Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #2941
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not really, if they are having practice he's probably on the ice but not hopeful for the next game. But to your point, it's more of an update rather than "news".
Except she isn't providing any update and literally used the word "news". Just seems like a strange thing to tweet to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #2942
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmed:
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/chin...hm/c-300204570
Quote:

Right before the team took a break to flood the ice, Matthew Tkachuk left practice after taking a slight spill. That could change tomorrow's roster but no decisions will be made until after the morning skate.
"Everyone who didn't play Game One is going to play Game Two," Peters confirmed.
"Chucky went down and I don't think it's anything serious but we'll see how he reacts overnight and early in the morning … he'll have an opportunity to skate on it in the morning and see if it reacts favourably. We'll know a lot more after our skate tomorrow but the guys who didn't play in Game One will play in Game Two and Smitty (Mike Smith) will start."
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #2943
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Hopefully, but you also missed the point where it was his 3rd season and he had improved his numbers from year one to year 3 (sophomore year was cut really short due to injuries though). Bennett has gotten worse from year one to now year 4.

Did Markus naslund play with a Troy Brouwer? I just want to see what SB does with better line mates for a while. He should be straw stirring the drink I know. But a little more time is needed.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #2944
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Except she isn't providing any update and literally used the word "news". Just seems like a strange thing to tweet to me.
It's social media journalism so you come back and consume her tweets. If she said injury update she wouldn't get as much traffic. Therefore, it's not really news in the way people expect.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #2945
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Todd Bertuzzi. Boom.

18 goals in his 1st year
10 goals in his 2nd
13 goals in his 3rd
8 goals in a shortened 4th season
25 in his 5th
25 in his 6th
36 in his 7th
46 in his 8th

And Bertuzzi played a power game much like Bennett does.

Development isn't always linear. Just because a player struggles in his early 20's does not mean he's doomed. That's reality. There's really endless examples of players who broke out in their mid 20's. Just because Bennett went high and entered the NHL early does not mean he can't be one of them
Mark Scheifele:

12-13: 4 games, 0 goals
13-14: 63 games, 13 goals
14-15: 82 games, 15 goals
15-16: 71 games, 29 goals
16-17: 79 games, 32 goals
17-18: 60 games, 23 goals

His line-mates when he's been producing at a 30 goal or better pace have been pretty darn good too (Wheeler).

People need to relax and take their time with Sam. He has a really high ceiling, but it might take him some time to reach it. In the interim, you have a player who puts it on the line for his teammates, chips in, and by all accounts is a good guy in the locker room. When he figures it out, I'd rather him be on the Flames than on a different team. It's not like his next contract is going to be a blockbuster or anything.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #2946
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patience is a good point. Bennett was born in 1996, he is the third youngest player on the team after Tkachuk and Hanifin. So far as I am concerned 22 is still a baby in the NHL, the average age for skaters after all is 27.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 09-18-2018 at 02:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #2947
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Mark Scheifele:

12-13: 4 games, 0 goals
13-14: 63 games, 13 goals
14-15: 82 games, 15 goals
15-16: 71 games, 29 goals
16-17: 79 games, 32 goals
17-18: 60 games, 23 goals
How has Mark Scheifele regressed?

He went from having his cup of coffee to a 40 point player in his rookie season, to a 50 point player in his sophomore, to 60 points and finally he's been a PPG for the last 2 years. He's the poster boy of linear progression.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #2948
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd say Bennett has 2 seasons to prove that he can be a top 6 player. If not then he becomes pretty replaceable and likely becomes a journeyman depth guy then PTO unless he can excel in one area (pk, pp, 2 way play). Right now he's not particularly good in any area and just shows flashes of skill.

It's just the way the league is now. You have to show you can be of value to a team trying to win, for forwards usually by 25. Some don't even get that long.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-18-2018 at 03:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #2949
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
How has Mark Scheifele regressed?

He went from having his cup of coffee to a 40 point player in his rookie season, to a 50 point player in his sophomore, to 60 points and finally he's been a PPG for the last 2 years. He's the poster boy of linear progression.
maybe I missed something, but where does it say he regressed?
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #2950
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
maybe I missed something, but where does it say he regressed?
That was the question being asked. Examples of players who regressed from their rookie season to their fourth year. Bertuzzi was a great example. Schefeile was just a random NHL player.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #2951
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That was the question being asked. Examples of players who regressed from their rookie season to their fourth year. Bertuzzi was a great example. Schefeile was just a random NHL player.
i think Schefeile was thrown out to show it took him to year 4 to really break out as an example of pays to be patient
Old 09-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #2952
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
i think Schefeile was thrown out to show it took him to year 4 to really break out as an example of pays to be patient
Correct.

And to show that progression in the league varies from player to player, and a large part of it has to do with the situations the players are put in (line mates, ice time, responsibility).

We've treated Sam Bennett as a third liner. And he's produced like a third liner. Stay tuned for more shocking news at 11.

If we want to see progression in his stats, he needs more offensive opportunities. That means 2nd line power play at a minimum, competent line mates, and more 5v5 ice time. Does he have to earn it, of course. But that is such a chicken and egg situation as well. There's been plenty of analysis that shows his 5v5 scoring rates are actually pretty good, and if not for some poor shooting statistics and having to drag around the shell of former 20 goal scorer Troy Brouwer, he'd likely be right where we expected him to be.

This isn't Curtis Lazar we're talking about. Bennett has plenty of untapped potential, he just needs to be given a chance to realize it.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #2953
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't Curtis Lazar we're talking about. Bennett has plenty of untapped potential, he just needs to be given a chance to realize it.
You remember that Curtis Lazar was a first round selection also right? And he’s only 1 year older than Sam. Sometimes players just don’t pan out. Not that I think Sam won’t. Just saying.

Last edited by gilligans_off; 09-18-2018 at 05:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilligans_off For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #2954
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct.
But no one is arguing that late bloomers don't exist. We all know they do. There's a stark difference between a late bloomer, of which there is a thousand of examples, and a player who's best season four years into his career was a sub-20 goal rookie season and he regressed each year after. It's the regression that people are concerned about. The same way Flames fans were mocking Yakupov after he regressed three years straight - and how did that turn out for the Oilers? Bertuzzi was an example that provided "hope" and made sense to the specific request.
Quote:
And to show that progression in the league varies from player to player, and a large part of it has to do with the situations the players are put in (line mates, ice time, responsibility).
Being realistic, there's far far far more examples of players that never meet or come close to expectations if they haven't come close after his fourth season in the NHL. For every St. Louis, there is thirty players who remain busts. (And even St. Louis was a 70 point player in his fourth NHL year)
Quote:
We've treated Sam Bennett as a third liner. And he's produced like a third liner. Stay tuned for more shocking news at 11.
Sam Bennett also looked like a third liner, hence the treatment. Even when he plays wing and the poor winger depth of Flames old, he never showed that he should have been given more opportunity. A player that looked like a third liner, played like a third liner, ending up as a third liner, even more shocking news to come at 11....

I don't think it's a stretch to consider this the most important year for Bennett's development as a Flames player. With some actual depth, (hopefully), if he doesn't progress, there's not much reason for the Flames to keep him around.

And as mentioned, Lazar was the top prospect for the Senators at one point, ahead of Stone. They had nearly as much expectation for him as we did for Bennett.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #2955
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Being realistic, there's far far far more examples of players that never meet or come close to expectations if they haven't come close after his fourth season in the NHL. For every St. Louis, there is thirty players who remain busts. (And even St. Louis was a 70 point player in his fourth NHL year)
I actually agree with many of your points. this is becoming a big year for Bennett. at some point for top 5 picks, excuses need to go away (mind you I'm still firmly in the camp that he can be a useful player to us even if he never ends up being what he was projected to be)
but just regarding St. Louis (and no at this point Bennett isn't going to have a HOF career like MSL) , he was 27 years old in that 70 point season
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #2956
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Sam Bennett been fired into the sun yet?

Just waiting here to get upset he's gone.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #2957
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett had a great rookie season, followed by a terrible sophomore seasoned, followed by a great season with excellent progression last season that was destroyed by terrible (and I mean terrible) puck luck.

Bennett made huge strides last season from 2016-17 but was only of the unluckiest players in the league statistically.

People need to calm their ****
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #2958
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett had a great rookie season, followed by a terrible sophomore seasoned, followed by a great season with excellent progression last season that was destroyed by terrible (and I mean terrible) puck luck.

Bennett made huge strides last season from 2016-17 but was only of the unluckiest players in the league statistically.

People need to calm their ****
Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #2959
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligans_off View Post
You remember that Curtis Lazar was a first round selection also right? And he’s only 1 year older than Sam. Sometimes players just don’t pan out. Not that I think Sam won’t. Just saying.
Bennett, while being younger than Lazar, had more than twice as many points as him while suffering from a shooting percentage half of the average of the rest of his NHL career.

At this point, they're in no way comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I actually agree with many of your points. this is becoming a big year for Bennett. at some point for top 5 picks, excuses need to go away (mind you I'm still firmly in the camp that he can be a useful player to us even if he never ends up being what he was projected to be)
but just regarding St. Louis (and no at this point Bennett isn't going to have a HOF career like MSL) , he was 27 years old in that 70 point season
His draft position is no longer relevant, the only thing that matters is what he brings to the team. He is no more or less valuable to the team than a college free agent signing with similar skills and production, and we should evaluate him similarly. Imagine if Foo (who is two years older) had made the team last year and scored 26 points while playing with the likes of Brouwer. Would we be out there with pitchforks calling for him to be traded?

As you wrote, he can be useful to the team regardless of whether he reaches his projected ceiling. I love the fact that 2/3 of our forwards are natural centres, it provides more lineup options and allows us to ice the best available players, regardless of forward position, even in the when the inevitable injuries occur.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-18-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #2960
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ahhh good. Another Sam Bennett thread...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread