Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

After checking everywhere and anywhere I cannot see the files/program in question, and I have 3.4.2.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #22
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Epicscale only installed with a new installation if you click on "accept offer". It doesn't not install on updates AFAIK. That's probably why you don't see the program.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Epicscale only installed with a new installation if you click on "accept offer". It doesn't not install on updates AFAIK. That's probably why you don't see the program.
So then all the claims about silently installing are false? If that's the case, I have no need to change platforms.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooo...is this a big deal or what? They're using people's computers to mine for....some sort of....internet bullion? Making them much closer to real pirates than most?

But is it a problem? Is there a way to remove that aspect if necessary?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You can just uninstall it in most cases, but as is typical with malware that doesn't always work for people, assuming you know it is there in the first place.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #26
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I use utorrent, have for years. Haven't updated it in ages though, apparently that was the right call.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #27
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honest question, because I don't know: why do I care if uTorrent* makes a few bucks while I'm downloading something for 15 minutes every Sunday? Does it open my computer up to malware or other infestations? Does it run even when uTorrent isn't open? Is it a principle thing because they're doing it without getting permission before installation?

*I'm running the Mac version
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Honest question, because I don't know: why do I care if uTorrent* makes a few bucks while I'm downloading something for 15 minutes every Sunday? Does it open my computer up to malware or other infestations? Does it run even when uTorrent isn't open? Is it a principle thing because they're doing it without getting permission before installation?

I thought it ran when uTorrent isn't open. Also it pushes up your processor usage and the amount of power used when you computer is idle. Doesn't matter now, already uninstalled.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

That should be enough, but any bitcoin miner is going to stress your system out far more than any standard torrent program will. It's malware plain and simple
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #30
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another vote for Tixati, I have used it for a few years now and never had a problem with it.

Slightly off topic but it appears that the entertainment industry have gone another step down the censorship road. They have now started blocking sites that only link to lists of TPB proxies, they do not even feature the proxy
http://bbc.in/1HB8PVF
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote