Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #1281
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Most dramatic post I've seen in awhile. Do you find you say "I can't even" a lot?

I think it's not dramatic enough.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #1282
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the biggest problem with the new terminal is that its an international terminal. More specifically, connections.

By itself, its an average, new building that adds capacity. The shopping /call to gate is cheesy and the lack of gate seating is fixable. But when a large percentage of the traffic is connecting domestically, it becomes a bad design.

Why not a multi terminal setup like Toronto? With domestic and international/transborder in the same terminal. Then group the gates by codeshare and same company connections.

Its not a disaster by any means. But I think anyone who has paid significant amounts of AIFs has a right to be a little grumpy.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #1283
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Likely not. Just long enough to choke NewLeaf out of the market, and then can them after this season.
Lame, I had a flight booked with newleaf and now have to go with westjet for $400 dollars more.

Better get refunded quickly
Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #1284
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apologies if this has been posted, but found an interesting article on airport design and it seems that maybe this isn't a problem unique to Calgary.

I've also been wondering why they went with a local architecture firm with minimal airport experience (at least from perusing their website) rather than a big international major with a stronger pedigree.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #1285
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I've also been wondering why they went with a local architecture firm with minimal airport experience (at least from perusing their website) rather than a big international major with a stronger pedigree.
Do you want another Peace Bridge debate?
Because that's how you get another Peace Bridge debate.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #1286
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary Airport Authority should have read this blog post before designing the new terminal. http://www.askthepilot.com/essaysand...with-airports/
Old 01-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #1287
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Do you want another Peace Bridge debate?
Because that's how you get another Peace Bridge debate.
We should have bought 80 Peace bridges instead of the new terminal!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #1288
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There have been a few reports of the call to gate signage not updating when it should be, and simply saying "wait, relax, and enjoy". Then jumping to "final call". I'm waiting for someone to miss a flight due to the signage not being updated. If that made the news, it wouldn't help the CTG fight.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #1289
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Calgary International Airport - New Terminal, Runway, Control Tower

I flew out of the new international terminal this weekend. Customs is much better and so is security. I think it's an upgrade ... it is pretty annoying to fly into domestically though. Came in from Toronto and mtl into the new terminal and it's a bit of a half finished cluster#### to get your bags. If you're with westjet, you have to walk all be way to the A carousel
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #1290
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
There have been a few reports of the call to gate signage not updating when it should be, and simply saying "wait, relax, and enjoy". Then jumping to "final call". I'm waiting for someone to miss a flight due to the signage not being updated. If that made the news, it wouldn't help the CTG fight.
Almost happened to me at Heathrow in T5. I was waiting for a connection back home on BA, sitting patiently in the CTG area. Flight time kept getting closer and closer, no idea of what gate to even head towards. Suddenly, 10 min before flight - final call at infield gate XX. Which means I had to sprint to the underground transit to the infield gates, miss a tram that was completely stuffed, get on next tram barely. Get to infield gates and bust ass to the gate, was the last one on the flight. To this day I have no idea how everyone else knew to get there before me, I was watching the board like a hawk. (Just wanted to get home to family after weeks away working)
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #1291
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skip to 6:25 for a bit of an adventure in IFP for these vloggers a couple days ago when their WS transborder cancelled, everyone then has to clear Canada customs despite not going anywhere (not a fault of IFP)

They're seasoned travellers and still went to the domestic check-in kiosks before being directed down to IFP. I was in the terminal yesterday and the signage seems reasonably clear to me that US/int'l is down at the other end.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #1292
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flew in and out of the international terminal for the first time over the holidays. Loved it. Huge improvement going through customs both ways. My kids loved it too, but they seem to like all things Canadian. Saddledome is my sons favorite arena.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #1293
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
They're seasoned travellers and still went to the domestic check-in kiosks before being directed down to IFP. I was in the terminal yesterday and the signage seems reasonably clear to me that US/int'l is down at the other end.
I bet that happens to a lot of people who are dropping off cars. When you walk inside the terminal from the car rental area, WestJet is right there in front of them.

That was actual a pretty fun video. I like seeing local stuff from the perspective of visitors.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #1294
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "don't sit - shop instead!" experiment is obviously not going over well. More seating coming :

https://twitter.com/flyyyc/status/819323764324216833
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #1295
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a designer I'm just fascinated by the failures in the design of the new terminal. I just wonder who the decision makers were, and how the end product falls so short of serving it's users and stakeholders.

From what I've read the layout is almost hostile to the travelling public, with little thought put into the actual use. From the lack of people moving to the ridiculously short sighted "call to gate" system that just encourages shopping.

But when your anchor tenant (WestJet) is publicly saying "this isn't meeting our business needs" it's a whole new layer to the onion.

Quote:
Yedlin: New international terminal at YYC falls short of its peers
Fewer ‘trisector’ or multi-purpose gates — there’s now only four from the previous 11 — will affect fleet utilization, an issue of particular concern to WestJet.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...t-of-its-peers

Last edited by Regular_John; 01-12-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #1296
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
As a designer I'm just fascinated by the failures in the design of the new terminal. I just wonder who the decision makers were, and how the end product falls so short of serving it's users and stakeholders.

From what I've read the layout is almost hostile to the travelling public, with little thought put into the actual use. From the lack of people moving to the ridiculously short sighted "call to gate" system that just encourages shopping.

But when your anchor tenant (WestJet) is publicly saying "this isn't meeting our business needs" it's a whole new layer to the onion.
Yeah but all the A380s that will be coming in and all that nonsense. It had to be designed this way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #1297
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The "don't sit - shop instead!" experiment is obviously not going over well. More seating coming :

What a complete cluster**** this is turning into. People need to be held accountable for this.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #1298
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
What a complete cluster**** this is turning into. People need to be held accountable for this.
They already have a new CEO. Old guy probably left because he knew this was a half baked massive expansion.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #1299
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I guess the dream of a lowering of the "Airport Improvement Fee" is out the window, with that money needed to fix up this debacle.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #1300
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Seriously, who buys anything at an airport besides a coffee or an overpriced bag of chips. "OOOOOOOH! Look, I mug that says I heart YYC for only $35!"

It boggles my mind that anyone actually buys anything at all in an airport besides an absolute life dependent necessity you forgot and cannot complete the current leg of your travel without.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc