Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #81
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennets development was seriously held back by the time he had to play with that plumber Brouwer. His and Ferlands point totals would be drastically different if they had played in each others roles. Thank god those idiot coaches we had last year are gone!!!
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #82
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I can see all the bolded playing ahead of Bennett.
I agree. That's 11 forwards out of 12 that all could be in front of Bennett in the depth charts. Some with long term contracts while Bennett's contract will be up. He'll be the odd man out.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #83
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is also true. Two of my most pronounced criticisms of Bennett are:

1) he holds onto the puck too long—this is probably a reflection of your view that he handles the puck way too much. He definitely needs to learn how to use his line mates better. I think some of this stems from having to play with poor finishers like Brouwer, Hathaway, and the cadre of bad players from 2016, but Bennett also needs to take ownership of his performance shortcomings here.

2) He falls down a lot. Probably more frequently than any other player on the team, and I don't know if it is a matter of balance, energy expenditure, or something else. Whatever it is, I think Bennett needs to work on staying on his skates.
Both of these and I'll add a third.

I think his stick is either too long, the wrong lie or quite possibly both. He loses control of the puck way too easily. The toe of the stick appears to be far up in the air when he's trying to handle the puck in tight areas.

I was hoping to see a different player last night. What I was was the same old clumsy player who can't handle the puck or stay on his feet.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #84
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is also true. Two of my most pronounced criticisms of Bennett are:

1) he holds onto the puck too long—this is probably a reflection of your view that he handles the puck way too much. He definitely needs to learn how to use his line mates better. I think some of this stems from having to play with poor finishers like Brouwer, Hathaway, and the cadre of bad players from 2016, but Bennett also needs to take ownership of his performance shortcomings here.

2) He falls down a lot. Probably more frequently than any other player on the team, and I don't know if it is a matter of balance, energy expenditure, or something else. Whatever it is, I think Bennett needs to work on staying on his skates.
3) His shot release is super slow. Takes so long to wind up on his wrist-shot that defenders easily get sticks in the way.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #85
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we really need every single thread having discussion about Bennett?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #86
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Both of these and I'll add a third.

I think his stick is either too long, the wrong lie or quite possibly both. He loses control of the puck way too easily. The toe of the stick appears to be far up in the air when he's trying to handle the puck in tight areas.

I was hoping to see a different player last night. What I was was the same old clumsy player who can't handle the puck or stay on his feet.
Really?

Honestly each to their own, but I just didn't see that.

I saw a guy with fourth line minutes that was in on or directly responsible for creating three blue chip scoring chances through speed or puck skills. I don't know how much more you want from a guy lining up on the fourth line.

Just wish he could finish.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 AM   #87
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Lindholm is actually the perfect RW for Bennett and Janko. Lindholm is basically another Backlund, but one who is also use to playing the wing. He will provide the defensive conscience for these two youngsters that Jagr, Brouwer and Hathaway could not. He will also give the line a face off advantage as a right shot to Janko’s left. Lindholm and Bennett are mostly playmakers and Janko has a great shot. I think they can be a great fit.

Frees up a guy like Czarnik to play with Tkachuck and Backlund too. Could have 3 legitimate scoring lines if Bennett, Janko and Czarnik develop as projected.
Or, an idea I've liked since the trade, go with Lindholm on the right of Tkachuk and Bennett. Defensively responsible and has two opposite hand options to take strong side draws.

Backlund, Ryan, and Frolik can be the defensive line that will obviously still contribute, and Bennett will get easy matchups and tons of minutes with really good players. Could be a killer 2nd scoring line.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #88
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
Or, an idea I've liked since the trade, go with Lindholm on the right of Tkachuk and Bennett. Defensively responsible and has two opposite hand options to take strong side draws.

Backlund, Ryan, and Frolik can be the defensive line that will obviously still contribute, and Bennett will get easy matchups and tons of minutes with really good players. Could be a killer 2nd scoring line.
Two great line combinations IMO.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote