Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #21
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

December Rankings for Sportnet are out.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ings-december/

Quote:
1. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: The next proving ground en route to going first overall is on the big stage at the WJC.

2. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-4, 207 pounds: Is a big piece for his home club playing against men, which might suggest dominance at the WJC, but that’s easier said than done.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (MHL), 6-foot-1, 183 pounds: Proved he could hang with the under-20s in an elevated role. Won’t get to Vancouver for the WJC, but he’s off to a great start in Bonneyville at the World Junior A Challenge.

4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 185 pounds: Struggled the first two weeks after the CIBC Canada-Russia series, but has been on a tear since. Will have to adjust to, but should benefit from, a decreased work load with Lethbridge’s recent trade additions.

5. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 195 pounds: Point production has slowed, but he’s dedicated to the craft, and a right shot centre with his size is an extremely coveted asset.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #22
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems as if there are lots of good D men that can be found later in the first round. I am a big believer in drafting the best player available, still it is hard to imagine the Flames wont look to replenish their D prospect pool.

6. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver Giants (WHL), 6-foot-1, 195 pounds: Ahead of the curve defensively and the offensive side is just starting to take off.

12. Cam York, D, USNTDP, 5-foot-11, 171 pounds: Climbing quickly because of an elite skating ability, paired with excellent vision that works at both ends of the ice.

17. Philip Broberg, D, AIK (Allsvenskan), 6-foot-3, 190 pounds: Big defender who skates well. Late invite to Sweden’s WJC camp in the wake of Timothy Liljegren’s injury — can he capitalize on the opportunity?

18. Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), 6-foot-3, 201 pounds: Quietly going about his business and with less pressure to be “the guy” he is thriving every night.

21. Alex Vlasic, D, USNTDP, 6-foot5, 193 pounds: Found a new gear at the U18 Five Nations event and contributed mightily at both ends

22. Anttoni Honka, D, JYP (Liiga), 5-foot-10, 179 pounds: Stars are aligned for him to get big minutes at the WJC, where he can put all of his tools on display against his peer group.

24. Thomas Harley, D, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL), 6-foot-3, 188 pounds: A riverboat gambler who must continue to work on play in his own end. There’s a Thomas Chabot waiting to come out.

25. Victor Soderstrom, D, Brynas (Sweden U20), 5-foot-11, 179 pounds: A solid two-way game with projected offensive upside. Is playing top six minutes in the SHL.

27. Lassi Thomson, D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL), 6-foot, 188 pounds: Continues to emerge. Next stop on the way up the ladder is making Finland’s WJC team.

29. Moritz Seider, D, Mannehim (DEL), 6-foot-3, 183 pounds: Missed time due to injury, and now back playing with his peers at Division 1 of the WJC. The event should allow him to showcase some of the offensive upside he’s not quite ready to pull off playing in the DEL.

31. Vladislav Kolyachonok, D, Flint Firebirds (WHL), 6-foot, 176 pounds: A tireless worker who applies himself aggressively on the offensive side.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #24
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
I have a feeling this will be a popular thread in here lol

I hope we still have our 1st round pick ����
We sure better have it. This organization will be in tough to sustain the loss of further first or second round picks in such a close period of time to the last two diminished drafts.

The scouts have done quite well to maximize value, but sooner or later you do need to draw from the higher crop of prospects or the cupboard will be devoid of offensive talent in a hurry.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're going to draft a goalie this draft, hopefully they can get their mitts on Mads Sogaard.

Ranked #21 by hockeyprospect

Goalies are such a gamble, especially that high but he looks so good when I watch him.

6'7" and really strong numbers in his rookie WHL season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay last one.

This is what Craig Button has to say.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-kakk...lash-1.1225187

Quote:
Hughes has continued his torrid pace for the U.S. National Development U18 Team this season, racking up 48 points (10 goals, 38 assists) in 25 games. He has been firmly entrenched atop these rankings since September and shows no signs of going anywhere but first overall next June in Vancouver.

Kakko, a winger, has impressed playing against men as a 17-year-old for TPS of the Finnish Liiga. Our No. 2 prospect has 17 points (seven goals, 10 assists) in 25 games this season.

Russian right wing Vasili Podkolzin has jumped three spots from our October ranking to land at No. 3 this month. Podkolzin, who is currently playing for his national team at the World Junior A Challenge in Bonnyville, Alta., is a complete player who can excel in all situations. His style of play and approach to the game reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk.

Two Western Hockey League forwards round out the top five. Lethbridge Hurricanes centre Dylan Cozens (16 goals, 25 assists in 30 games) and Saskatoon Blades centre Kirby Dach (14 goals, 28 assists in 33 games) both have the skating and skill necessary to thrive in today’s NHL. There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t covet their combination of size and talent.

