Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #241
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rinaldo Reider and DSP play the last 2 games is my guess. Tonight should be the opening lineup roster, but I have suspicions that one or two of the above 3 are very close. Interesting to see who will come out of the lineup for those games.
Lucic won't play Saturday.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #242
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d guess all three get in against San Jose and then it’s the opening night roster vs Edmonton. Only change from tonight’s roster is possibly Tkachuk is in and one of Dube/Czarnik is out. Need that tune-up game with the full roster.

Rinaldo starts the year with Stockton. Reider signs somewhere else and Smith-Pelly is released.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #243
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now with Tkachuk signed, I think we will see Dube sent down like Andersson, Jankowski, and Mangiapane in recent years. I also anticipate a Reider signing for league minimum.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Czarnik
Lucic Ryan Mangiapane
Reider

Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Kylington Andersson
Stone

Honestly, I think Czarnik has looked pretty good. He had one play defending Morrisey vs the Jets where he had to go full out defensively and he stuck with him really well. I think we will see him get a shot this season. Hopefully Bennett and Janko can produce more without dragging the Neal anchor around the ice.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #244
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Now with Tkachuk signed, I think we will see Dube sent down like Andersson, Jankowski, and Mangiapane in recent years. I also anticipate a Reider signing for league minimum.

Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Czarnik
Lucic Ryan Mangiapane
Reider

Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Kylington Andersson
Stone

Honestly, I think Czarnik has looked pretty good. He had one play defending Morrisey vs the Jets where he had to go full out defensively and he stuck with him really well. I think we will see him get a shot this season. Hopefully Bennett and Janko can produce more without dragging the Neal anchor around the ice.
I wish we'd finally see Bennett get some time in the top six at RW... but that doesn't look likely.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #245
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I wish we'd finally see Bennett get some time in the top six at RW... but that doesn't look likely.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Who knows, maybe Bennett will force the coaches hand and we will see some other combos.

I'd like to see Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett get a look at some point. Then again, the top line and 3M line have produced reliably so perhaps the team should keep what works.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #246
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaureau Monahan Tkachuck
Lucic Lindholm Mangipane
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Janko Ryan Reider/Czarnik
Reider/Czarnik/Rinaldo

Gio Brodie
Hamonic Hanafin
Stone Andersson
McDonald

I know Lindholm on the first line was but I think it's time they let him spread his wings to see if he can have his own line. Bennett gets to continue to blossom under Backlund and the fourth line is just there as support.

Kylington starts the year in the minors until and injury or trade. Dube is in the same boat but I would be fine putting Czarnik on waivers and replacing him with Dube but I wouldn't want Dube in the press box.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #247
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Hmm...GM Rutherford says goalie market is heating up. Gillies still on the roster. Coincidence? Probably, yes. But its something to think about.

https://www.tsn.ca/pittsburgh-pengui...g-up-1.1371377
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #248
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Gaureau Monahan Tkachuck
Lucic Lindholm Mangipane
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Janko Ryan Reider/Czarnik
Reider/Czarnik/Rinaldo

Gio Brodie
Hamonic Hanafin
Stone Andersson
McDonald

I know Lindholm on the first line was but I think it's time they let him spread his wings to see if he can have his own line. Bennett gets to continue to blossom under Backlund and the fourth line is just there as support.

Kylington starts the year in the minors until and injury or trade. Dube is in the same boat but I would be fine putting Czarnik on waivers and replacing him with Dube but I wouldn't want Dube in the press box.
Dube > Czarnik IMO. A more versatile player with more upside.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #249
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dube > Czarnik IMO. A more versatile player with more upside.
No question in my mind. Smarter, and better defensively too.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #250
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Tkachuk Backlund Bennett
Lucic Ryan Frolik
Mangiapane Jankowski Dube
Czarnik

Giordano Brodie
Hanafin Hamonic
Kylington Andersson
Stone

Rittich
Talbot
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #251
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm very curious to see if Bennett sticks on the 2nd line but at RW and if Frolik moves to 4LW.

Or, and here is where things get interesting, does Peters reunite Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik but as the 4L

If I'm not mistaken they were quite good together last season.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #252
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I’d like to see Gawdin crack the lineup just to see what he’d do with it, but I don’t see how he replaces any of the regulars.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #253
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm very curious to see if Bennett sticks on the 2nd line but at RW and if Frolik moves to 4LW.

Or, and here is where things get interesting, does Peters reunite Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik but as the 4L

If I'm not mistaken they were quite good together last season.
I’ve honestly viewed Bennett as a RW from day one. I don’t know what kind of weirdo that makes me, but every time I watch this guy play it just reinforces my belief that this guy is just one long-term-RW-placement away from exploding up to his potential.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #254
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Tkachuk Backlund Bennett
Lucic Ryan Frolik
Mangiapane Jankowski Dube
Czarnik

Giordano Brodie
Hanafin Hamonic
Kylington Andersson
Stone

Rittich
Talbot
I think this is the best looking lineup but we still need a bit more wiggle room so I feel like something else will need to happen.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #255
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still believe (want) the Flames need to deal Frolik for a stronger shut down third pairing left Dman. That opens up a spot for Dube, we sign Reider or Rinaldo to be the extra forward and place Kylington in the minors to mature....simple, lol.

Likely
Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ Lindholm
Tkachuk ~ Backlund ~ Bennett
Lucic ~ Ryan ~ Dube
Mangiapane ~ Jankowski ~ Czarnik
Reider/Rinaldo

Giordano ~ Brodie
Hanafin ~ Hamonic
*Trade acquisition* ~ Andersson
Stone

Fantasy
Gaudreau ~ Monahan ~ Tkachuk
Bennett ~ Lindholm ~ Mangiapane
Lucic ~ Backlund ~ Dube
Jankowski ~ Ryan ~ Czarnik
Reider/Rinaldo

Giordano ~ Andersson
Hanafin ~ Hamonic
Brodie ~ *Trade acquisition*
Stone
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #256
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing how utterly terrible he's been this preseason (odd maybe couple of decent moments aside), I have to wonder if it's really worth holding onto DSP any longer as opposed to just cutting him today.

The way he's playing, it looks like he has no place left for him regarding any further NHL deal or perhaps even any AHL deal. Very disappointing stuff from him.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #257
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dube and Quine cut from the roster soon, and both Rieder and Rinaldo signed to league min contracts. With Valimaki on LTIR I think this still gives us room for a call-up if needed.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #258
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Did he say that by way of explaining the difference between how a coach treats veterans and young players, or did he say that as if it was a complete mystery?
What are you talking about? Obviously coaches treat rookies and vets differently. Doesn't change the fact that it was a pretty hard telling off of a young guy. Or did I misunderstand what your point is?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #259
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are the lines I want to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Benny does the dirty work that Lindholm does, also gives that line another centreman for faceoffs. Benny also gives a physical presence and protection for Gaudreau.

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik/Dube
Tkachuk gets a little bit of an upgraded centreman. They've shown some chemistry on the powerplay together. Lindholm is arguably the best centremen on the team. Tkachuk and Lindholm are also good two way players so it covers some of the defensive deficiencies of a Czarnik or inexperience of a Dube. Maybe Mangiapane switches on to the RW on this line on occasion.

Jankowksi-Backlund-Frolik
Shutdown line. I think Jankowski will make a better winger than centre. These 3 guys are also the key penalty killers.

Lucic-Ryan-Mangiapane
Ryan and Mangiapane have chemistry, they are both speedy which complements Lucic well. Lucic's size complements the two smaller guys.

I think this setup puts your 5 best offensive players together and also gives some of the tweeners like Czarnik/Dube/Mangiapane some opportunities.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #260
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thoughts:

Reider - Has the most potential to make the roster, I do feel like we see either him or Rinaldo as our 13th forward when all is said and done.

Rinaldo - When he is playing his game he can be effective, and feels like a great 4th line addition. Just like Reider he may be our 13th forward.

DSP - Very disappointed in what I have seen from him. Was hoping to see more from a guy who has won a Stanley cup recently and performed well in the playoffs.

Mangiapane - Definitely playing like he has missed some preseason, hopefully he steps up in the final few games here.

Dube - Started out fantastic, but his play has slipped a bit, hopefully just like Mangiapane he can solidify himself a roster spot.

Lucic - Looks pretty decent, I was expecting a lot worse from what my oiler buddies have told me. I think he will be a great 3rd/4th line player with 2pp time.

Tkachuk - Guy has been completely invisible all preseason.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote