Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which jersey number should be retired?
#2 - MacInnis 50 32.68%
#5 - Giordano 44 28.76%
#10 - Roberts 2 1.31%
#13 - Gaudreau 0 0%
#14 - Fleury 30 19.61%
#25 - Nieuwendyk 19 12.42%
#34 - Kiprusoff 99 64.71%
Somebody else not in the poll 0 0%
Nobody for now 18 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2022, 11:33 PM   #41
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to see Kipper retired. But I'm fine with keeping our retirements exclusive.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:13 AM   #42
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mods, can we make this a poll using the selections in the OP?
Old 08-16-2022, 01:59 AM   #43
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Al Macinnis should have had his numbered retired. Otherwise I'm fine with retirements as is

Of note, Joe Mullen was also seemingly integral, both in the 85-86 run and the 88-89 run. I'm always surprised he doesn't get any consideration. Maybe someone can explain that to me.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Al Macinnis should have had his numbered retired. Otherwise I'm fine with retirements as is

Of note, Joe Mullen was also seemingly integral, both in the 85-86 run and the 88-89 run. I'm always surprised he doesn't get any consideration. Maybe someone can explain that to me.
Probably games played ... only 345 which is basically four seasons.

they made a bit of an exception with McDonald as he was just under 500, but I'd assume you need more tenure to get retired as a rule.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #45
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
We are too young of a franchise to have so many numbers retired.

Clubs should have a ring of honour (like what the Canucks have) for long time greats or long serving members, like Backlund, Regehr, Giordano, etc.

Retirements are for very special players. So special that they were often considered the best at their position league wide for multiple years, or have become iconic in some other way.

The Flames should only have three retired shirts: #12, #2, #9.

Flames that should be in a ring of honour type of program: #25, #34, #5, #14, #30, #11, #28, potentially #23 if he recovers and sticks around. Johnny gets no such legacy as he left early.
This is pretty much accurate. You could probably add a couple more guys from the 80s in the second category. Mix in another #12 or something. I always thought just for playing his entire career here and basically being the face of the first generation of Allum Pepper could be on the wall of honour.

For Reggie you can't look at stats you have to look at impact over 900 games, and the path he took to the NHL.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #46
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I suspect that #14 will eventually be retired, but only after Theo passes away.

This is not what I think should happen. It's only my prediction.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:19 AM   #47
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Man alive are jersey retirement requests ever WAY over done. If you’re looking to retire the jerseys of 6 players you’ve seen in your lifetime then you better have been to a handful of cup parades. That they were a part of.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #48
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding is that he didn't want his number retired by the Flames. He fancies himself more of a Blue.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought Loob merited more conversation/consideration. Only played for the Flames, 50 goal man, Cup Champion, huge international star. If he had stayed 3-4 more years probably a shoe in? Though at that phase if the Flames he probably would been traded off for next to nothing just like Joey Mullen.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #50
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
13 johnny gaudreau,

"i'll see myself out"
fyp
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #51
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Fleury had a short window after his comeback attempt and subsequent retirement, when the wave of fan nostalgia, and his personal life seemed positive. Reconciliation was in the air.

It was quickly derailed by his badmouthing of the organization, and I can't blame CSEC for pulling back.

Now I can't see it happening given his dark turn in recent years. The number 14 will continue to be out of circulation for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-16-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I continue to think that if the Flames called Theo and said “we want to have a retirement/FAF ceremony” he’d ask how much they would pay him to be there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #53
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Mods, can we make this a poll using the selections in the OP?
Sure, poll added. Just noticed I left Regehr off from your OP, sorry. Multiple choices allowed.

Personally I'm not a fan of retiring jerseys unless it's a no-brainer. A guy like Gio who we all loved really didn't accomplish that much besides his Norris. Fleury was my favorite player growing up but with all the behind the scenes stuff with him I don't see it happening.

I chose nobody for now. Waiting for a no-doubter in the future.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #54
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mullen's tenure was too short, I do think he gets forgotten around here sometimes , or less well known amongst the younger set- he was a very famous player and well liked during his tenure here

I think you can make the argument that the "Mullen"-era from when he arrived for the playoff stretch in 86 through his premature transaction in 90 was the most successful in Flames history and he was the 'biggest' star of those teams (though those teams were stacked and different guys were the best player in any given year, MacInnis was probably the 'best player' in total from 86-90, but I think Joey was a bit more if not famous, touted by the average fan. that is my recollection)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #55
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipper is my only choice. Among the most talented and impactful players the franchise has ever had, and he basically played his whole meaningful part of his career with the Flames and retired a Flame.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Mullen's tenure was too short, I do think he gets forgotten around here sometimes , or less well known amongst the younger set- he was a very famous player and well liked during his tenure here

I think you can make the argument that the "Mullen"-era from when he arrived for the playoff stretch in 86 through his premature transaction in 90 was the most successful in Flames history and he was the 'biggest' star of those teams (though those teams were stacked and different guys were the best player in any given year, MacInnis was probably the 'best player' in total from 86-90, but I think Joey was a bit more if not famous, touted by the average fan. that is my recollection)
You could make very good arguments that a lot of Flames were more important to team success than Lanny. I suppose Lanny had the advantage of retiring as a Flame whereas Mullen, Macinnis and Gilmour went on to have significant success on other teams.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are a few criteria.

1. Primary success and tenure is with the team.

2. Someone the franchise is comfortable with being an ambassador for the team "forever".

3. A player who wants to be an ambassador for the team.

All three need to be slam dunks. I am glad that a jersey retirement is such a big deal in Calgary, and is more of a once in a generation sort of thing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #58
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipper is my only choice - could of gone to the Leafs to finish his career but chose to retire as a Flames. Best goalie Flames have had since Mike Vernon back in the late 80's. He's a legend, like Iggy. In addition, as others have mentioned, Fleury should have his number retired and hanging up in the Saddledome.

Last edited by CSharp; 08-16-2022 at 12:19 PM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #59
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I continue to think that if the Flames called Theo and said “we want to have a retirement/FAF ceremony” he’d ask how much they would pay him to be there.
And that would be a shame. Based on his behaviour likely will not be retired until after he passes away and that is crappy as his number should've been retired so many years ago.

Was my favourite player growing up showing that a short, feisty, highly skilled player could compete against all the large players.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #60
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You could make very good arguments that a lot of Flames were more important to team success than Lanny. I suppose Lanny had the advantage of retiring as a Flame whereas Mullen, Macinnis and Gilmour went on to have significant success on other teams.
Oh I think that is definitely true. Lanny came over as real name brand superstar, many Calgary fans would know him well from his tenure with the Leafs, one of the few teams we could watch on TV all the time in the 70s. a local Alberta guy, with a larger than life personality and a long term presence in the community.

the 66 goal season was massive but by the time the team was making real noise he was a secondary part (the 86 team- although he and Tonelli and Riser were a great trio) and then a tertiary part in 89

I don't question the jersey retirement but in terms of on ice performance as a Flame he's further down the list
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote