Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #81
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yup, 2 Grade A chances generated out of nothing plays. It'll come together. Its similar to those who hated Byron for not scoring, despite getting 1 or 2 breakaways a game. Patience is going to pay off big time with Bennett.
Bennett has a nose for the net. Their is room on any team for players who consistently drive hard to the net.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #82
jmerkel3d
Draft Pick

Anybody have faceoff stats? Overall or individual? Felt like we won more faceoffs last night...what a strange feeling

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jmerkel3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #83
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Really like having a pre-season game this early. It gets the rust out, gets players in game mode, and come training camp will give players a leg up to compete for those roles. Like getting the first real workout done after a long break and knowing your game plan for the following sessions.

A loss is a loss, but it's really fun to see these guy play, already excited based on what they did. This game felt like a mid-to-end-of-season matchup.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #84
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kinda remember the game, got a hell of a hangover though. Time to get a PVR.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #85
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
“I liked his game. I really liked it,” praised Flames captain Mark Giordano, who personally potted a pair in the opener of the 2018 O.R.G. China Games. “He had a deadly shot with a half a wrist. So now that he’s fully healed, his hips are good, his groins are good, his wrist is good … I’m excited.

“I think it’s going to be a good year for him.”
Quote:
The sharpshooting centre nearly waited too long before zipping the puck just inside the far post with 0.1 seconds showing before the intermission.

“I never really talk numbers-wise … but I have high expectations for myself,” said Monahan, who has scored 27-plus times in each of his past four campaigns. “Obviously I get a lot of opportunity — I play overtime, power-play, five-on-three and stuff like that — and my job is to produce. So I have to put the puck in the net, and I expect a lot better than my previous seasons.”
Quote:
“You want to save them for the regular season, I guess,” Giordano grinned after his two-goal showing in Shenzhen. “But it feels good anytime you can put ’em in like that. For me and for most players, you get confidence. And you want to get confidence no matter what game it is. It’s all about feeling good for that season-opener.”

“Once you have that confidence in your body, you go into a game and you have confidence on the ice,” Monahan said. “Leading up to a game last year, you don’t know how you’re going to feel going into the game. And now I do. That goes a long way.

“Right now, I’m trying to get back on track and get ready for the season.”
https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...4-4ce62c2a24f4

Last edited by Dion; 09-15-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #86
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Happy with the game despite the outcome.

I really liked the new guys, very impressed by Czarnik especially.

One thing that stuck out for me was Tkachuk's skating. Looks less awkward and quicker.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #87
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Marchand is a dirty hockey player. Would love to see someone give him a good tuneup.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #88
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Happy with the game despite the outcome.

I really liked the new guys, very impressed by Czarnik especially.

One thing that stuck out for me was Tkachuk's skating. Looks less awkward and quicker.
Also noticed that, which should be a sign of good things this season.

Re: comments that his passes weren't as crisp, saw quite a few 1 touch passes to the slot from behind the goal line from him that led to 1 times from the slot. Only Monny was able to finish.
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #89
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't sure what to expect from Ryan and Czarnik but I was impressed. Just wish there was more finish on their chances. Ryan is definitely a better player than Jankowski at the moment, so having Jankowski on the 4th line to start the season makes sense. If Dube keeps progressing in pre-season I think he takes Hathaway's spot in the line-up.

I would like to Andersson replace Kulak in the next game.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #90
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Wasn't sure what to expect from Ryan and Czarnik but I was impressed. Just wish there was more finish on their chances. Ryan is definitely a better player than Jankowski at the moment, so having Jankowski on the 4th line to start the season makes sense. If Dube keeps progressing in pre-season I think he takes Hathaway's spot in the line-up.

I would like to Andersson replace Kulak in the next game.
Bennett-Jankowski-Dube would almost immediately become the best 4th line the team has had this century.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #91
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Also bizarre to be complaining about a lack of finish from one individual when the only Flame forward to score last night was Monahan, on the power play at that. Halak was dominant and stoned Lindholm, Ryan, Gaudreau, Neal, Tkachuk, Monahan at ES, etc
Most likely Bennett is not meeting some people's expectations. Maybe some think he should be scoring two or three goals a game.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #92
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

New Look Flames in China

Look at new players, and new systems.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #93
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didnt watch the game how was the crowd? Did it look like they were cheering for one team over the other?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #94
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just gonna echo a lot of what's been said. I thought the team as a whole looked good, but unpolished, which is to be expected. I think the overall hockey IQ and skill level of our forward group is significantly higher than last year. Guys like Czarnik, Ryan, Neal, Lindholm all feel like they can generate something when they have the puck, which is a total breath of fresh air.

As great as Gio-Hamilton was as a pair, Brodano really gets the most out of Gio's offensive game. He was at a 59 point pace the 3 years of Brodano, compared to the 39 point pace he had the last 2 years with Hamilton. If he can get back to the 50+ point territory, and Brodie's production gets a bump up to around 40 as well, now you're only banking on 30-35 from Hanifin for the trade to be a net-zero impact on D production. It sounds crazy on the surface, but trading Hamilton might actually increase our production from our D if Hanifin takes the next step.

Thought Bennett looked like a slightly better version of the same player as last year. He made some nice plays in his own zone to spring his linemates, threw some nice hits, and generated a few chances out of nothing, but there's just this panic to his game when he gets in close. They showed a slow-mo of his chance off Jankowski's saucer pass, and you could see him wave his stick back and forth frantically before making one too many moves and losing the puck. Tough to figure out.

I'm not overly worried about the 3-goal implosion, looked like it was just us getting some wires crossed and turning the puck over, and Boston was lethal finishing those chances. If that continues to be a theme towards the end of the preseason I'll start getting concerned. System wise it looked like we pressured the puck a lot more all over the ice, and I liked how we used the middle of our zone to break out a few times. The PP also changed the angle of attack a lot. I think getting Tkachuk some touches behind the net will go a long way and makes us a lot less predictable.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #95
Rooster697
Draft Pick

The replay cuts out with 10 minutes left in the third, stupid sportnet
Rooster697 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rooster697 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #96
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
I'm not overly worried about the 3-goal implosion, looked like it was just us getting some wires crossed and turning the puck over, and Boston was lethal finishing those chances.
What worries me more about the 3 goal outburst is that it seems to be something that Gillies struggles with. Not sure if the stats actually support that, but he seems to have bad stretches where a lot can go in FAST.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #97
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really liked the Frolik-Ryan-Czarnik line to start the game. Ryan and Czarnik really stood out for me the whole game.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #98
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster697 View Post
The replay cuts out with 10 minutes left in the third, stupid sportnet
Here's what you missed courtesy of Galaxy91122.

Late Tying Goal: https://streamable.com/sy8ba

OT Part 1: https://streamable.com/5rs3v
OT Part 2: https://streamable.com/2zr39

Full Shootout: https://streamable.com/nbrtr
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #99
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What worries me more about the 3 goal outburst is that it seems to be something that Gillies struggles with. Not sure if the stats actually support that, but he seems to have bad stretches where a lot can go in FAST.
In general I agree, but I have a tough time blaming him for those goals. Maybe the second one he was deep in his net. But I'd put it more on the team for giving up two 2-on-1s and a wide-open backdoor pass so soon after one another. I'd argue going back to last year that the quick collapse is less of a goaltending problem, and more a result of our skaters trying to force the play after getting scored on. Gillies' bigger problem was giving up a comical softy out of nowhere, usually early in the game.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #100
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I didnt watch the game how was the crowd? Did it look like they were cheering for one team over the other?
Good crowd. It was noticeably pro-Flames.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: