Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Historic NHL Game Summaries

I'm starting this thread in the off-topic forum in order to have one place
to post random summaries of historic games.

These posts will follow the format I started in the Spring of 2020 during
the main Covid shutdown period when there was no NHL action.
That 4-month thread with daily game reports from the Flames 1989 Stanley Cup season is here:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ght=bobbylouie

This is a spin-off of that with the games in a similar format.
At that time, I mentioned that I had similar reports for every NHL game played from 1961 thru 1991, and intermittently from that point forward
including all Flames' games through 2001.

Since the time that thread was completed, I received occasional
requests from people who were looking for specific games for
various personal reasons. Things like "do you have the first game I ever attended in 1966???"

I then would post them in scattered places here on CP, so I thought
it would make more sense to have one thread for when the situation
arises to keep them together and make them easier to access.

This week I got a private message from a CP member for a Flames' exhibition game from 1995, so below is that game.

Last edited by bobbylouie; 01-19-2022 at 01:05 PM.
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default 950918 Calgary Flames at Hartford Whalers (exhibition game)

Last edited by bobbylouie; 01-19-2022 at 05:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks again BL! Hopefully this thread picks up momentum--selfishly I have no issue being the main person who requests game logs from you

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Jason Muzzatti ever suit up for Calgary again? I seem to remember him getting traded right after this game.

Also, I could have sworn there were multiple fights in this game--maybe I am confusing it with another Pierre Page era CGY/HFD matchup.

And THANK YOU a ton for confirming that Jim Paek did play for the Flames, albeit just a few pre-season games. This has legit been a personal mystery for me for what seemed like the last 25 years. My only proof had been my 8-year old memory at this game because I do not think a single image of him exists in a Flames jersey.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A note in the Calgary Herald game story of October 8, 1995,
three weeks later, covers in detail what happened to Muzzatti.

See "Moving on 2"

Also, the boxscores for some of the exhibition games were
incomplete and it's entirely possible that fights occurred and
were penalized but don't appear in these reports.

We never prepared these exhibition game reports to the
same standard as the regular season or playoff games.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylouie View Post
Yay I make more now than Sandy McCarthy did in '94/'95 season.

Ha!!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #6
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very telling of the financial straits of that time period that the exact same group of players collectively made about 20% more money (CAD) in the span of about 10 months. (And that's factoring for Canadian dollar's value vs USD actually going up over the course of the 1995 calendar year.)

Two years later Chris Gratton was making >$10,000,000 (USD). Inflation-adjusted that's the equivalent of about $17.6M in today's dollars. Can you imagine a player like Chris Gratton making that kind of scratch in today's NHL? Absolutely ####ing bananas how quickly NHL player salaries escalated in the 1990s.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #7
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Seeing this pre-season game summary had me thinking about PTO players. Guys that, I would think, most of us never knew played for the Flames--Jim Paek and Dean Kennedy are good examples from the 95-96 pre-season. Would be curious to see what other deep cuts we could find from these pre-season summaries. Would it be possible to pull other random pre-season games?

Always fun seeing some of these summaries, as the game logs from that era were always super PIM heavy with guys trying to make a name for themselves. I think there is a legendary Sandy McCarthy/Marty McSorley fight from either the 94-95 or 95-96 Pre-season?
Old 01-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #8
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The pre-season games will always be hit and miss but you're
always welcome to ask.

I would say pick a season and I'll pick the game, or just let me pick a game
that has something unusual.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I always liked the 92-93 season as a whole (yeah, the Flames should have been better). Curious if you have any pre-season gems that stick out from that year?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #10
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default The Death of Bill Masterton

Was asked today by someone to post the details of the game in which Bill Masterton sustained his fatal injury in 1968.

To get a more full picture, it's necessary to post two games:

1) Saturday, January 13, 1968 - Oakland at Minnesota, the game in which the injury occurred, and....

2) Sunday, January 14, 1968 - Minnesota at Boston, with Masteron's fate not yet fully known and only part of the North Stars team able to arrive (late) for a game against the Bruins after traveling all day through a blizzard.

Masterton would die early on Monday morning, with a moment of silence recognized at the NHL all-star game on Tuesday the 16th in Toronto.

After that, the North Stars were scheduled to play 4 games in 5 nights starting on Wednesday, with Masterton's funeral scheduled for Thursday morning and a home game that night against Philadelphia. The team
asked for postponements but were denied by the league, so were forced to play in St. Louis on Wednesday night, fly home to attend the funeral on Thursday morning, then play a game against first place Philadelphia in the evening. The Flyers' team, already in town, also attended the funeral, along with a few players and representatives from other teams around the league.

Most notable was George Konik of the Pittsburgh Penguins, a friend and teammate of Masterton's from their days at the University of Denver. Konik played in a game in Oakland on Wednesday night, flew to Minneapolis to be a pall bearer on Thursday morning, then flew back to Los Angeles to play against the Kings on Thursday night.

League president Clarence Campbell insisted that no scheduling accommodations would be made for any players or teams.

Masterton's funeral on Thursday morning:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #11
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hi BL! Hoping to revive this thread again (selfish reasons, I know!). Another mid-90s Pre-Season Flames mystery that I am hoping you can help me solve. Over on Instagram, I follow an amazing account called 90shockeycards. He posted a group of cards the other day that featured shots from Copps Coliseum, and in them there were two cards featuring Flames favorites Jason Muzzatti and Andrei Trefilov. I have always been super familiar with these two cards (93-94 Upper Deck for JM and 93-94 Parkhurst for AT) but one thing I never realized were that both of these pictures are from Copps Coliseum, presumably the exact same game.

BL, any idea when this game is from? My gut tells me the 93-94 pre-season. Can you help me out here??
Old 11-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #12
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Hi BL! Hoping to revive this thread again (selfish reasons, I know!). Another mid-90s Pre-Season Flames mystery that I am hoping you can help me solve. Over on Instagram, I follow an amazing account called 90shockeycards. He posted a group of cards the other day that featured shots from Copps Coliseum, and in them there were two cards featuring Flames favorites Jason Muzzatti and Andrei Trefilov. I have always been super familiar with these two cards (93-94 Upper Deck for JM and 93-94 Parkhurst for AT) but one thing I never realized were that both of these pictures are from Copps Coliseum, presumably the exact same game.

BL, any idea when this game is from? My gut tells me the 93-94 pre-season. Can you help me out here??
The Flames played against Vancouver September 27, 1993 in Hamilton (and won 7-4). Muzzatti and Trefilov both played in that game. If you want the box score or anything let me know, I found it through the Calgary Herald archives that the Calgary Public Library provides access to (page 33 of the September 28, 1993 edition).
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #13
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
The Flames played against Vancouver September 27, 1993 in Hamilton (and won 7-4). Muzzatti and Trefilov both played in that game. If you want the box score or anything let me know, I found it through the Calgary Herald archives that the Calgary Public Library provides access to (page 33 of the September 28, 1993 edition).
Awesome! Thanks for the info and would love too see the box score and game summary.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:22 PM   #14
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info and would love too see the box score and game summary.
https://imgur.com/a/UQzhDiW
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #15
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yay I make more now than Sandy McCarthy did in '94/'95 season.

Ha!!
Weird flex..... but ok lol.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks again! Love seeing these old pre-season box scores. In a way they sort of fall into the 'lost media' bucket as there are really no official records of these anywhere. Really cool to see some of the storylines play out (was the next game fight filled as well?) and rediscover guys who played for us on PTOs (Jim Paek and Dean Kennedy come to mind)
Old 11-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobel View Post
Weird flex..... but ok lol.
Just taking it where I can get it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:33 AM   #18
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default 910309 Calgary 8 at St. Louis 4 (Theo Fleury shorthanded hat trick)

Last Wednesday in the Minnesota-Colorado game, Frederic Gaudreau scored two shorthanded goals
and was on the ice in the final minute with the Wild a man down and the Avalanche net empty,
with a chance to complete a shorthanded hat trick.

It didn't happen, but it did cause the announcers to make several references to the only shorthanded hat trick
in NHL history, by Theo Fleury of the Flames on March 9, 1991 against St. Louis.
A CP member asked to me to post the report from that game.
Besides the historical nature of Fleury's accomplishment, the game was played just after that season's trade deadline
and the report includes some interesting personal tidbits about the players involved.
The game also included a major brawl in the final seconds.

Last edited by bobbylouie; 04-03-2023 at 11:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #19
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did not expect to see car bombing mentioned.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:32 PM   #20
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default October 5, 1996 - Calgary at Vancouver - Iginla First Regular Season Game

Perhaps inspired by watching the new faces debut for the Flames in the
season finale, I got a request to post the report from Jarome Iginla's first
regular season game for the Flames in October 1996. Iginla had already
played in 2 playoff games for the team the previous spring.

===========================================

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post: