Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #801
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grichik makes a rare appearance on base and then proceeds to get picked off. Lol what a dumbass
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #802
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

He’s brutal.. Why he is getting pushed up to 4th in the batting order makes no sense to me. But I guess the other options of Tellez and Hernandez are equally as bad. Even more perplexing is why the Jays extended him. He is one of those “is who he is” guys. Sylvan encapsulated his type perfectly a number of posts ago.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #803
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s funny.

For years the Jays couldn’t develop a position player but had some decent pitching prospects and pitchers.

Now we seem to have lots of young position players (Vlad, Gurriel Jr, Bichette, Biggio, Alford, Jansen, Tellez) that appear to be promising.

But now it looks like we have no top end pitching prospects.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #804
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It’s funny.

For years the Jays couldn’t develop a position player but had some decent pitching prospects and pitchers.

Now we seem to have lots of young position players (Vlad, Gurriel Jr, Bichette, Biggio, Alford, Jansen, Tellez) that appear to be promising.

I guess they will just have to follow the Red Sox model of drafting/signing a lot of young talent and trade some of those pieces for a high end starter when the time is right. Also they will have to cross their fingers and hope that Pearson and Manoah can turn into high end starters.

Luckily for us that time won’t be for at least a couple of years!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #805
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grichuk - 2018 career PA's - Career OPS .776 / Current OPS .699
Drury - 1258 career PA's - Career OPS .724 / Current OPS .608
Hernandez - 849 career PA's - Career OPS .752 / Current OPS .646

Those three can be useful players, but this year they've been terrible at the plate. If they can get back to being .750~ OPSers then they might actually be useful players to augment the young core, but if not they will be sent packing I imagine.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #806
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggio with an RBI single to tie the game in the top of 9.

Love that kid.

3/4 with a walk today.

Jansen went 3 for 3 and was pinch run for on the tying run.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #807
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

My man crush on Biggio can’t get any bigger right now.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #808
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

It may read weird, but his at-bats are just so calming and satisfying
Old 06-27-2019, 05:21 AM   #809
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Borucki started in the GCL and pitched 3 innings with 0 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs and 6 Ks

Pardihno came in next for 4 innings, 1 hit, 3 walks, 0 runs and 5 K's

If all goes well we should see both Merryweather and Borucki with the Jays in July/August. Same with Bichette and Alford.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #810
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If all goes well we should see both Merryweather and Borucki with the Jays in July/August.
Good. Props to the guy for living 16 years in the majors (starting at age 19!) with 14 teams... but I've had enough of the Edwin Jackson experience.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #811
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 3 games, but 17 year old SS Orelvis Martinez is off to a good start in the GCL.

.400 .462 .500 .962
Old 06-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #812
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not following the Jays as close as usual, but can anyone tell me why the Jays wouldn't be re-signing Stroman?

They have zero pitching depth, he wants to be there, he's performing well and he's only 28 and will still likely be quite productive when the young core is more competitive in 3 or 4 years... also they have almost no committed payroll after Tulo, Martin and Morales deals dry up. Why not lock him up and make him a leader for the rebuild instead of committing a big chunk of the money in 13 mil a year to a guy like Grichuk?

They'll trade a good 200 inning guy for a couple lotto tickets... seems like the prospects teams are willing to move in those deals rarely pan out, makes no sense to me... but like I said not following them closely.

Last edited by Matty81; 06-27-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #813
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Not following the Jays as close as usual, but can anyone tell me why the Jays wouldn't be re-signing Stroman?

They have zero pitching depth, he wants to be there, he's performing well and he's only 28 and will still likely be quite productive when the young core is more competitive in 3 or 4 years... also they have almost no committed payroll after Tulo, Martin and Morales deals dry up. Why not lock him up and make him a leader for the rebuild instead of committing a big chunk of the money in 13 mil a year to a guy like Grichuk?

They'll trade a good 200 inning guy for a couple lotto tickets... seems like the prospects teams are willing to move in those deals rarely pan out, makes no sense to me... but like I said not following them closely.

This is just my opinion, but I think there are two main reasons:

1. He's created a rift with management based on his continual twitter rants and comments. IIRC several times he's been quite critical of some of their decisions. Fair for him to feel that way, quite another to air it publicly IMO.

2. He says he wants to be in TO, but are his contract demands in line with that? He's a solid pitcher, really good mid rotation guy. But is he asking for top of the rotation money? If so they should maximize his value on the trade front and save that money for legit top of the rotation starters when they eventually come out of the wood work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #814
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It’s funny.

Which makes it all the more confusing for them to run Stroman out of town.

They have nobody who can pitch. They have so little pitching that Edwin Jackson gets to start games for them.

Extend Stroman. He just turned 28. He wants to be there. He gives you 200 good innings a year. He's not going to cost you a fortune, and someone has to take the ball every fifth day.

The Blue Jays will not win anything with this JP Riccardi redux at the helm.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #815
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Stroman, it's about ego driving him to do immature things. To executives it drives them crazy. I say now is the time to make the move on him and deal him. He's playing well, he's also very vocal, and most importantly he's in a position to get a sizable return back. You don't want him to get injured and say they couldn't predict that. Deal him now and get your A-grade prospect back and be happy. If you're not getting that back, sign him and keep him on the team until someone does offer that back.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #816
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess define fortune? Right now it looks like Stroman would be pretty high up the list in terms of available starters in his free agent class. I have not heard what he's asking for but some stuff I've read and some comps suggest he could be looking at 4-5 years and upwards of 20mill AVV.

I would not pay him that personally, which is part of the reason i'm in the he should be traded camp.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #817
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I'm no insider but the most likely reasons are...

1: $$: Stroman probably wants a heftier paycheck then Rogers wants to pay.
2: Window: Stroman isn't old but he's not young either and I think the Jays want someone who'll be peaking when Vlad/Bichette/Biggio are peaking and Stroman is probably one of the better starting pitchers likely to be available at the deadline to acquire such.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #818
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They have zero pitching depth,

Jays are a rebuilding club who are several years away

Jays are far better off, trading him at his peak value (i.e. I bet he is traded at this year's trade deadline)

I don't believe for a second, that Stroman would or will resign with the Jays...... He is talking lots but no chance he would resign IMO

As for pitching depth, once they are ready... They will sign UFAs and trade for pitching depth (years away however)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #819
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I was saying as well.

He says he wants to sign in TO....fan service IMO. He'll sign with the Jays alright, for a bunch more than he's worth.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #820
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I don't believe for a second, that Stroman would or will resign with the Jays...... He is talking lots but no chance he would resign IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He says he wants to sign in TO....fan service IMO.

No, I'm pretty sure it's true. Folk who are only saying that they want to resign as fan service don't do this to themselves...

... now I'm sure he won't under-value himself but folk who aren't willing to stick around where they are don't turn themselves into a human canvass of the skyline of where they are.

Last edited by Parallex; 06-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.