Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #501
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
What is the flight distance between YYC and HKG anyway?
About 6600 miles
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #502
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada at one point flew YYZ-NRT with a 763, which is shorter than YYC-HKG, and it was notably weight restricted... and that is in Air Canada configuration. A WestJet 763 is going to be high density to compete with Air Transat sardine cans on leisure routes, which will shorten its range to the point that the route would not be feasible. But again, I feel this is no big loss to WestJet because YYC-HKG is not a route that would even cross their minds.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #503
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A nice overview of YYC taken by a WS pilot operating YQR-YVR on May 21st:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #504
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

YYC looks like a big boy airport now.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #505
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Acey this morning on our SSP thread about YYC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey
New departure and arrival procedures for the new runway are active as of this morning. Pilots now see the new runway and its associated charts, but obviously the runway is closed by NOTAM until 2 pm on June 28, and the ILS is inop until 6 pm on Monday the 30th... visuals/RNAV approaches only for the first couple days I guess.

Pilots unfamiliar with the field will surely be aware as they are pretty critical NOTAM's, but it will be interesting to hear them talking about it.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #506
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The company did a better job of summing it up, from their Operational Info System page here (not a bad thing to check if you're flying anywhere): "NEW RWY 17L/35R AND ASSOCIATED PROCEDURES/APCH AIDS PUBLISHED BUT NOT AVBL TIL 28 JUNE"
Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #507
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much confirmed now, the Air Canada 787 and a Rouge A319 will be on display at the Roam the Runway event on Sunday, June 15.

WestJet will have a plane on display as well, basically leaked that it will be the Disney plane and I'd like to think that the begging of myself and others had something to do with that. WestJet will be taking delivery of two more 737-800's in June as well but I don't know when, so maybe one of those makes it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #508
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. The Rouge A319? Aren't you supposed to make a positive impression at these types of events?

I guess you're not going onboard... it'll be shiny from the outside at least.

Maybe Ghostrider will buzz the tower or something to liven things up....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #509
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Pretty much confirmed now, the Air Canada 787 and a Rouge A319 will be on display at the Roam the Runway event on Sunday, June 15.

WestJet will have a plane on display as well, basically leaked that it will be the Disney plane and I'd like to think that the begging of myself and others had something to do with that. WestJet will be taking delivery of two more 737-800's in June as well but I don't know when, so maybe one of those makes it too.
Sweet,I'm working that day.Maybe we'll bring Red 1 and 2 over and give them the arch.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #510
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Yeah if I were them I wouldn't open that one up. I'm thinking they're bringing her along not because her paint is quite beautiful, but to advertise the new Rouge product out of YYC. They are bringing us a 787 even after all the delays, so we really can't complain about anything at this point.

In any event... Mickey, a Rouge 319 and a 787 is going to be an insanely awesome photo. I am excited like a fat kid in a bakery.

Here's pics of all 3 planes that will be here:
Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #511
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
LOL. The Rouge A319? Aren't you supposed to make a positive impression at these types of events?

One guess is that they'll fly all the attractive flight attendants (or equivalents) in from Montreal, with the Glee-inspired "casual" uniforms, complete with fedoras and contrasting shoe highlights, to take the focus of everyone, and then people won't ask about the plane.

Just me, but guessing in a few years, just like the Tango rebranding 10-15 years ago, Rouge will be more for defining internal employee hierarchies in AC, not anything positive for consumers.

As for livery, looks like just took the 80's logo and blew it up to cover more than the tail. Really want to stand out, why not make the entire plane follow in it's name and have it painted red? Probably because it will be that much harder to take that branding off when the next overpaid Eastern marketing agency convinces AC to call it "Blanc" in 5 years.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #512
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the new runway (and new international terminal) capable of handling an A380? Those would be sweet to see in Calgary.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #513
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Existing facilities can already handle it. The greatest chance we'll have of seeing one is a medical/tech diversion of one flying California to Europe or vice versa, as their routes generally take them over Alberta.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #514
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

What timing. I can see one out the window right now, Lufthansa A380 passing just west of Edmonton flying Frankfurt - San Francisco.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #515
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I didn't know YYC could handle them already. Don't you need two-story gate entrances for those?

I had a chance to fly in one from NY to Paris a few years ago. It was pretty impressive. You barely even noticed the thing taking off and landing it was so buttery soft.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #516
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two story jetway is obviously a huge help, but not required as there's stairs at the front and back. At our existing terminal, depending on which gate, an A380 would block the adjacent gates and just be a regular pain to move around the field without hitting anything.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #517
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah nuts, British Airways has pushed back the start of 787 operations into YYC. First flight will now be August 11th instead of July 15th.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/02/ba-yyc-aug14/
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #518
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ah nuts, British Airways has pushed back the start of 787 operations into YYC. First flight will now be August 11th instead of July 15th.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/02/ba-yyc-aug14/
As long as they don't delay it past October, I'll be good.

Is it odd how BA will use a 787 on a YYC route but AC doesn't seem to plan on doing so? Or does BA just have a ton of 787s?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #519
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC only has one 787 so far. Eventually as they get their orders we'll see them start phasing out 767 routes with the 787. So for YYC one can assume the following routes will go 787 eventually:

-Tokyo-Narita
-London (winter season when operated by the 767)

LHR-YYC is also one of the longest routes BA currently serves with the 763, so the economics of switching it to the 787 has always meant we'd eventually see it before other stations in their system.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #520
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
AC only has one 787 so far. Eventually as they get their orders we'll see them start phasing out 767 routes with the 787. So for YYC one can assume the following routes will go 787 eventually:

-Tokyo-Narita
-London (winter season when operated by the 767)

LHR-YYC is also one of the longest routes BA currently serves with the 763, so the economics of switching it to the 787 has always meant we'd eventually see it before other stations in their system.
AC doesn't run their 777 between LHR-YYC anymore? That was a great plane.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc