Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #321
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

SharePod worked for my parents
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #322
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
Need some help. My Laptop has died and well I didn't have a recent backup. My music isn't "purchased" through Itunes. Anyone recommend a good software that can pull music off my IPhone?
Detune worked for me and it's free.

http://www.headlightsoft.com/detune/
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CKPThunder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #323
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I said that those with an ecosystem (ie: Amazon, Barnes & Noble) sell their devices at near break even in order to push their entertainment libraries. Apple doesn't have to sell at break even and they still make incredible amounts of money off itunes and app sales. The worst off are companies like Acer, ASUS, etc. There are always rumors they are going to get out of netbooks or they will be squeezed out of the tablet market, etc. since they don't have an ecosystem to sell and don't have that secondary revenue stream aside from the gross margins at retail for their hardware.
At the top you mention that electronics company struggle at a 1-5% margin while Apple receives up to 35%. On a $499 tablet, a company like Asus, HP, RIM, Acer etc... are paying close to $470 to manufacture their tablets while Apple some how can make them for $320 or so. How is this possible?
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #324
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
At the top you mention that electronics company struggle at a 1-5% margin while Apple receives up to 35%. On a $499 tablet, a company like Asus, HP, RIM, Acer etc... are paying close to $470 to manufacture their tablets while Apple some how can make them for $320 or so. How is this possible?
Apple gets significantly cheaper parts due to the volume!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #325
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Apple gets significantly cheaper parts due to the volume!
Not in the way we traditionally think, I don't think. I doubt Apple gets substantial discounts on their parts, since the supplier margins have to be pretty tight as well. But, Apple leverages their vast cash reserves to buy massive quantities of available supply on guaranteed Apple-exclusive contracts, and I think that makes the remaining supply of parts far more expensive for other manufacturers. There have frequently been stories about shortages of mobile sized LCD panels and solid state storage, both of which can be attributed to Apple monopolizing purchasing.

As consumers, we saw the same effect when the hard drive manufacturing sector got hit - since most drives go to the big manufactures first on their guaranteed contracts, we had to pay more to fight for the scraps left over in the supply chain.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #326
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sadly, the percentage of people who would really vote with their wallet based on ethical concerns is extremely low.
http://gizmodo.com/5883707/tiny-foxc...ul-apple-store

If you weren't looking for it, you'd would've only seen the usual commuter hell. But the protestors showed up. Four of them.

(Man, occupy Calgary was more legit than this. )
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #327
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was looking for a simple USB gamepad (think ps1 or snes style) for my mac so my kid and I can play lego star wars together. Most of these say PC only, but if it's USB shouldn't it work with a mac anyways?

just wanted to know if other people have tried using a usb gamepad on a mac and the success rate anyways.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #328
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
I was looking for a simple USB gamepad (think ps1 or snes style) for my mac so my kid and I can play lego star wars together. Most of these say PC only, but if it's USB shouldn't it work with a mac anyways?

just wanted to know if other people have tried using a usb gamepad on a mac and the success rate anyways.
Should work fine, and if it doesn't, or you can't map all of the buttons, USB Overdrive (third party USB util) will more than meet your needs and allow you to fully customize it.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #329
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Mountain Lion announced. Features (from http://www.macworld.com/article/1654...in_lion.html):

Quote:
Like Lion, Mountain Lion offers numerous feature additions that will be familiar to iOS users. This OS X release continues Apple’s philosophy of bringing iOS features “back to the Mac,” and includes iMessage, Reminders, Notes, Notification Center, Twitter integration, Game Center, and AirPlay Mirroring.
Looks pretty awesome. Thoughts?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #330
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

imessage, airplay and notifications are welcome additions. Always wondered why texting was limited to computers.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #331
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airplay is gonna be crap because I'm sure they'll disallow you from playing "your" videos on your TV
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #332
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If they can make it actual mirroring then I may have to get an apple tv. How is mirroring of the ipad 2 work? Do they limit what mirrors
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #333
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Airplay is gonna be crap because I'm sure they'll disallow you from playing "your" videos on your TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
If they can make it actual mirroring then I may have to get an apple tv. How is mirroring of the ipad 2 work? Do they limit what mirrors
Mirroring is not limited as far as I can tell. You should be able to send any video playing on your computer to the screen. Could be wrong, I'm just leaning that way because that's how the iPad 2/iPhone 4S works. This makes the possible new Apple TV (update to the little black box, not an actual television) announcement next month pretty interesting.

If anybody wants to try out the Messages beta, here's the link: http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain...messages-beta/

Last edited by Russic; 02-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #334
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you think this?

Especially since I already play "my" videos via AirPlay.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 02-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #335
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How are they going to do that?

I believe anything in itunes if fair game and we all know that anything can be added to itunes.

Where is the problem?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #336
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

hey guys, Just wondering if the iphone 4 works without getting a data plan? my brother is thinking of buying one from his buddy and is just thinking of using wifi to get emails, dl apps etc. he is with rogers
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #337
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
hey guys, Just wondering if the iphone 4 works without getting a data plan? my brother is thinking of buying one from his buddy and is just thinking of using wifi to get emails, dl apps etc. he is with rogers
Kinda sounds like he may be a better candidate for the iPod Touch. That would save a significant amount of money.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #338
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
How are they going to do that?

I believe anything in itunes if fair game and we all know that anything can be added to itunes.

Where is the problem?
nah not everything can be added to iTunes without conversion.

But from What I've read, its an API so just like iOS 5 i bet any app can add the ability to do it. and you can also mirror the whole screen
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #339
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I already have Mountain Lion installed. AirPlay mirrors your screen, not your content. It doesn't really matter what's actually on the screen.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #340
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I'm a bit new to the Mac world, how does the upgrade process (namely: cost) work? I bought a Macbook Air in November or so and it came with Lion pre-installed.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote