Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #221
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Its called Save-on foods

best of both worlds
Nope. Their meat prices are good, but other than that, Safeway beats their prices on almost everything else. Especially produce which they rape you on at Save-On.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #222
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Especially produce which they rape you on at Save-On.
Maybe dress appropriately for a grocery store!
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #223
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an hero View Post
I miss Safeway from the US.

The Safeway here is a joke and a spitting image of the other national chains, with a few extra selections.

To me this exemplifies a number of US chains that come here and instead of bringing the products and prices that draw us to that US brand, they're just like Superstore and Zeller's.
What's American safeway like?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #224
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It sells booze, therefore it is better.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #225
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Who cares about the rest of the shopping experience, there is a huge wall of beer for a fraction of the price it is here!
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #226
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Who cares about the rest of the shopping experience, there is a huge wall of beer for a fraction of the price it is here!
was just in Hawaii buying beer at the local Safeway. Good times!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #227
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much the same except for the addition of beer and the subtraction of airmiles. Also, I was surprised that my phone number (with area code) worked as a club card at a safeway in California. I'm not sure if it still will now that they're separate. Probably not.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #228
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
They have a bar and beer on tap in stores in PHX.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #229
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I can vouch that at least one of them was not. My wife's co-worker was the proud winner of a copy of "Bon cop Bad Cop". However I don't think it was ever claimed....

My mother won a 20 cd prize pack from a cfl game once.

I know. Cool story bro.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #230
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Nope. Their meat prices are good, but other than that, Safeway beats their prices on almost everything else. Especially produce which they rape you on at Save-On.
Probably cause they don't have a dc in Calgary(its in my home town)

I'm just used to shopping back home were the price on produce is half the price of Calgary.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #231
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Pretty much the same except for the addition of beer and the subtraction of airmiles. Also, I was surprised that my phone number (with area code) worked as a club card at a safeway in California. I'm not sure if it still will now that they're separate. Probably not.
It won't anymore, either now or shortly.

I was at Safeway today and Club Cards are no longer required or used.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #232
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably won't need the card in the US Safeway stores either since they've been bought out by Albertson's down there...
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #233
an hero
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
They sell far more diversity of products than the Canadian Safeway. Even before the Sobey's thing, here you'd still expect them to mostly carry the same food as Walmart, Sobey's, Superstore, No Frills, etc., and besides Walmart's price matching, they're a lot like the gas stations on petrol and don't compete much.

While there are some same products in the American Safeway as, say, Walmart, Target, or Nob Hill, they have a far wider selection of frozen food, dairy, canned food, and without a doubt, junk food. Then of course they tend to have two or three aisles dedicated to wine, beer, and liquor.

Sufficed to say, I like the American Safeway better, just need to moderate how much crap one buys. It's pretty easy to get carried away from the (cheap) excess of junk in American grocery stores.
an hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #234
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just in Sobeys and saw an ad for their loyalty program. Do you really need to spend $750 to get $5 off?!?!
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #235
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep seeing things like this mentioned about loyalty programs. There all like this for grocery. Why? Margins are razor thin in grocery. Maybe 8-11%. A loyalty program that gives back even 1% is actually 10 % percent of their entire profit margin. Then wages, rent, etc come off. That is actually a lot when you do the math
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #236
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I keep seeing things like this mentioned about loyalty programs. There all like this for grocery. Why? Margins are razor thin in grocery. Maybe 8-11%. A loyalty program that gives back even 1% is actually 10 % percent of their entire profit margin. Then wages, rent, etc come off. That is actually a lot when you do the math
I'm guessing the basic business model logic is

Small profit in my grocery store > Small profit in competitor grocery store

And if each transaction only gives you a small profit, you need to make up for it on volume

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #237
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I'm guessing the basic business model logic is

Small profit in my grocery store > Small profit in competitor grocery store

And if each transaction only gives you a small profit, you need to make up for it on volume
Customers with loyalty cards shop more and buy more per shop, that's why you see them everywhere.

What people need to understand about grocery is that it's huge overhead and slim margins. Your simply not going to get high returns on your purchase with a loyalty program
Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #238
newts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Margins at the store are less than that. In the grocery business, only a fraction of the money is made at the store. The majority is made via inside programs with food suppliers who sell goods to the grocery chain.

As someone who used to work for one of the biggest food companies in the world, the cost to do business with a national grocery chain can be ridiculous. To buy one little ad in a flyer can run 100k+ in one week depending on how much volume the ad can generate.

I've seen some competitive food categories where vendors pay a program cost (rebate to the grocery chain based on how much the chain purchases) of upwards of 30%. Ie. a grocery chain buys $20,000,000 of a particular category from a vendor to supply its stores, they get $6mm back in rebates.

Listing fees are another huge revenue generator for grocers, which would be the cost for a vendor to start selling a new product with a particular grocery chain. I recall one chain who used to charge 40,000 per new item. Then they'd charge you again to delist the item when they wanted to get rid of it due to poor sales at the store.

One chain used to be notorious for penalizing vendors who who fund pricing initiatives at competitive chains. Say that one grocer received ad funding from a vendor to establish a low price one week on a product in the grocers weekly flyer, and say they undercut another grocery chain by $1.00 for that week on that product. The other grocery chain would send a "debit" at the conclusion of that ad due to the price protection it provided to their customers. Ie. Mr. Supplier, here's a bill for $50,000, because we price matched 50,000 units for $1 less our normal price due to the hot ad you ran with one of our grocery competitors last week.

There was even a recent situation where a grocer told their vendors that they were going to knock 1% off of what they owed their vendors because of escalating costs that the grocer was incurring that year for company initiatives to optimize their stores and their business.

These grocers have their vendors by the balls, so they can demand ridiculous amounts of "inside money" from them in order for those vendors to keep their products listed within the grocery chain.

So this is why you see all of these loyalty programs, and why stores run razor thin margins. It's to grow market share so they can continue to suck the real profits from their suppliers.

Last edited by newts; 04-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.
newts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to newts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #239
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^

Wow. That's very interesting. Never knew that. Thanks for sharing
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #240
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newts View Post
Margins at the store are less than that. In the grocery business, only a fraction of the money is made at the store. The majority is made via inside programs with food suppliers who sell goods to the grocery chain.

As someone who used to work for one of the biggest food companies in the world, the cost to do business with a national grocery chain can be ridiculous. To buy one little ad in a flyer can run 100k+ in one week depending on how much volume the ad can generate.

I've seen some competitive food categories where vendors pay a program cost (rebate to the grocery chain based on how much the chain purchases) of upwards of 30%. Ie. a grocery chain buys $20,000,000 of a particular category from a vendor to supply its stores, they get $6mm back in rebates.

Listing fees are another huge revenue generator for grocers, which would be the cost for a vendor to start selling a new product with a particular grocery chain. I recall one chain who used to charge 40,000 per new item. Then they'd charge you again to delist the item when they wanted to get rid of it due to poor sales at the store.

One chain used to be notorious for penalizing vendors who who fund pricing initiatives at competitive chains. Say that one grocer received ad funding from a vendor to establish a low price one week on a product in the grocers weekly flyer, and say they undercut another grocery chain by $1.00 for that week on that product. The other grocery chain would send a "debit" at the conclusion of that ad due to the price protection it provided to their customers. Ie. Mr. Supplier, here's a bill for $50,000, because we price matched 50,000 units for $1 less our normal price due to the hot ad you ran with one of our grocery competitors last week.

There was even a recent situation where a grocer told their vendors that they were going to knock 1% off of what they owed their vendors because of escalating costs that the grocer was incurring that year for company initiatives to optimize their stores and their business.

These grocers have their vendors by the balls, so they can demand ridiculous amounts of "inside money" from them in order for those vendors to keep their products listed within the grocery chain.

So this is why you see all of these loyalty programs, and why stores run razor thin margins. It's to grow market share so they can continue to suck the real profits from their suppliers.
I always assumed this was going on, but the nuts and bolts weren't clear to me. Thanks, that's really eye opening. As an owner of a retail store I always assumes the real profits were higher up the "food chain" (pun intended)