Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #861
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also have been using AntennaPod for years.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #862
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
AntennaPod is open source, non-commercial, and privacy focused:

https://antennapod.org/
I can't seem to "thank" (I am guessing because I changed the email associated with my account), but thank you!

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #863
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Had my annual guys trip party night in Banff on Saturday. My phone was 100% charged when my friend picked me up. Used it a ton texting the group, taking photos and shooting videos. Tapping for credit card, etc. etc. I didn't bring a charger and when I woke up Saturday morning I still had 32% charge. I'm really impressed with that - I'm sure there are even better phones for battery life, but this is the best I've ever had.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #864
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get yourselves a cell phone tripod and try some astrophotography with the p6 pro.

I have an s21 ultra and it blew my mind. The pixel 5 and pixel 6s do image stacking right in the phone so you can snag some epic milky way shots.

Unsure about Northern lights though. S21 ultra doesn't have a pro mode for its hyperlapse feature so you can't boost ISO for low light stuff like that.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #865
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got my Pixel 6, moved from a OnePlus 6 (tried the S20 FE and it was brutal, right back to the OnePlus 6.)

First impressions are pretty good! It's very snappy which is nice but we'll see if it beats out the OnePlus 6 after a couple weeks.

The OnePlus 6 is still the most user friendly phone I've ever used with the rear fingerprint sensor, face unlock and alert slider.

The pixel 6 gestures are growing on me after a day of use so far, way better than the buttons and I could myself never going back to buttons after a week or so. The camera obviously blows the OnePlus out of the water. Having two kids, it didn't take very long for the face unblur to get used.

The pixel also handles two sims much better, and esim through Telus was very painless.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #866
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but best app for listening to podcasts that is not controlled by big tech?
I've always been a fan of PocketCasts. Last I heard they were owned by NPR (National Public Radio) in the US.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:04 PM   #867
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I've always been a fan of PocketCasts. Last I heard they were owned by NPR (National Public Radio) in the US.
NPR recently sold it to the people who own Wordpress. I don’t notice any changes though. It’s still a solid app.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #868
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

gearing up for a phone to replace my pixel 3a during black friday week - thoughts on ZTE Axon 30 vs OnePlus 9 vs Pixel 6?
any recommendations on an android that has a headphone jack (the ones above don't but might consider wireless earbuds)
Old 11-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #869
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
gearing up for a phone to replace my pixel 3a during black friday week - thoughts on ZTE Axon 30 vs OnePlus 9 vs Pixel 6?
any recommendations on an android that has a headphone jack (the ones above don't but might consider wireless earbuds)
Look into the Sony phones. They have the headphone Jack's.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #870
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Got my wife the Pixel 6 and she LOVES it. Has earbuds though which work great.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #871
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Once you go wireless earbuds you never go back. I, too, have long lamented the disappearance of the headphone jack. All the phones should still have it; however, I actually never use it. It is sort of a relic of the past. Wireless buds are where it's at. I have a couple pairs and they're superior to wired in every way. I love them.

If you're married to the idea of wired headphones, just keep this adaptor attached to your headphones and it completely erases the need for the jack. For $10, it opens up the possibility of buying any phone out there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #872
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks! Yea I am thinking either the adapter or watching for a good deal on wireless earbuds. I am between the oneplus 9 and the pixel 6...oneplus may win as there is a black friday sale and not sure if there will be on the pixel. also the oneplus has bundle sale with earbuds
Old 11-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #873
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Pixel Pro 6 arrived yesterday. So far liking it. Coming from a Pixel 4 so getting used to the fingerprint thing against vs face unlock.

Its too bad the 'theme' app icons are really only available on the Google apps as they look pretty good.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #874
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you're married to the idea of wired headphones, just keep this adaptor attached to your headphones and it completely erases the need for the jack. For $10, it opens up the possibility of buying any phone out there.
Sadly these adaptors highlight the weakness of USB-C ports compared to headphone jacks. The port can't handle lots of side to side movement if you're moving the headphone cable around, which is pretty normal if you're wearing headphones and doing...anything? The USB-C port on my Pixel 2 ended up really struggling to keep most charge cables attached by the end of its life because of this.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #875
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Sadly these adaptors highlight the weakness of USB-C ports compared to headphone jacks. The port can't handle lots of side to side movement if you're moving the headphone cable around, which is pretty normal if you're wearing headphones and doing...anything? The USB-C port on my Pixel 2 ended up really struggling to keep most charge cables attached by the end of its life because of this.
Wireless charging.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #876
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Once you go wireless earbuds you never go back. I, too, have long lamented the disappearance of the headphone jack. All the phones should still have it; however, I actually never use it. It is sort of a relic of the past. Wireless buds are where it's at. I have a couple pairs and they're superior to wired in every way. I love them.

The Apple USB C adapter is $9 and has a decent DAC that likely beats any cheap Chinese brand.

I’ve had 3 headphone jacks fail (1 iPhone, 2 Android) but I’ve never had a USB C port die.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #877
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up some Pixel 6 phones for the family for Christmas. I'm tempted to start using mine before Christmas but then I will be constantly asked why I got a new phone. This will be a long month of waiting.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #878
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say you dropped it in water, needed a new phone.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #879
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Say you dropped it in water, needed a new phone.
Dropped his existing waterproof phone in water...
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #880
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I picked up some Pixel 6 phones for the family for Christmas. I'm tempted to start using mine before Christmas but then I will be constantly asked why I got a new phone. This will be a long month of waiting.
you're handing out Pixels for Christmas? can I be part of your family? my delivery date is still Dec 13 but I've been a good boy and would be happy to open my present early too.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: