Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #21
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I vote Cuphead. Haven't played most of the others but Cuphead was gorgeous and fun.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's an award for best cutscenes Wolfenstein II: The New Order would win hands down. Arguably the best I have ever seen for humour.

Spoiler!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #23
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
3) Star Wars Battlefront 2
4) Mass Effect Andromeda
5) Destiny 2

Two garbage pay 2 win games and a half baked (hehe) follow up to the greatest game trilogy of all time. Those games shouldn't be anywhere near any best of the year lists.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Holy crap can I change my vote? I completely forgot about Divinity: Original Sin 2 which was excellent, and the reviews of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are sounding pretty terrible.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post

Two garbage pay 2 win games and a half baked (hehe) follow up to the greatest game trilogy of all time. Those games shouldn't be anywhere near any best of the year lists.
Well where's your list? Let me guess, same as everyone else's?

To be fair, I'm not sure which two of those is pay-to-win. You could definitely argue that in the case of Battlefront 2 when it launched, but as it stands right now that's not the case. A game with crappy microtransactions can still be a good game at its core. Destiny 2 isn't pay-to-win in any sense that I can conceive of. Its purchasable items are cosmetic.

As for Andromeda, I maintain it's one of the better games that I sunk time in to this year. Yes, not quite as good narratively as the first three, but still a Mass Effect game and quite fun to play.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Resident Evil VII
No other game this year pulled the nostalgic strings of my heart while also slapping me in the face with a brand new gaming experience. Watching Resident Evil return to it's terrifying roots while also seeing it take such a meaningful step in proving that VR is in fact the future was the most enjoyable gaming experience of the year for me.

2. What Remains of Edith Finch
I'm currently playing this right now, and couldn't be more in love with it. What a genuinely unique and intriguing game. I love it.

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
Seeing a brand new AAA IP come out like Horizon was a joy. The storytelling was great, the world was intriguing and unique, and Alloy was a strong character. The unique ways in which you could approach any given battle also struck a chord with me. In games like this, I usually tend to find a specific weapon that works for me and I stick with it, but Horizon challenged me to and then rewarded me for playing with the full arsenal. Cool game, cool world.

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Actively playing through this right now and can't sing it's praises enough. I love the studio (Ninja Theory), and I think the way they tackle pressing social issues (mental health) to be well executed and important to show that stories in games should take more risks.

Check out the dev diaries here:

5. Star Wars Battlefront II
Throw away the ugly microtransactions that EA shoved down their fans throat's this year across most of their titles (Need for Speed also suffered from this, and UFC 3 looks like it does as well), and just focus in on what DICE did right. They absolutely nailed the Star Wars universe and made it a real joy to play in. I love this game, and am also quite glad that the online community revolted so violently against the pay to win structure of it's microtransactions. Hopefully we see change for the better - because the craftsmanship found in this game deserves better.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Zelda: BOTW - Easy choice for me, my favorite Zelda

Mario - Amazing game, still can't get over these great handheld games

PUBG - Still needs work but it's pure fun and the best yet in its genre. It deserves the recognition

Pokemon Ultra Sun - Pokemon continues to be one of my favorite series to pour too many hours into
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:20 AM   #28
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Holy crap can I change my vote? I completely forgot about Divinity: Original Sin 2 which was excellent, and the reviews of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are sounding pretty terrible.
The reviews are pretty good...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #29
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Interesting to see Wolfenstein 2 get so much love. I was incredibly disappointed in the game. Yes the story was good stuff, and very well acted, but gameplay just never really clicked for me other then a couple small spots.(courthouse)

You have a world where you can use 1960 Nazi occupied America and still give me ships, bunkers and underground facilities. Let me Battle in the streets, let me feel like I’m part of a revolution.

No MP, forgettable enigma missions, and combat that coming from Doom 2016 and even New order felt...not great.

By no means a horrible game overall, but GOTY?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #30
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:

We get that you hate Destiny already, but you seem misinformed.

Destiny is not pay to win, bright engrams are cosmetic items. There is enough issues with the game but pay to win is not one of them. It also has the best gunplay of almost all the shooters released this year.

Battlefront 2 and EA are getting their teeth kicked in on the paybto win system they put in place, but if you can get past that, the game is actually incredibly fun. Playing on the Hoth map will put a smile on any Star War fans face.

Can’t speak to Andromeda, but I have heard patch support has cleaned up many technical issues, but many fans were disappointed.

Feel free to add your list rather then drive by attacks on other people’s list
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #31
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Wow, also totally forgot about Hellblade. Amazing game and such a unique experience. For a 30$ title at release I loved it. Played through the entire game over two sessions. Heard it did well so love to see developers take risks that pay off
Old 12-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Interesting to see Wolfenstein 2 get so much love. I was incredibly disappointed in the game. Yes the story was good stuff, and very well acted, but gameplay just never really clicked for me other then a couple small spots.(courthouse)

You have a world where you can use 1960 Nazi occupied America and still give me ships, bunkers and underground facilities. Let me Battle in the streets, let me feel like I’m part of a revolution.

No MP, forgettable enigma missions, and combat that coming from Doom 2016 and even New order felt...not great.

By no means a horrible game overall, but GOTY?

Quote:
You are the complain about Wolfenstein being high on peoples lists then get upset when someone criticizes your list?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #33
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

You are the complain about Wolfenstein being high on peoples lists then get upset when someone criticizes your list?
I didn’t criticize it being on anyone’s list, I said I was surprised it was rating so high with some people and gave my reasoning. I own it and played through the entire thing, not a random post like “Wolfenstein 2 sucks”
Old 12-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t criticize it being on anyone’s list, I said I was surprised it was rating so high with some people and gave my reasoning. I own it and played through the entire thing, not a random post like “Wolfenstein 2 sucks”
Well you have Destiny 2 on your list to which I also played and feel it doesn't belong anywhere near a GOTY list but I didn't feel the need to make a comment about it. If you start commenting on what other people are putting on their list you open yourself up to criticism as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #35
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well you have Destiny 2 on your list to which I also played and feel it doesn't belong anywhere near a GOTY list but I didn't feel the need to make a comment about it. If you start commenting on what other people are putting on their list you open yourself up to criticism as well.
I’m totally fine with someone criticizing my list, but he incorrectly called the game pay to win, which is not true.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Assassin's Creed Origins
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Prey

2017 has had a handful of fantastic games, but lots of disappointments as well. South Park, Battlefront, Mass Effect, Shadow of War...
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #37
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Assassin's Creed Origins
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Prey

2017 has had a handful of fantastic games, but lots of disappointments as well. South Park, Battlefront, Mass Effect, Shadow of War...
Agree with many titles on your list

Been a good year for games
Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated to this point
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #39
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I didn't even realize how few new games I've played this year. I plan on starting horizon this week but other than that I think PUBG and Cod are the only 2017 games I've played, and I refunded them both. Have AC origins too but only played 3 hours so far and sure wouldn't claim it to be in contention for GOTY

Last edited by btimbit; 12-03-2017 at 02:40 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #40
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pubg numba 1
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post: