Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Even with the Vegas low tax-rate, this would be a steal. I'm expecting full NMC (in a year when possible and a handshake agreement not to be moved until then) but I would have put him at 8x8 if he wanted it. Very solid deal for Vegas, unfortunately for them they are still burden with other high contracts.
Am I in the minority in thinking that this deal only looks good RELATIVE to the other deals recently made?

$6 million might be close, but 8 years is way too much. They guy has essentially one obvious outlier year, and one decent year in his career. You are signing this guy until he’s 34? Insanity.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Am I in the minority in thinking that this deal only looks good RELATIVE to the other deals recently made?.
That's how the league (and world) work. If every other player of Karlsson's ilk is getting 8M+ and he's signing for under 6M, the contract is a steal.

He's not being paid as a 43 goal scorer, his outlier season, that much is clear. Hayes just made 7M+ with 19 goals.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

really good deal considering Kevin Hayes got 7m

GMs with good young RFAs are celebrating right now.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That's how the league (and world) work. If every other player of Karlsson's ilk is getting 8M+ and he's signing for under 6M, the contract is a steal.

He's not being paid as a 43 goal scorer, his outlier season, that much is clear. Hayes just made 7M+ with 19 goals.
The contract isn’t a steal if it ends up crippling the team in the end, which this contract would likely do.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

First, that's not necessarily true even if that was the case. If you get 5 or 6 great years because of a contract and only one or two bad years, it could still be a steal.

But in 8 years, Karlsson would still be on the good side of 34 and the salary cap will be 100M. 6M will be the equivalent of a solid third liner by that point, hardly a cap that will handcuff a team.

Not to mention a team is still trying to win, Karlsson will give them a better chance in the 8 years than not signing anyone because you don't want to pay market value for players (or below in this case).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #26
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The contract isn’t a steal if it ends up crippling the team in the end, which this contract would likely do.

Most long term contracts won’t look good at the end.

That’s the cost of playing this game in a cap world.

Sure Vegas would have rather had a 5 year contract for $6M, but that wasn’t going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #27
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember folks, he broke out at 24 but Sam Bennett is a bust and has reached his full potential according to some.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #28
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Remember folks, he broke out at 24 but Sam Bennett is a bust and has reached his full potential according to some.
Karlsson is much more cerebral than Bennett, he's more like Backlund. Bennett is a completely different style of player. He's a checker that thinks he's a scorer, but that has been changing. He really embraced his role mid way through the year I thought, but to think he will suddenly break out into a true top 6 guy is expecting too much. He's a jack of all trades checker. Can give you a little of everything, but I doubt he ever becomes even a consistent 20/20 guy. Still a valuable piece to have around though, a good 3LW.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #29
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Don't forget Derek Ryan broke out at age 30 - so no passing judgement for another 7 years!
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #30
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nevada and its income tax rules (there are none) gives Karlsson more take home $ while keeping the cap number good for the team.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: