to name some Montreal HHoFers, I'd probably rattle off something like:

-
- Courtnal
-

...etc
quoi?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
quoi?
Russ Courtnal isn't in the HoF?

Edit: Nope, he isn't! I was hoping his brother was, and that I had just mixed them up, but nope! He's not in there either. I think I just hated playing the Habs so much back then that I think they're all in the HoF.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #19
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
What was Duhatschek's reply to this?

Mainly this - "when we join the committee, we are obliged to sign strict confidentiality agreements. under no circumstances am I or any member of the committee permitted to comment on our deliberations, upon penalty of dismissal."

He is not on the 2019 committee. I guess if pressed he could now discuss what goes on, but that would likely mean never serving again.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zubov was such a smooth player. Perfectly tailored for today's game yet still succeeded despite playing his prime years during the dark days of clutch and grab NHL hockey. Outstanding player that was maybe overshadowed by some bigger name defensemen. Glad he's getting his due here.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
kevin lowe is no good