Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #61
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Think of it this way. If there is an outbreak on TEam Sweden. CAlgary could be without Lindholm, Backlund Andersson and Markstrom for the first few weeks back. With those guys not even able to skate or go to the gym they would be behind the 8-ball.

Essentially the Flames would lose 4 top players for the stretch run to the playoffs.
Sadly, People can probably get behind this reasoning more than the Chinese treatment of their civilians
Old 12-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #62
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Not sure he does, the two Micheals suffered alot, wonder if they will watch the Olympics.

Values trump sports

After all the crap that the Chinese Communist party has done lately, we should be taking every opportunity to screw them over.

Hold the Olympics in some manner, else where or at multiple locations, it can be done
Sarcasm is a fickle mistress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #63
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
This is a fair point, pretty hard to avoid buying goods from China. I would say our family try’s to make good buying decisions by purchasing items from companies working to reduce their environmental and social impacts but it’s definitely tough. Everything comes from China!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't found it that hard actually. It's really only electronics, and even there buying things that were assembled elsewhere does the important part of a boycott, which is limiting profits.

It wouldn't take that big of a boycott, relatively speaking, to affect things. If, say, Samsung and Sony gain a few extra points of market share because they're not made in China, even if it's just in smartphones, it would immediately be entered into corporate calculations about where the next plants are going to be built or the next production lines get set up, because that's a lot of money and corporations chase even small increases in profits and market shares without mercy.

Bleeding hearts of the wealthy west make up enough of the market to potentially make an impact in this stuff.

It's why I take every chance I have to mention it.

You don't have to do a perfecr boycott, just do your best, and talk about it, and we'll see where it goes.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #64
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
what has changed since they negotiated the deal to go? China was the same then as it is now
COVID. Even though it existed when the deal was negotiated, everyone thought the restrictions would mostly be over or significantly reduced by now.

Even though a lot of people in this thread are talking about the politics of the situation, whether the NHL goes or not will have absolutely nothing to do with China's politics.

It's all about the concern over what COVID restrictions will be in place during the Olympics, both at the venues and the athlete's village, as well as how much freedom the players will have in their free time.

No one wants to have a positive test the day before they're supposed to fly home and then be quarantined for a mandatory 3 weeks all alone in China.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #65
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Sadly, People can probably get behind this reasoning more than the Chinese treatment of their civilians
So true.

The players in multiple north american leagues have repeatedly focused on social change, black lives matter.etc IT WAS THE players that took the first step in bringing about awareness about these important social issues, using their popularity as a platform.

Now players are going to completely turn a 180 and turn a blind eye to the absolute evils this communist government is doing.What a bunch of hypocrisy.

To each his own, but I will not watch one second of these broadcasted games
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
They are already playing in arenas with 20,000 people in them here, is Chinese Covid more deadly? What risks will they be exposed to that they aren't already.
You are missing the point...positive test would result in 3 weeks stuck in China
Old 12-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Think of it this way. If there is an outbreak on TEam Sweden. CAlgary could be without Lindholm, Backlund Andersson and Markstrom for the first few weeks back. With those guys not even able to skate or go to the gym they would be behind the 8-ball.

Essentially the Flames would lose 4 top players for the stretch run to the playoffs.
Outbreak on team Canada and team Germany wouldn't be the worst thing
Old 12-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #68
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, no one in China is suffering at all.

Smfh
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #69
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who cares? Didn't watch the last Chinese Olympics and won't watch these ones . Okay maybe the gold medal game. Waiting 4 years for a best on best tournament is goofy, should be a world cup of hockey every season in Europe or North America.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #70
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Sarcasm is a fickle mistress.
You laid it on pretty thick.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #71
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Wasn't Olympic participation negotiated in the return to play agreement?

Not really against it. I love top tier Olympic hockey, but screw the Chinese government.
Took exactly one post for someone to sum up my sentiments exactly...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #72
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They held the Euro tournament with much higher profile athletes taking part this year. The risk was there for Covid outbreaks. Christian Eriksen almost died on the pitch playing for Denmark. I bet his club team wished they didn't let him play for his country.

Players WANT to play for their national teams in all sports. I just wish Hockey had something like the World Cup that took place after the club seasons come to a close.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #73
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I suppose you were just as supportive of Nazi Germany holding the games back in the day as well.

Yup seems fine
The biggest loser of a boycott of Hitler’s Olympics would’ve been Jesse Owens.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #74
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You are missing the point...positive test would result in 3 weeks stuck in China
And a player confined to a small room for that period of time won't exactly be in game shape once they return. Physically or mentally.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #75
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The biggest loser of a boycott of Hitler’s Olympics would’ve been Jesse Owens.
If the world had taken Hitler seriously enough to boycott his Olympics in 1936, they would probably have been serious enough not to write him a blank cheque at Munich in 1938. Jesse Owens could easily have won his gold medals at Helsinki in 1940.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #76
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
NHL players have trained for several years to go to the Beijing Olympics?

This is not political, this is about 3 week quarantine rules if they catch covid over there.
Yah, I wasn't talking about just NHL Players - I can give a rats ass about pro players going there. It's the amateur athletes who have been training for years to see politicians ruining it for them.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #77
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
what has changed since they negotiated the deal to go? China was the same then as it is now
Rewinding all the way back to May/June 2020, I think the expectations were that things would either be:

- a lot better and close to life as normal, or
- bad enough that 'hockey as normal' would be an obvious non-starter
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
If the world had taken Hitler seriously enough to boycott his Olympics in 1936, they would probably have been serious enough not to write him a blank cheque at Munich in 1938. Jesse Owens could easily have won his gold medals at Helsinki in 1940.
Winning Olympic medals is hard. Especially since there were no Olympics in 1940.

All Western nations were racist towards blacks in the first half of the 20th century. Some more than others.

Jesse Owens winning in the most racist of all Western nations was a huge statement, bigger than sports.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #79
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Winning Olympic medals is hard. Especially since there were no Olympics in 1940.
There were no Olympics in 1940 because the world didn't take Hitler seriously until it was too late. Apparently you completely missed the point of my post.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #80
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not interested in arguing history right now, but forces were already in motion by 1936 that made global conflict inevitable.