Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Not technically a hot sauce, but does anyone know where I can find this Thai chili paste? It's incredibly delicious in any kind of noodle soup dish, and I'm running dangerously low. T&T used to carry it but I haven't found it on my last few visits
Maybe not the same but I've been liking chili crisp as a condiment. Salty and spicy! Could be worth a try.

Only really hot sauce I have on hand is Dave's insanity. It's ok in certain dishes but I have to be careful
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not technically a hot sauce, but does anyone know where I can find this Thai chili paste? It's incredibly delicious in any kind of noodle soup dish, and I'm running dangerously low. T&T used to carry it but I haven't found it on my last few visits
Did you try Lucky?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #23
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been using this one lately. Pretty good flavour with a decent amount of heat.

Also can't go wrong with Blair's. Plus you get a keychain!
Old 01-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
For the holidays, my wife got me the season 16 full set of hot sauces from Hot Ones.

https://heatonist.com/collections/ho...39394065186914

I took it to a holiday party where all the men tried every sauce at least once to run the gauntlet. No joke at all, Da Bomb is ####ing gross and downright impossible to eat. Every other sauce, including the Apollo, was tasty if not crazy hot. Hellfire was close to being impossible to eat as well.

My favorites included the Bliss & Vinegar, which had a hint of strawberry in it, and the Señor Lechuga adobo, black lime, and ghost pepper (the generic label one). All others had good and bad points, and I was surprised that only the last 3 were too much for me. There's serious heat in most of these, but if you know what to expect, it's not too bad and quite tasty. Not for the faint of heart though...if you find Tabasco or Sriracha too hot, stay faaaar away from these.
Ahhh...so they don't do them in order of hotness. I tried "Da Bomb" by dipping a chip into it. It was ridiculously painful. I always wondered how they managed to keep going hotter after that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Ahhh...so they don't do them in order of hotness. I tried "Da Bomb" by dipping a chip into it. It was ridiculously painful. I always wondered how they managed to keep going hotter after that.
They do it in order of Scoville Units, so the two after Da Bomb are technically hotter. The issue with Da Bomb though is that it's capsica extract, not just straight pepper mash, so it hits you full force immediately with no build up and without any pleasant pepper taste to accompany. If you look at first few seasons of Hot Ones the last two hot sauces are Mad Dog 357 and Blair's Mega Death, both also capsica extract and hit just as hard if not harder than da bomb (they just taste slightly better). I was able to eat a plate of ribs coated in Mad Dog 357, but my mouth went numb and the next morning was the worst ring of fire I've ever had in my life. I've got a bottle of both Hellfire and Last Dab in my fridge and while very hot, I don't have any lasting issues eating those. Capsica extract sauces are just pain in a bottle
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 06:57 PM   #26
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cholula is my favourite. It's not even really hot at all, but I like the flavour a lot. Chipotle version is also good.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #27
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked up this smoked ghost Pepper sauce in Hawaii years ago. Such a good flavour with the touch of smokiness, and good heat. Didn't realize it was on Hot Ones until just now.

https://www.armadillopepper.com/prod...d-ghost-pepper

Also have their Trinidad scorpion sauce. Its hot.

https://adoboloco.com/shop/maui-noka...corpion-sauce/
Old 01-20-2022, 07:20 PM   #28
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
John Cena likes the Lao Gan Ma. I have a bottle and like it too. Not so much for the spicyness, but the overall flavour is really solid.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1045933836054355969
LaoGamMa is awesome! Old Dry Woman! It goes great with noodles or fried rice. Definitely not spicy but has a great flavour.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 07:26 PM   #29
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My favourite brand is called Picamas, and you can sometimes get at the Latin markets or usually online. Not too spicy, great flavours. What I don't like is that the tasty green sauce has a bunch of additives in it. So do the red and orange (hottest), but not as many.

Amazing on chicken or on a club sandwich. Thank me later.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 01-20-2022 at 07:28 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #30
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to have a dozen sauces at any given time but now days I just stick to Tapatio. It's spicy but not crazy hot and tastes great. Good everyday sauce on eggs, roasted veggies, burgers, wings, etc.

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Okay, but what's the best hot sauce to put in your used condom so you don't end up with an unwanted kid after your one-night stand digs through your trash to try to impregnate herself? Asking for Drake.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:44 PM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Good topic, always hard to find a good hot sauce that fits what you are looking for.
Have been a bit disappointed with all the things I've tried lately.

I'd recommend the buldak sauce I find from our local Korean Mart. I was really addicted to this stuff for a while, goes amazing with burgers/pizza/pasta type things (actually made Kraft Dinner amazing when I tried it on a lazy night).

Is that the same as in their volcano chicken ramen packs? That stuff is horrific if you use the whole sauce pack.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered a couple from heartbeat hot sauce, hopefully they are good.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:21 PM   #34
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
For the holidays, my wife got me the season 16 full set of hot sauces from Hot Ones.

https://heatonist.com/collections/ho...39394065186914

I took it to a holiday party where all the men tried every sauce at least once to run the gauntlet. No joke at all, Da Bomb is ####ing gross and downright impossible to eat. Every other sauce, including the Apollo, was tasty if not crazy hot. Hellfire was close to being impossible to eat as well.

My favorites included the Bliss & Vinegar, which had a hint of strawberry in it, and the Señor Lechuga adobo, black lime, and ghost pepper (the generic label one). All others had good and bad points, and I was surprised that only the last 3 were too much for me. There's serious heat in most of these, but if you know what to expect, it's not too bad and quite tasty. Not for the faint of heart though...if you find Tabasco or Sriracha too hot, stay faaaar away from these.
I'm currently waiting on them to come in!

I need to know if I can complete the 10, particularly Da Bomb.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:53 PM   #35
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Did you try Lucky?
Would try both Tops and Lambda Markets on centre st as well
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:28 AM   #36
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I would counter with buying some Lao Gan Ma chilli oil. Stuff is amazingly delicious and goes on almost everything I eat. I eat about a jar a month.

Spoiler!

As for hot sauces, my search begins and ends with Dave's sauces. A nice variety of flavor, all the way to the hottest of the hot. My mouth is watering and I am sweating just typing this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-21-2022 at 05:32 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:41 AM   #37
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

La Guacamaya Chipotle Sauce. Says medium on the bottle, I'd say maybe a 3 out of 10 but it has excellent flavour.

Red Diabo Spanish Hot sauce. Again, probably only a 3 out of 10, but so tasty.

I can handle hotter, but I don't like when things are hot just for the sake of hot. I dislike any "Buffalo" flavor regardless of heat level. I don't mind a burning mouth as long as there is flavour.

It's like with Taco Bell sauces. Fire is my favourite as it is made with real peppers whereas Diablo (not available in Ontario, have to go to the States) is hotter but doesn't taste anywhere near as good and is made without peppers. My son prefers the taste of it though, so what do I know.

Last edited by zukes; 01-21-2022 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added Taco Bell sauces
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tons of good ones listed in this thread already that I like.

I would just add that I used to laugh at Franks Red Hot being a "hot sauce", but the extra hot Franks Red Hot is actually really good. Pleasantly surprised.

Can I piggy back and talk about salsa too? Most commercial salsas kinda suck, and never come close to the stuff you get at authentic Mexican restaurants. Anyone have tips to get some in Calgary?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Can I piggy back and talk about salsa too? Most commercial salsas kinda suck, and never come close to the stuff you get at authentic Mexican restaurants. Anyone have tips to get some in Calgary?
salsa or pico?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #40
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
They do it in order of Scoville Units, so the two after Da Bomb are technically hotter. The issue with Da Bomb though is that it's capsica extract, not just straight pepper mash, so it hits you full force immediately with no build up and without any pleasant pepper taste to accompany. If you look at first few seasons of Hot Ones the last two hot sauces are Mad Dog 357 and Blair's Mega Death, both also capsica extract and hit just as hard if not harder than da bomb (they just taste slightly better). I was able to eat a plate of ribs coated in Mad Dog 357, but my mouth went numb and the next morning was the worst ring of fire I've ever had in my life. I've got a bottle of both Hellfire and Last Dab in my fridge and while very hot, I don't have any lasting issues eating those. Capsica extract sauces are just pain in a bottle
That does make sense. The extract hot sauces are definitely a different beast.

I have a bottle of hellfire and Mad Dog 357 Silver too. The Hellfire is actually pretty usable. The Mad Dog Silver, which is twice as hot as the regular one....not so much. I keep it in the fridge purely for novelty purposes.

Edit: I bought them at this hot sauce store in Vancouver:

https://www.solowfoods.ca/shop

There's somehow a 2nd one here too:

https://lucifershouseofheat.com/

Apparently the demand for hot sauce is big.

Last edited by blankall; 01-21-2022 at 09:57 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote