Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #121
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I say you two actually sound quite alike with your affinity to finishing almost first.
Says the supporter of the team that finished second last year?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #122
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Speaking of which, looks like the team doing that is Bayern.
Wonder if that means a full time move to a more attacking role for Kimmich.

Pavard only wanted to go somewhere where he's promised starting time.

You have Alaba at LB already, Boateng & Hummels pair isn't getting broken up at CB (plus they have Sule as a youngster at CB already).

Kimmich is great at RB but has been open in his desire to play more in a midfield role.

Adding Pavard means they have him to play at RB, and then Kimmich can move into the midfield at times.

I was hoping the Tottenham rumours were true and Pavard would end up there.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

You have Alaba at LB already, Boateng & Hummels pair isn't getting broken up at CB (plus they have Sule as a youngster at CB already).

Kimmich is great at RB but has been open in his desire to play more in a midfield role.

Adding Pavard means they have him to play at RB, and then Kimmich can move into the midfield at times.

Why would you want a good player at Tottenham? That doesnt make any sense but then again I havent really see Pavard's diving skills. Is he any good?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #124
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you want a good player at Tottenham? That doesnt make any sense but then again I havent really see Pavard's diving skills. Is he any good?
I know your comment was a joke but I'm going to respond anyways.

Personally actually think that Spurs are a really good club for young players to develop - way too many young players go to the Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester, Bayern, etc just to sit on the bench.

Spurs is kinda perfect because they are competitive enough that good young players get important playing time both domestically and in international competition, but they don't have the squad depth that you are competing with 2-3 world class players at every position.

I just like to see good young players playing each week - not sitting on the bench.

Plus selfishly as a Spurs fan I think it would have been a really good purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know your comment was a joke but I'm going to respond anyways.

Personally actually think that Spurs are a really good club for young players to develop - way too many young players go to the Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester, Bayern, etc just to sit on the bench.

Spurs is kinda perfect because they are competitive enough that good young players get important playing time both domestically and in international competition, but they don't have the squad depth that you are competing with 2-3 world class players at every position.

I just like to see good young players playing each week - not sitting on the bench.

Plus selfishly as a Spurs fan I think it would have been a really good purchase.
You're dead to me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #126
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

having watched ~30 Stuttgart games these past two years, I can assure you that Pavard is not a right back. He can play there if needed (and it speaks volumes about his quality that he benched a "real" RB like Sidibe at the WC), but his best position is CB and it's not even close. His intelligence, vision and passing range are simply excellent, he's the prototype of a young modern CB.

Boateng is done at this level. If he's still at the club when Pavard arrives in 2019, Boateng will be benched quickly. Heck, he already should be because Süle is better if you ask me.

Heartbreaking that Pavard ends up at Bayern, but what can you do. From Stuttgarts perspective, I hoped there'd be a bidding war this summer, but with Bayern convincing them early to stay another year and then use his release clause, there's nothing they can do.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #127
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're dead to me.
Hey I feel like I did the honorable thing when I picked a Premier League team about 10 years ago. I didn't want to cheer for any of the big 4 since everyone else did.

United - all the bandwagon cheered for them back then so I couldn't jump on that bandwagon (although I do have a soft spot for them because I did like the Class of 92' and the magical comeback against Munich in 99)

Chelsea - was just spending like crazy and couldn't cheer for that (even though they were the one English team where Italian talent would sometimes go).

Arsenal - will always hate because I hated Arsene Wenger and Thierry Henry's stupid faces.

Liverpool - will also always hate them just because I never liked Gerrard or Torres, hated the 3-0 comeback against AC Milan in the CL Finals, and then they went and signed Suarez who was even worse.

And 08/09 was really the first season I started following the EPL seriously. Prior to that I mostly just followed Serie A and the CL - so I disliked most of the big 4 since they were always playing Serie A teams in the CL.

Plus I feel like Spurs were on TV a lot and I liked their style of play - very uptempo. They had Aaron Lennon who was all pace, a little wizard in the midfield by the name of Luka Modric, and this other guy who would come in at LB and just fly up the pitch in Gareth Bale. Plus they had just added Pavlyuchenko who was the Euro 2008 guy who cost too much because of one international tournament.

Then in 09/10 they added goofy bastard Peter Crouch and who didn't like that lanky target man and had a great season to qualify for the CL Play-off spot.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-19-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey I feel like I did the honorable thing when I picked a Premier League team about 10 years ago. I didn't want to cheer for any of the big 4 since everyone else did.

United - all the bandwagon cheered for them back then so I couldn't jump on that bandwagon (although I do have a soft spot for them because I did like the Class of 92')

Chelsea - was just spending like crazy and couldn't cheer for that (even though they were the one English team where Italian talent would sometimes go).

Arsenal - will always hate because I hated Arsene Wenger and Thierry Henry's stupid faces.

Liverpool - will also always hate them just because I never liked Gerrard or Torres, hated the 3-0 comeback against AC Milan in the CL Finals, and then they went and signed Suarez who was even worse.

And 08/09 was really the first season I started following the EPL seriously. Prior to that I mostly just followed Serie A and the CL - so I disliked most of the big 4 since they were always playing Serie A teams in the CL.

Plus I feel like Spurs were on TV a lot and I liked their style of play - very uptempo. They had Aaron Lennon who was all pace, a little wizard in the midfield by the name of Luka Modric, and this other guy who would come in at LB and just fly up the pitch in Gareth Bale. Plus they had just added Pavlyuchenko who was the Euro 2008 guy who cost too much because of one international tournament.

Then in 09/10 they added goofy bastard Peter Crouch and who didn't like that lanky target man and had a great season to qualify for the CL Play-off spot.
Dead. To. Me.

But everybody has to figure out which team they're going to cheer for in their own way and their own time.

But Spurs? Why didnt you just become a West Ham fan, at least then you'd get to blow bubbles in your perpetual disappointment.

Or a Millwall fan! Then you could at least brutally assault your foes with a brick wrapped in newspaper!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #129
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dead. To. Me.

But everybody has to figure out which team they're going to cheer for in their own way and their own time.

But Spurs? Why didnt you just become a West Ham fan, at least then you'd get to blow bubbles in your perpetual disappointment.

Or a Millwall fan! Then you could at least brutally assault your foes with a brick wrapped in newspaper!
I can't wait to see the new stadium opened with a win over you! I just can't decide if another 4-1 embarrassment like we saw last year at Wembley would be more enjoyable than a 2-1 late penalty winner slotted home by Kane.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #130
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dead. To. Me.

It's funny how people pick teams.
When I started following the Premier League it was in the late 90s.
Everyone i knew who watched Premier League was a fan of Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Leeds (as I was in Australia and this was the time of Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka at Leeds)
I picked my team for 2 reasons, a player who caught my eye and the team I picked to play my friends on FIFA when we played on PlayStation.
The player was Gianfranco Zola, the team, Chelsea.
Almost ended up a Newcastle fan due to Shearer...

Now when I say I am a Chelsea fan people groan and talk about the money since Abramovich took over. The irony is I picked them for a player who left as Abramovich came in, and at a time in the late 90s-early 2000s, while they had good teams (Zola, Hasselbaink, Desailly, Lebouef, Wise, Le Saux, Cudicini) they were never the premier league elite.

So I am glad that Zola is back as Sarri's assistant.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #131
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can't wait to see the new stadium opened with a win over you! I just can't decide if another 4-1 embarrassment like we saw last year at Wembley would be more enjoyable than a 2-1 late penalty winner slotted home by Kane.
The 2018 Income Tax Season is going to be glorious. I think my rate is going up $20 for every goal Kane scores off of a dive. I might strike it rich!

Then again, this Liverpool team isnt that Liverpool team, I'm looking forward to making Spurs our bitch in their own stadium.

An appropriate christening of the new stadium. We can even start a new Spurs slogan:

"Crushing disappointment. You should be used to it by now."

Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #132
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
It's funny how people pick teams.
When I started following the Premier League it was in the late 90s.
Everyone i knew who watched Premier League was a fan of Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Leeds (as I was in Australia and this was the time of Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka at Leeds)
I picked my team for 2 reasons, a player who caught my eye and the team I picked to play my friends on FIFA when we played on PlayStation.
The player was Gianfranco Zola, the team, Chelsea.
Almost ended up a Newcastle fan due to Shearer...

Now when I say I am a Chelsea fan people groan and talk about the money since Abramovich took over. The irony is I picked them for a player who left as Abramovich came in, and at a time in the late 90s-early 2000s, while they had good teams (Zola, Hasselbaink, Desailly, Lebouef, Wise, Le Saux, Cudicini) they were never the premier league elite.

So I am glad that Zola is back as Sarri's assistant.
It totally is.

When I first got into soccer it was because my parents didnt have the money for me to play hockey so I was enrolled in soccer.

I met my best friend to this day playing soccer on the school fields at recess and his family immigrated from Liverpool and his dad would have his family in Liverpool record the games on TV and mail them to him so he could watch.

They didnt have a lot of soccer on TV over here back then.

Eventually we all would watch them together and I became a Liverpool fan.

I was just a kid, I knew nobody else cheering for any teams and I didnt know the history or the league placements or anything. But now they're my team.

Hating Spurs? Thats something that I learned over time. Oh, and to kick out at Slava from time to time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #133
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 2018 Income Tax Season is going to be glorious. I think my rate is going up $20 for every goal Kane scores off of a dive. I might strike it rich!

Then again, this Liverpool team isnt that Liverpool team, I'm looking forward to making Spurs our bitch in their own stadium.

An appropriate christening of the new stadium. We can even start a new Spurs slogan:

"Crushing disappointment. You should be used to it by now."

I don't think that slogan would be fitting only for Spurs though. I mean you guys haven't won anything of note in what...a decade?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #134
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that slogan would be fitting only for Spurs though. I mean you guys haven't won anything of note in what...a decade?
I mean holy #### lol
Old 07-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #135
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It totally is.

When I first got into soccer it was because my parents didnt have the money for me to play hockey so I was enrolled in soccer.

I met my best friend to this day playing soccer on the school fields at recess and his family immigrated from Liverpool and his dad would have his family in Liverpool record the games on TV and mail them to him so he could watch.

They didnt have a lot of soccer on TV over here back then.

Eventually we all would watch them together and I became a Liverpool fan.

I was just a kid, I knew nobody else cheering for any teams and I didnt know the history or the league placements or anything. But now they're my team.

Hating Spurs? Thats something that I learned over time. Oh, and to kick out at Slava from time to time.
I don't even hate Liverpool to be honest with you. In reality, basically every Liverpool supporter I know is a good guy. Misguided and delusional victims, but good guys nonetheless!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #136
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean holy #### lol
I know...it's a bit rich, but still.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #137
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know...it's a bit rich, but still.
Just hope that Spurs win a trophy before whatever NFL team ends up playing in your stadium does.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't even hate Liverpool to be honest with you. In reality, basically every Liverpool supporter I know is a good guy. Misguided and delusional victims, but good guys nonetheless!
I'm thinking we're going to have to catch some games coming up here.

Unless Harry Kane sprains his 'Penalty Taking' foot.

Loser pays for breakfast.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #139
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Says the supporter of the team that finished second last year?
See, the difference between a club with high expectations is no trophies = failure.

You will not find me saying this season was found with success.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #140
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter Crouch.. better dancer than striker?

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote