Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help me choose my next phone

Please help me choose my next phone. I’m about to replace my iPhone XR (likely in early October when the new one comes out, or earlier if I choose a Samsung Galaxy). I’m not into the latest and greatest but we’re planning a major trip abroad this winter and I want my phone to replace my SLR camera with three lenses; I like being able to carry my camera in my pocket.

I'm down to iPhone 13 Pro-something or the comparable Galaxy.

I believe that the two phones are equal in all other respects (phone, texting, basic internet work, etc.) so it comes down to camera quality including having multiple lenses with good zoom and wide-angle capabilities - and price. I’m tired of Apple ripping me off on price. If the galaxy price is within a couple hundred dollars I'll likely go with the iPhone as I'm familiar with it.

I want a large screen and a strong battery.

My comparison so far: https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/i...laxy-s21-ultra

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-23-2022 at 01:16 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty old comparison and is talking about the previous gen. The current gen S22 Ultra, which I use, is an excellent phone that does literally everything well, for me. But I've always been a Galaxy Note user so it's tailored to what I need it to do. The cameras on both companies' flagships are pretty similar in quality - Samsung has better zoom, Apple generally better in low light.

I think what it actually comes down to for most people, whether they admit it or not, is which operating system they prefer using. I just can't stand Apple's, I am very comfortable using Android, so that's pretty much the end of the debate.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always though that stock android was great, but the bastardized Samsung Android was not. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any of the manufacturers have kept up with Apple and Samsung, so there aren't any really good stock android phones.

I've pretty much stopped caring about phones though. I get my iphone through work and don't think too much about it, and don't even really notice much of a difference between the incremental versions any more.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

What generation of Samsung are you referring to with the bastarsized os? I had an S10, went to a Pixel 6 for a couple months and that phone was a giant pos. Back with Samsung and an S22 now. Like, are you thinking of an S3 or something? Galaxy has had a sorted out os for literally generations now. It's a flawless experience.

For MoneyGuy, just get whatever the top iPhone or Samsung is. They're both awesome. If you enjoy learning something new with more features, get the samsung. If that'll be frustrating and you just want to pick up your new phone and use it with zero learning curve, just with updated cameras and power, then go for the iPhone.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you have a reason for switching to Android — pissed off at Apple, sick of iOS, tired of your friends with Android not shutting up about it and wanting to see what the fuss is about — just get an iPhone 13 Pro. Ecosystems don’t transfer so any apps you’ve purchased will need to be purchased again on the new Android device, there’s always a learning curve going between iOS and Android for the first time.

Camera is impressive on iPhone 13 Pro, just as it is on the latest Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S-series devices, and picking apart the differences is the domain of tech reviewers, not day-to-day users.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don’t want one of those flip phones with the big numbers?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Unless you have a reason for switching to Android — pissed off at Apple, sick of iOS, tired of your friends with Android not shutting up about it and wanting to see what the fuss is about — just get an iPhone 13 Pro. Ecosystems don’t transfer so any apps you’ve purchased will need to be purchased again on the new Android device, there’s always a learning curve going between iOS and Android for the first time.

Camera is impressive on iPhone 13 Pro, just as it is on the latest Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S-series devices, and picking apart the differences is the domain of tech reviewers, not day-to-day users.
This seems how I'll likely go. Thank you, everyone, for the advice.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently had to replace my old phone. I had a 7 plus and liked the screen. I went with the 13 pro max as I liked the screen size and the phone was physically similar in dimensions. I thought that the notch would bug me but I don’t even notice it a week later. I wanted to wait for the 14 pro but a day without a properly working personal phone was too much which I had suspected all along. It’s pathetic that I give the gears to the kids about “phone appendages” and I’m driving to the Apple store to expedite getting a new one.

Give some consideration to memory especially if you plan on taking a lot of pictures. I bought the Apple one plan with lots of cloud so I was able to get the smaller memory on the phone. YMMV.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah - I think at this point if you're used to one phone - you are probably best just sticking with that. I tried an Iphone after years with Pixels and it drove me insane with things I couldn't do. I'm sure the situation would be the same if I was a long time Iphone user trying a Pixel.

I'm old so no one cares about blue or green messages. Just go with what works for you. The high end phone market is mature now so the differences are all in use cases.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:45 PM   #10
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I switched to the 13 max after a decade with Android a month or so ago. it's a phone...I use a lot of other Apple products so I figured why not and I was getting a little frustrated with random issues on the my Pixel.

Cameras are nice but I mostly forget I have the extra ones so I rarely use them. I hate the keyboard. Stupid that Apple won't open that up. I think now it is more about what the family is using then features on phones. It is slightly easier to manage everyone else while using Apple vs Google.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I hate the keyboard. Stupid that Apple won't open that up.
Huh? You can get third-party keyboards on iPhone. Tenor, SwiftKey, Grammarly, Gboard, Typewise....
Old 05-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah but they still limit the functionality. Allow long press like android, no reason not to. Allow for size changes as well. Simple tweaks that keep you from changing in and out of the layouts.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sticking with iOS is an easier migration with no learning curve.

Nothing against Android, but if you are not the type to be able to easily figure it out yourself, please don't expose yourself or someone else to that type of experience to teach you how.

Get a phone with good amount memory for your needs (ie: Pics, video etc. 128/256 GB). It's like $50-150 per year over the life of the phone but would easily allow you to eke out an extra year or two in many ownership situations.

If not getting a phone with good amount of memory, for the love of god pay for the cloud storage so that you can compress the stuff on your phone and send the full sized data files to the cloud. It's cheap as hell.

Finally, consider selling your Apple device rather than let it collect dust? As much as you bemoaned that Apple was ripping you off, the resale price on Apple devices are far higher than the typical Android phone. That should help you to bridge the cost of the newer one.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #14
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, best way to sell my iPhone XR?
Old 05-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Okay, best way to sell my iPhone XR?
Here's my way:

Step 1: Take a ton of high quality photos of the device, both with the screen on (to show it works) and off (to show the condition of the screen). If you're including accessories, take pictures of them as well.

Step 2: Go on Kijiji and search for your phone make and model. Don't both listing the capacity in your search, you want to get an idea of where iPhone XRs are selling generally. Once you have that idea, then look where your capacity (iPhone XR 64 GB or whatever) is selling. If you have a good quality unit (no cracks or scratches, etc), then try and pick a price that is more or less in the upper-middle range of the devices you saw, taking into account storage, included accessories, etc. Why upper-middle? Because your time is worth something, and asking for the top top end is going to guarantee people low-ball you "because there are other phones selling for less".

Step 3: Write up a good ad:
- What am I selling?
- What condition is it in?
- What is everything included with this listing? (I make a bullet list of 'device, power cable, case, etc.')
- Asking price and terms of engagement (pick-up only, general part of town you're located in, do you take e-transfer or cash, open to trades?)

Step 4: Post the ad on both Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace (if you have Facebook). I have found much better success over Facebook Marketplace than Kijiji (though both have their high and low points).

Step 5: Be realistic about your drop-dead price, and every now and then consider lowering the price even just by $5 if you aren't getting bites in a week. Especially on Facebook Marketplace, this is effective because it shows the old price striked out with the new price beside it, which draws the eye because someone thinks "Ooh, discount!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #16
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I recently had to replace my old phone. I had a 7 plus and liked the screen. I went with the 13 pro max as I liked the screen size and the phone was physically similar in dimensions. I thought that the notch would bug me but I don’t even notice it a week later. I wanted to wait for the 14 pro but a day without a properly working personal phone was too much which I had suspected all along. It’s pathetic that I give the gears to the kids about “phone appendages” and I’m driving to the Apple store to expedite getting a new one.

Give some consideration to memory especially if you plan on taking a lot of pictures. I bought the Apple one plan with lots of cloud so I was able to get the smaller memory on the phone. YMMV.
I think your confusing storage abilities with RAM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I think your confusing storage abilities with RAM.
I think you're confusing a consumer for an enthusiast. Most people aren't paying attention to RAM, they're talking about storage, and use 'memory' as a synonym for it.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:23 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to stick with Apple get the 13 Pro. If you want to go with Android get the upcoming Pixel 7 Pro. Those two are by far the champions of cell phone picture taking because of their respective photo software. Samsung has nice specs but is well behind those other two when it comes to its final picture quality, not to mention Samsung's ridiculous bloatware. If you care about picture quality and that is a main factor in your phone choice go Apple Pro or Pixel Pro.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think you're confusing a consumer for an enthusiast. Most people aren't paying attention to RAM, they're talking about storage, and use 'memory' as a synonym for it.
This is interesting... I would pretty much consider anyone who gets those things confused as being borderline technology illiterate at this point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #20
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you want to stick with Apple get the 13 Pro. If you want to go with Android get the upcoming Pixel 7 Pro. Those two are by far the champions of cell phone picture taking because of their respective photo software. Samsung has nice specs but is well behind those other two when it comes to its final picture quality, not to mention Samsung's ridiculous bloatware. If you care about picture quality and that is a main factor in your phone choice go Apple Pro or Pixel Pro.
Thank you to everyone who has offered advice and opinions. I was 60-40 between an iPhone and Samsung but am going to go with the 13 Pro that you recommended. I think I’ll wait until late September or early October as I think the new phone should be coming out and then-prices of the older phone should drop a bit (I’m told).

Our trip starts Oct. 7 and I expect to take thousands of photos. I just have to decide how much storage I need. Any advice on that would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera , cell phone , iphone , samsung galaxy