Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #4001
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No Way Home is killing it critically.

Was 100% fresh through the first 60 or 70 reviews. Respectably high average review score as well.

Listening to some of my favorite critics, sounds like there is going to be massive payoff for long time fans. That two day wait between reviews being released and going to the theater hasn't been this painful since the force awakens.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #4002
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Yea sorry I should have clarified now that technically there are 3 different Spiderman 2 movies.

The one I watched was the one with Dr.Oc, Maguire and Dunst.
I think the second third Spider-Man movie is sure to be better than the first third one, but the third second one wasn’t as good as the first second (though way better than the second second)
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #4003
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

SM2
SM
FFH
TASM / HC
SM3
TASM2

Yup.. still love the OG Raimiverse. The first two just had two of the greatest villains put on screen. And superhero films are often only as good as their antagonist.

I liked Garfield and Stone a lot in TASM. They might the best SM leads for me. The difference with that series was the writing was a step below Raimiverse and MCU.

LIike the amazing Spider Man 2 was aggressively bad. I'm so glad they changed Foxx' look cause seeing Blue electro again would taint the awesomeness of the new film.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-14-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #4004
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Spider-Man 3 isn’t the worst Spider-Man movie ever made? That’s the worst take I have ever read on this forum, bar none.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #4005
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Spider-Man 3 isn’t the worst Spider-Man movie ever made? That’s the worst take I have ever read on this forum, bar none.
How can you hate the film that birthed Bully Maguire and countless legendary memes?

TASM2 had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

You're lost.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #4006
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ok well if we’re now considering SM3 to be in The Room territory, then I guess. But it’s still the worst movie of the bunch. It’s just so bad it looped back around and became watchable for the laughs.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #4007
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's exactly it: it's The Room of SM. So bad its good. Therefore I can't put it at the bottom.

As someone who has attended a The Room screening with Greg Sestero event, I have a certain level of appreciation for such films. Might not be shared by others.

Today Tobey's emo dance is cherished and celebrated. Sometimes things aren't appreciated until well after their time.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #4008
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Me and my son watched all of them in the last 3 weeks. For me SM3 is the only one I really didn't enjoy, people bash Topher, but I actual found James Franco the worst part of that movie, and didn't particularly like Churches performance either.

HC
SM2
SM
TASM
FFH
TASM2
SM3

HC for the win because Keaton is my favorite villain so far, also I think Liz Allen-Toomes might be the best girlfriend Spidey has had so far, Spiderman stories at their core are about the dealing him trying to maintain normal relationships with his girlfriends while saving the world. SM2 might be a better story, but honestly Tobey just kind of annoys me, and the writing for Dunsts character does not hold up, it's clearly a man writing a damsel in distress in a bad way.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:53 PM   #4009
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Franco did progressively get worse over that trilogy after starting out okay. Which made Tobey using his own bomb against him kind of satisfying.

Keaton was absolutely the best villain since SM2.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:06 AM   #4010
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Franco did progressively get worse over that trilogy after starting out okay. Which made Tobey using his own bomb against him kind of satisfying.

Keaton was absolutely the best villain since SM2.
It was a hard lesson but the Spanish had to learn it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #4011
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just watching the Garfield movies now. I hadn't seen the Maguire trilogy in a long time, it was great. It was like a transitional movie between the grounded 90's effects and the CGI to come. I really enjoyed it all from the nostalgic shots to the music, everything.

The Garfield movies are... a step worse, but still an interesting take.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #4012
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the first Spider-Man and thought it was pretty bad.

The MJ falling in love with Peter Parker and saying Peter had always been there when all he did was creep on her window and not talk to her was essentially an incel fantasy.

The green goblin costume was so bad.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #4013
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Just watched the first Spider-Man and thought it was pretty bad.

The MJ falling in love with Peter Parker and saying Peter had always been there when all he did was creep on her window and not talk to her was essentially an incel fantasy.

The green goblin costume was so bad.

When you're casting Willem Dafoe for a role like the Green Goblin, you're clearly going for an element of camp. I thought they pulled if off just great. That suit is exactly the kind of suit an insane Willem Dafoe would make.

The comics Green Goblin would wear a more life-life mask/costume. That would be pretty difficult to pull off in live action. The more metallic costume was a great design choice. It was a little over the top, without looking totally crazy.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #4014
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It looked too much like a Power Rangers villain for me.

They did an animatronic test head that looked so cool. I would have preferred to see that.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #4015
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
When you're casting Willem Dafoe for a role like the Green Goblin, you're clearly going for an element of camp. I thought they pulled if off just great. That suit is exactly the kind of suit an insane Willem Dafoe would make.

The comics Green Goblin would wear a more life-life mask/costume. That would be pretty difficult to pull off in live action. The more metallic costume was a great design choice. It was a little over the top, without looking totally crazy.
I also thought of the Green Goblin as being similar to the Joker. There has been a number of darker takes on the Joker without his costume being distracting. Make-up instead of a mask would help, but then you couldn't keep it a secret that he was Norman Osborn. Or just go with the Green Arrow hood thing that apparently is as convincing as glasses for a disguise.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #4016
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason I don't really have an issue with the original Green Goblin look is that it had to get translated into the real world somehow. I agree that animatronic head looks amazing, but how does the character get there? Is it a mask? Is it his face now? How can he go between Norman and Goblin if his face s permanently changed?

The 'helmet' is a plausible thing he could have made in a few hours in his lab. But it did neuter Dafoe in those moments. Wish they could have found some sort of solution, tough tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I also thought of the Green Goblin as being similar to the Joker. There has been a number of darker takes on the Joker without his costume being distracting. Make-up instead of a mask would help, but then you couldn't keep it a secret that he was Norman Osborn. Or just go with the Green Arrow hood thing that apparently is as convincing as glasses for a disguise.
This is a good call too. Having his face mostly hidden by a hood, maybe with some pointy ears coming out of it, probably could have worked. You'd still be hiding Dafoe though, although you'd see his mouth and menacing grin, which is why I thought they got him overall.

Last edited by Coach; 12-16-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #4017
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
The reason I don't really have an issue with the original Green Goblin look is that it had to get translated into the real world somehow. I agree that animatronic head looks amazing, but how does the character get there? Is it a mask? Is it his face now? How can he go between Norman and Goblin if his face s permanently changed?

The 'helmet' is a plausible thing he could have made in a few hours in his lab. But it did neuter Dafoe in those moments. Wish they could have found some sort of solution, tough tho.
For sure. It was the most practical way of doing it.

If the movie were made today we'd get a Hulk (Jekyll and Hyde) version of Goblin where he could morph between the two easily.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #4018
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
For sure. It was the most practical way of doing it.

If the movie were made today we'd get a Hulk (Jekyll and Hyde) version of Goblin where he could morph between the two easily.
You could also easily have him in some sort of digital mask ALA Shield agents in the MCU.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #4019
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

And you can't compare that costume to what they are doing now, you need to compare it to what was done at the time. This is coming off the tail end of the Batman movies where everything was a little over the top.

I thought Spider-Man's strength was they did such a great job of grounding the story in reality, while staying true to the source material. That movie came out almost 20 years ago..

The one problem I did have was him punching Doc Oct in the face and it not even phasing him... I mean he does have super strength. And even if he is holding back, why not hold back just enough to knock him out or severely daze him for the advantage? But I digress..
Old 12-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #4020
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel most of the people in here would enjoy this YouTube channel. Two Australian dudes who riff on (mostly) comic and sci-fi movies. They are pretty hilarious and hit a lot of the points we talk about in here. I'm hooked I watch them almost every Monday.