Swedish defenceman Philip Broberg is the highest blueliner on this month’s list at No. 6, followed closely by Bowen Byram of the Vancouver Giants (No. 8). Broberg, an elite skater, and Byram, an elite puck handler, both project as top-pairing defenceman.

Three other American forwards also land in the top 10 this month and it feels like they could form a line for Team USA in the future. Matthew Boldy (No. 7) is a left winger for the USNTDP, Trevor Zegras (No. 9) is a centre for the USNTDP and Arthur Kaliyev (No. 10) plays right wing for the Hamilton Bulldogs of the Ontario Hockey League.

Zegras jumped three spots from No. 12 in our September rankings on the strength of his continued development. An excellent skater, Zegras has also proven he can make plays with his hands, head and feet.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sabres have the Blues first round pick, but it is top 10 protected. Have to think they'll defer to next year if it is top 10.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #28
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The juniors have been eating their Wheaties this draft year. Lots of tall frames in the top 10 both on forward and defense.

A 6'7 monster goalie prospect sounds intriguing.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #29
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Top goalie seems to be Spencer Knight. Big American kid.
Right now most projections have him as a late first/early second - which seems to be the growing trend for when teams star to pick goalies
a goalie hasn't been selected in the top 20 since 2012 (Vasilevsky)
I guess he's destined for Vegas!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet’s 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: January
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...kings-january/

Looks like there will be a handful of good D men available late in the first round.

Quote:

1. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: Not at his best due to injury at the WJC, but it doesn’t matter, he’s the top dog for 2019.

2. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-4, 207 pounds: The only thing missing is a dynamic element that Hughes has shown. His WJC performance has him anchored in the two-hole.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (MHL), 6-foot-1, 183 pounds: Continues to prove he can be leaned on when playing against older competition. He did it at the WJAC and stepped up a notch in class to perform well at the WJC.

4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 185 pounds: Didn’t hang his head after not getting a chance to go to Canada’s WJC selection camp. Skating ability and smarts make him a legit threat every night.

5. Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP, 6-foot-1, 187 pounds: Continues to grow, which can only help an already electric package.

6. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 195 pounds: A beast of a man who is bound and determined to be a pro. A big part of a long-awaited turnaround in Saskatoon.

7. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL), 5-foot-11, 180 pounds: Does being the best player on a poor team make it easier or harder for scouts?

8. Bowen Byram, D. Vancouver Giants (WHL), 6-foot-1, 195 pounds: Has done enough on both sides of the puck to project as a top-four two-way defenceman.

9. Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-11, 189 pounds: Just starting to get his game legs back after missing a month and a half. Details and reliability are the hallmarks of his game.

10. Raphael Lavoie, C/RW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL), 6-foot-4, 192 pounds: Truly an enigma who you’d love to see play with the urgency of a fire drill.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised Kaapo hasn't taken over to spot yet.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #32
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the Avalanche must be rubbing their hands together at the thought of Ottawa's pick being top 3 if not first overall. what a fleecing
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

McKenzie's mid season rankings are out

https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-still-the-ja...raft-1.1246625

According to McKenzie, it is still the Jack Hughes draft with 10 out of 10 surveyed having him #1.

I think there are some interesting options in the late 1st round.

While I am usually against picking a goalie in the 1st round, the idea of Spencer Knight does intrigue me for some reason.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-24-2019 at 11:39 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #34
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the Flames can pick up Connor McMichael (at 31st, of course). He looks like he could be a player and him going up against McDavid and winning would be glorious
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see the Flames going back to drafting a defencemen this go around. Obviously the BPA is the way to go, but the distinction breaks down when you get to past the 20 spot ( where the Flames will hopefully be drafting).

Its a long shot but Mathew Robertson would be an excellent pick, he moves well and has size, and he has an offensive upside. I doubt that he drops to the Flames in the end though.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #36
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree that all things being equal, the Flames will draft a defense-man in the first round IF he is the BPA.
There appears to be a lot of quality defense-men who could fall into the latter half of the 1st round and the first half of the 2nd.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we have our second this year or just a 1st and a 3rd
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #38
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had anyone ever gone to a draft before? I’m close enough to Vancouver this year and thinking about it, of course depending if we still have our first round pick. Do they still do the first round on Friday and the rest of the rounds he next day? Do you have to buy a seat to the entire thing? Is it expensive?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:56 AM   #39
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I believe our second is there Islanders property or possibly coyotes but either way it’s gone I’m almost sure.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:30 AM   #40
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Our 2nd is gone to the Islanders via Hamonic trade.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote