Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #621
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like how she appears to want to rush it immediately, but now that I've actually sat down and read the plan I have to say I actually like it. Or at least big parts of it. I'd be curious what 'fat' can be trimmed off to make funding more realistic

Last edited by btimbit; 06-08-2022 at 12:37 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #622
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Why is the scheduling of an item being made into some big issue? Like or Hate the report, nothing is going to change in it from today to a month from now. I also don't think any councillors minds are going to change from now to a month from now either.
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #623
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
Why is the scheduling of an item being made into some big issue? Like or Hate the report, nothing is going to change in it from today to a month from now. I also don't think any councillors minds are going to change from now to a month from now either.
Cause, she's the worst Mayor ever, that's why! /s
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #624
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Cause, she's the worst Mayor ever, that's why! /s
Who's talking about Al Duerr?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #625
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Al Duerr? Pfff, please...

Ross Alger. The only one-term mayor we've had in generations and he lost his re-election campaign to a drunkard CFCN reporter.

Last edited by timun; 06-08-2022 at 02:33 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #626
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

To me it seems like the whole job of being mayor is an annoying inconvenience to Gondek while she pads her resume for a run at federal politics. She's more interested in sound bites than effective city management. I still don't regret voting for her since the alternatives were worse, but I'll definitely be looking for better options next time around
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #627
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness, I didn't live here back in the Ross Alger days.

But seriously: I voted for Gondek, I want her to be successful because her success should mean Calgary's success. But I don't feel like the mayor I voted for is who I got when they won.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #628
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
To me it seems like the whole job of being mayor is an annoying inconvenience to Gondek while she pads her resume for a run at federal politics. She's more interested in sound bites than effective city management. I still don't regret voting for her since the alternatives were worse, but I'll definitely be looking for better options next time around
Is that a thing with her?

She does seem to be infinitely more interested in scoring quick social media points.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #629
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Is that a thing with her?

She does seem to be infinitely more interested in scoring quick social media points.
Just an assumption on my part. Why else concentrate so hard on scoring social media points instead of doing her job?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #630
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary getting called out on the hypocrisy of "do as I say, not as I do", along with some other cities.

Quote:
Despite declaring “climate emergencies,” urging the public to get out of their cars and take transit, and calling for the phase-out of natural gas, 19 Canadian cities have handed out over 5,400 free parking passes to city council members, city staff and other politicians.
Quote:
City of Calgary data show the city is quite generous with the free parking passes it hands out — 1,072 free passes in 2020 alone. In addition to parkade passes, city council members also receive special “Park as Required” cards that allow them to park at metered parking spots for free anywhere in the city. Maybe the new council will cut the passes now that there’s a climate emergency?
https://financialpost.com/opinion/co...parking-for-me
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #631
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Slow news day? Of all the issues/concerns with this council, god damn PARKING PASSES are now the concern? Quick search, Calgary has 13k municpial employees...so that's less than 10% with the glorified golden parking passes.

And who in their right mind is suggesting "phasing out natural gas"??

Omg this just made mad reading it haha. I thought it was fairly well known that one of the perks of city job was a possible parking pass.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #632
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Conservative think-tanks gonna conservative. "Y'see, if the gubmint's still giving out parking passes to staff then the 'climate emergency' is a bunch of malarkey they don't even believe, the hypocrites!"
Old 06-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #633
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Usually I'm on the side of not focusing on minor issues or "gotcha!" moments, but I don't think any downtown city employees should be getting free parking, that does indeed exacerbate the problem with too many cars and with too many people using their vehicles in preference to public transit. Sometimes symbolism is important, if city council wants to lead the way, they have to make sacrifices of their own to convince people they're serious.

They should also be leading the way in work-from-home programs and virtualizing every single function that can be so treated, going as paperless as feasible. And if they already are, their propaganda people (aka media relations) should be ensuring that these immediate efforts are foremost in the public mind, rather than talk of fifty or sixty year goals.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #634
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No issue with a council having a "park anywhere" pass. I mean, they'd just expense the parking costs anyway, and they kinda have jobs that should require them to be out and about.

Peons slaving away on a "standard 35 hour work week" downtown though? They can pay like the rest of us.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #635
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Slow news day? Of all the issues/concerns with this council, god damn PARKING PASSES are now the concern? Quick search, Calgary has 13k municpial employees...so that's less than 10% with the glorified golden parking passes.

And who in their right mind is suggesting "phasing out natural gas"??

Omg this just made mad reading it haha. I thought it was fairly well known that one of the perks of city job was a possible parking pass.
well it's a perk that probably 90% of them shouldn't have.

The article is right. You want to declare a climate emergency and be a green leader, don't incentivize city workers to drive when many of them probably don't need to.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 01:55 PM   #636
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, if there wasn't a pass, they would just expenses these things because they're work related. That would just increase costs to track it all.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #637
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No issue with a council having a "park anywhere" pass. I mean, they'd just expense the parking costs anyway, and they kinda have jobs that should require them to be out and about.

Peons slaving away on a "standard 35 hour work week" downtown though? They can pay like the rest of us.
The passes would be a taxable benefit, like they are for those of us who are fortunate enough to have employers who also pay for our parking.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #638
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, they don’t actually specify how many of those 1000 passes are for the municipal parkade. Pretty sure their OWCs require parking passes for staff.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #639
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Manchester Yards southeast of the Stampede Grounds has to account for hundreds and hundreds of passes alone. It's not so much an employee "perk" as it is an access restriction, to prevent the public from filling the lots...
Old 06-29-2022, 04:24 PM   #640
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't the climate emergency declaration the very first order of business for our mayor?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote