Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #21
Knut

Exp:

Forsberg is like Pickard. Everyone remembers their hype from 6 years ago. He is an average backup at best.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to think this is to offset the $6.25M in dead cap space they'll have this year from buying out Marleau. They save 4.5M minus whatever Forsling signs for.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think de Haan is losing his lustre. Not a great season last year and maybe Carolina sees something that we don’t.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #24
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the acquisition of dmen is a precursor to a Seabrook move.

Edmonton?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #25
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
And he plays the left side instead of who?!

The Flames already acquired Carolina's best Dman....

de Haan is a defencemen I have always WANTED the Flames to obtain somehow, but I didn't say they should have been in on this today. Of course not. Not with how deep the Flames are on D, not with the cap implications, and even not with how the cap is structured on D. It doesn't make sense today, but de Haan has always been a defencemen I wished that the Flames had.

Also, where are you getting that the Flames obtained Carolina's best D? Faulk, Slavin or Pesce might have something to say about that right now, not to mention Hamilton and his 18 goals. Flames didn't get Carolina's best defencemen in that trade, they obtained the young defencemen with arguably the highest ceiling. Switching out Hanifin for de Haan for this past playoffs might not have led to that 2nd pairing absolutely getting shreded by Colorado. De Haan is defensively miles better than Hanifin is now, but that doesn't mean I would trade Hanifin for de Haan. Might as well go trade Valimaki for Chara if that's the case, right (although de Haan is still in his 20's and a stud)? I think Hanifin is more valuable and will become a much better defencemen than de Haan, but de Haan is just so good now.

Chicago did well here. De Haan is really going to help stabilize Chicago's D IMO. He is a rock defensively and can still move the puck up the ice quickly.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance Carolina offer sheets Marner... but traded for Toronto’s 1st round pick so they couldn’t come back to Aho?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would've thought a top4 d with term on a friendly deal would return more than a couple of tweeners. Maybe de Haan is just not all that good? Perhaps we should temper our expectations on a Brodie trade. And there's no way Stone's getting traded, might as well accept that. 3.5m for a 6/7 is unmovable expect through buyout, taking another bad contract back or adding a sweetener to get it done. Ugh.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #28
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Any chance Carolina offer sheets Marner... but traded for Toronto’s 1st round pick so they couldn’t come back to Aho?
That would be pretty funny. Now I want it to happen.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It would actually be interesting from Carolina's perspective. They can offer sheet Marner at 10.5M, and because they own Toronto's 1st next year, the compensation would essentially be a 1st (2021), 2nd, 3rd (with the swap of picks in 2020).

It would force Toronto to pay market value for Marner, or Carolina would get him on the cheap. They could pay Aho the identical sum, and still not screw up their pay structure.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #30
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've followed Nedeljkovic for a few years and don't understand the acquisition of Forsberg at all. He didn't even play an NHL game last year for the Hawks.

Ned is 23, was the AHL goalie of the year, and the Canes would be crazy to not bring the kid up this year.

Unless the Canes are bringing Forsberg in to send him to Charlotte to replace the promoted Nedeljkovic.

Plus still so many unknowns with Mrazek, McBackup and Darling. I dont get it.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto would surely match 10.5M, but it'd be a good move by Marner if he's willing to take that and the Leafs are playing hardball with him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Toronto would surely match 10.5M, but it'd be a good move by Marner if he's willing to take that and the Leafs are playing hardball with him.
Yah I feel the only way he gets 5 years with good amount of money is an offer sheet.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #33
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto would be in a pinch if that were to happen. Kapanen and Johansson are both tentatively signed for 3.5ish each.

Followed by an 'over the barrel' move of Nylander to Calgary for Brodie + 2M retained. Calgary then sells Frolik for a 7th rounder, because at that point, who cares.